Learning my routes

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Learning my routes

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:53 pm

Waze does not learn routes. It learns destinations. There is no way to "train" Waze to learn routes. The option in settings is misnamed. We've asked Waze to rename it for... oh, well about a year? At least 9 months.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | Oregon Project/To-Do List
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone5 - VZ - iOS 7.0.6 | Waze v3.7.9.992
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:11 pm

reflon wrote:You cannot cross that median but sometimes it will tell you to. So as you can see these examples are the reason I say turn restrictions need to be an absolute.

Turn restrictions are pretty hard and fast, but to make them absolute I don't think can be the final answer. Waze works just like real life: there is often no such thing as an absolute. If someone screws up the map and there is literally no other way out of the area you are in, how pissed off would you be if Waze said, "Sorry, I can't give you directions because there is no way out."? Many people would delete it and never look back. One of those turn restrictions is likely wrong, so Waze may give you the route that breaks the turn restriction you literally cannot cross the street for, or it may give another. Because there is no concept (yet) of a u-turn on 2-way segments in Waze, you may end up having to do that. That's why we have brains. Relying on a GPS device to give flawless instructions at all times is what is making us all stupid and unable to think independently. "I can't turn left here? Oh, geez, I guess I'll have to turn right..... Oh, look, I can do a u-turn right here and go back the way I need do." Shazaam!
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:35 pm

edEskankus wrote:Back on topic. I'm confused. Waze does or doesn't learn preferred routes? I'm finding it does not. I get options to work, but none of my "shortcuts" are ever incorporated even thought they shave time and distance off of travel time and I use them virtually every commute.

Did you read this thread, like the 2nd post? And you're looking in the list of 3 alternate routes, right?

Depending on distance and defined street types, Waze may not consider certain streets, which is a shortcoming to some, and a great feature for others. Until Waze has accurate data for all segments or possible routes, it may also not make the best decisions. It may think that it's original route for you 1) is still faster because it doesn't have accurate speed data for that route because you keep going your own way, or 2) the street types and route distance are such that those streets/route option gets pruned from the results set.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AndyPoms » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:48 am

txemt wrote:After about 15 tries, Waze "learned" that I can use the back gate (and routinely directs me that way) of my apartment complex. Although my apartment complex has now closed and lock the gate, Waze does route me that way. It choses a private road and street as opposed to the primary street at the front of my complex. So....I don't know.

If the gate is closed 24/7 you can just remove that part of the road from the map...
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby edEskankus » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:31 pm

Back on topic. I'm confused. Waze does or doesn't learn preferred routes? I'm finding it does not. I get options to work, but none of my "shortcuts" are ever incorporated even thought they shave time and distance off of travel time and I use them virtually every commute.

dbates • 6.0(10A403) • IP4
edEskankus

Postby edEskankus » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:42 pm

Yes I did read this and many threads on the subject hence my confusion on the "feature" where the client learns my preferred route. No sooner does someone claim that Waze does not learn routes (see post number 2) then you get 10 "are you sure" posts offering alternate explanations. I drive 8 miles to a local rink a few times a week here in the Massachusetts countryside. I'm never offered my direct route, and I've tried the inferior Waze directions a few times. I've checked the streets in the map editor and they all have the correct turn options and appear to all be minor streets. I'll report back when I get to the magic number of 15 trips.

dbates • 6.0(10A403) • IP4
edEskankus

Postby hegedusa » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:12 am

Are you sure waze doesn't learn routes? Or at least reduce the "cost" to locations on your way to your destination? This isn't the experience I have. I'll explain:

I regularly drive to one place at different times of day (I called it "work") using my own preferred route. This is west of where I live. Waze seems to have now "learnt" that I prefer that route, and sometimes the alternatives seem quicker. The route uses a major trunk road - the A12.

However, recently, I asked to route to somewhere else, in the other direction, about 50 miles away to the east. Waze took me on part of my regular route to work, via the A12 west of where I live, rather than a junction with the A12 east of where I live actually on the way. This route was a few miles and 10 minutes longer than a better route.

Waze knew about this route because when I asked for other routes, it only listed one, and that that was what I would regard as the proper route.

So in a nutshell, waze shows me an inefficient route that uses part of my way to work, and when I ask to show me routes, it shows me just one route, a sensible one.

So it appears to be behaving as if it attributes a low cost to locations along regular routes, in preference to what it knows to be a correct route. It added only a small percentage to the time and distance travelled. When I tried routing to other locations along the way to the second route, it stopped using the "silly" route when the destination was nearer home.
--
Anthony Hegedus
Running Ubuntu 12.04 / Windows 7 / iPhone 4s
Wazeing about 250 miles a week!

Area Manager for South Essex (UK)
hegedusa

Learning my routes

Postby hegedusa » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:38 am

I've noticed, having made almost 5000 corrections. Roads with turns blocked, roundabouts randomly placed 500 yards from the junction, roads not named and littered with one way roads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
--
Anthony Hegedus
Running Ubuntu 12.04 / Windows 7 / iPhone 4s
Wazeing about 250 miles a week!

Area Manager for South Essex (UK)
hegedusa

Learning my routes

Postby julienmason » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:16 pm

I cannot seem to "train" WAZE to remember my preferred route to work. Though my preferred route is available to me as an alternate, I always see the WAZE default which I do not take.

How do I teach WAZE to use my preferred route rather than the default?
julienmason

Postby julienmason » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:18 am

Thanks. I appreciate it.
julienmason

Next

Return to Navigation & Routing