Waze late again

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Waze late again

Postby MichaelHelmSunny » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:08 pm

Recent Waze on Android & iOS
Waze is giving turn directions too late to be useful
"Now turn left" when you are already in the intersection,
in a Silicon Valley 5 lane expressway doesn't work.

I don't think it is preparing you for the turn in time either
(left side, right side) but it is definitely missing the beat
on the turn instruction pretty consistently.
MichaelHelmSunny

Re: Waze late again

Postby RussPA » Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:31 pm

Waze can't tell you to actually turn left before you get to the intersection, or it would be confusing. But it does give you advanced notice that a left turn is coming up. How far in advance it gives you that notice is something that may be adjustable, so you may want to post this in the CA forum with specific examples so local editors can see if any adjustments can be done.
[ img ] [ img ] [ img ] [ img ] [ img ][ img ] [ img ]
USA LC, USA CM, PA SM
WME Beta Community Coordinator
RussPA
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Late notice when approaching

Postby SleepySumo » Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:20 am

It seems as though notifications to make turns come right when you need to turn. I get a notification from the previous turn as to when the next directional will be, but when we get to the next turn, I need to anticipate it before it says to actually turn. There is no 500 foot, 100 foot, or even 50 foot notice...just turn now. Any kind of setting for how early the notification comes?
SleepySumo

Postby bobc455 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:53 pm

In addition to the actual turn instruction at the exit/intersection, there is a typically "secondary warning" (about 50-60 seconds before the turn), giving you time to make appropriate lane change, before the actual turn instruction. Something like "In 0.9 miles, exit left". (The distance is much shorter in lower-speed situations).

In some cases there is also a third, longer distance warning (about 5-1/2 miles of freeway).

Do you get those other turn notifications?

-Bob C.
bobc455
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby apurohit8 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:27 am

I'm seeing this problem recently, too. I get the long-distance warning (about 5 miles away)... but no intermediate notification, and just the final "turn now" type notification which is usually WAY too late to make the turn. It used to provide the intermediate notification, but recent versions have stopped (for the past many months, at least). Any ideas on how to fix this?
apurohit8

Postby RussPA » Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:55 pm

Waze is mainly a traffic avoidance app, that is its main function. The other stuff is fluff on top. Even Google maps now utilizes the crowd sourced traffic info from Waze. So it's not entirely fair to compare Waze to Google maps, as they each have different goals. And yes, Google owns Waze.
[ img ] [ img ] [ img ] [ img ] [ img ][ img ] [ img ]
USA LC, USA CM, PA SM
WME Beta Community Coordinator
RussPA
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby apurohit8 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:56 pm

DauserShenkt wrote:Waze needs to pick their act up fast in this area.

And that's the reason I posted... to see if I'm doing something wrong, or if Waze needs to fix something. Sounds like the latter, which is fine... I just want to make sure the issue is addressed.

It worked fine in the past, so we all know it can be done... just a matter of getting Waze to hear the feedback, which is why I posted.
apurohit8

Postby furman87 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:29 pm

This is still happening in 2019. With Google Maps, I get the directions in a timely manner so I can get in the correct lane and turn. With Waze, I'm on top of my turn when they tell me I need to make it. If you're going 45-50 mph, it's too late and you'll miss your turn. What I don't understand is that they'll tell you, "In half a mile, turn right on Main St", and if you're unfamiliar with the area, you can't go by the voice directions alone, you need to keep glancing at your phone.

This really needs to be fixed.
furman87

Postby jm6087 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:58 am

furman87 wrote:This is still happening in 2019. With Google Maps, I get the directions in a timely manner so I can get in the correct lane and turn. With Waze, I'm on top of my turn when they tell me I need to make it. If you're going 45-50 mph, it's too late and you'll miss your turn. What I don't understand is that they'll tell you, "In half a mile, turn right on Main St", and if you're unfamiliar with the area, you can't go by the voice directions alone, you need to keep glancing at your phone.

This really needs to be fixed.

Waze can't make everyone happy. I was just reading a post the other day from someone that said Waze gives to many notifications and to far in advance.

A lot has changed since 2016.

What is hard to understand about "in a half a mile you will need to turn right". This means you should get to the right lane so you can begin to slow down and prepare to make a right turn.
The actual distance of this notification varies depending on speed but is usually a minute or 2 out. If it is a long distance before the next turn, you are told something like "in 50 miles turn right on xx street", so you know that before go 50 miles you need to switch prepare.
jm6087
Country Manager
Country Manager

Return to Navigation & Routing