Waze suggests I drive down alleys

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Waze suggests I drive down alleys

Postby failsafe » Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:06 pm

That is certainly a move in the right direction!
Former Area manager: Chicago Metro Area, Kenosha, and Saint Louis
ImageImage
failsafe

Postby failsafe » Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:00 am

I could, but then someone else would just draw them in again.

It just feels like we're constantly working against each other.
ImageImage
failsafe

Postby failsafe » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:58 am

If used for the final destination, then the address or POI coordinates returned by the search provider is closer to the alley than the street. Depending on the neighborhood and where visitors should be directed to get to your location, the private rd/alley may be appropriate or not.

In Chicago, the default is generally not. We've had someone recently jump from editing level 1 to 4 rather quickly seemingly doing nothing but activating alley turns. Alleys here are usually applicable for homeowners with garages, who already know the last few blocks to the destination.

I tell people using Waze to never count on the last few blocks; only that it might know more about traffic conditions and get them to an area faster. In the past 3 weeks, I've been misrouted to alleys for final destinations twice in Chicago.
ImageImage
failsafe

Postby davidhperry » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:48 am

pinpusher wrote:Per https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Illinois#Alleys "As a general rule, alleys should not be mapped. They clutter the map and can cause routing issues." Chicago alleys should be removed, it as much quicker to remove them than to move 100,000 address pins.

Does this mean that moving address pins will resolve the problem? I ask because I've been routed through alleys several times here in Nashville, and it happened enough to make me start with WME. I've googled and done my own research, but I haven't landed on a definitive answer. If a residential house number pin is closer to the primary street than an alley, will it preclude the system from routing through alleys? Or, does the location of the pin within the property matter at all, since the routing is based on the stop point?
davidhperry

Postby CBenson » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:04 pm

The routing is to the stop point of the house number, so the location of the pin within the property does not matter. The caveats include a) the house number is not used until it has been touched by an editor in WME and b) if the address does not match the Google address, a search may still result in using the Google pin location.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902
CBenson

Postby Bigbear3764 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:08 pm

jasonh300 wrote:There is no practical purpose for putting an "Alley" label on an alley.

Via my iPhone 3GS.

Well, the one that helped last year when I started was that all these alleys were marked as streets. With a name attached, I could select all segments and change a large section to plots with one save. What would guidance do with an unnamed street when it wants you to turn on it? Won't it give the name of the next named segment? I think that's more confusing than giving a turn right on alley direction. At least I know where it's sending me.

As far as deleting them, the only problem I see is that they will be added again. Kinda like plot roads everywhere else. Never ending battle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Image Image
SM Illinois ILL Functional Class Map
CM North America
ILL Wiki
Bigbear3764
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby Bigbear3764 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:15 pm

ArlenBystander wrote:
I would also suggest the Illinois wiki section be updated with whatever is agreed upon to aid future new editors.

This is my after Xmas break plan is to attack and set up the wiki for our area. I'm just not the computer savi guy. I have been looking how it is set up in other states. Wisconsin just updated theirs and Connecticut has a real nice one.

Image Image
CM North America
ILL Wiki
Bigbear3764
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby Bigbear3764 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:24 pm

In Chicago, the alleys are set proper as parking lot roads. The reason people get sent down them to get to an address is due to bing having the house marker set back on the property so the alley becomes closer.

You can go to bing and get your address marker moved or go out in front of your house and tap and hold your screen to set current location. Then save as home.

Image Image
CM North America
ILL Wiki
Bigbear3764
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby Bigbear3764 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:06 pm

I read it somewhere on here posted and someone else recommended it.

Ok, now I found it. I have gone thru Wiki, mainly for exit ramp naming. Your right, I see now where it is stated under Parking lots. Back to the drawing board and fix all my screw ups.

Image Image
CM North America
ILL Wiki
Bigbear3764
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby Bigbear3764 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:21 pm

Red arrow restriction at alleys and edit them to a service road is what is recommended.

I too have seen a lot of driving error posts for them, I have been editing the ones on the very north side.

Image Image
CM North America
ILL Wiki
Bigbear3764
Country Manager
Country Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Navigation & Routing