App routes to wrong spot. Live map is OK

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

App routes to wrong spot. Live map is OK

Postby Traveling_Gav » Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:57 am

Hi navigation gurus!

I am dealing with this UR: https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=5&lat ... 01&env=row

The user provided a screenshot of where the app wants to route if he searched for 54 Finucane Rd. You can see that it stops on that little segment of Elmshurst St. http://imgur.com/a/IU4FW

I have done some testing and the same thing happens if you go to number 56 or 58 but 60 and above are OK. I also tried 46 which is before Elmshurst but it routes around to the service road on the south side of the road.

The most perplexing thing is that the live map works OK for all addresses. The Google map pins all appear OK.

So any ideas. Seems like an app bug to me?
Gav...

Edit: Here is the live map link. The destination I typed in as 54 Fincuane Rd and selected the first option. https://www.waze.com/livemap?lon=153.20 ... t_text=Now
[ img ][ img ]
AM: QLD and Central NSW
Traveling_Gav
State Manager
State Manager

Re: App routes to wrong spot. Live map is OK

Postby karlcr9911 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:07 pm

Any reason you don't have any house numbers added here in WME? Livemap uses Google Maps for any results and doesn't replicate any routing that may be given in the Waze app.

When I search WME for this address, it puts the marker at Tremont St & Finucane Rd. I would definitely add house numbers to the appropriate street segments or RPPs and then try the search again.
Regional Coordinator - U.S. South Central
iOS Beta Leader / Tester | WME Beta Tester
[ img ][ img ] [ img ] [ img ] [ img ] [ img ]
SCR Wazeopedia
karlcr9911
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby Traveling_Gav » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:39 am

We have been discussing house numbers recently in the Australian forums. Generally we have not been able to see any use for them. If the Google maps pin is accurate then the app seems to just use that.

In relation to your search the returned location in the WME is NOT #56 (or any other number you put it) you are just getting the centre of Finucane Rd (roughly).

So I will try adding the house number but I am not hopeful. I know the wiki suggests you should add the house numbers for all segments but as I said in Australia hardly any segments have house numbers but the app generally works fine with the Google map pin data. If the Google maps pin is in the wrong spot we just them to move it and all is well?

What is your experience?
Gav...
[ img ][ img ]
Traveling_Gav
State Manager
State Manager

Postby Traveling_Gav » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:45 am

Any other ideas from the nav gurus?
[ img ][ img ]
Traveling_Gav
State Manager
State Manager

Postby karlcr9911 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:38 pm

Waze is its own app and platform and should be utilized as such in my opinion. It's great that Waze has the robust search engine as Google to fall back on but I see zero reasons to allow that instead of editing the map properly within your area.
Waze is now taking Waze house numbers as primary no matter what Google may say...which is how it should be. Relying on Google and making edits there to fix issues in Waze doesn't seem like the most prudent approach in my opinion. Google Maps is crowd-sourced editing as well and anyone can move anything. If you know it's correct in Waze, it won't matter what Google Maps has.
SCR Wazeopedia
karlcr9911
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby lazarocamargo » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:57 am

I believe I found the problem. Both ways have the same house numbers and I think Waze routes you to between them.
Can anyone change the level of these streets so I can modify the house numbers?
Thanks.
lazarocamargo

Postby karlcr9911 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:51 pm

You'll need to post a request in your local country forum.
SCR Wazeopedia
karlcr9911
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby Traveling_Gav » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:27 am

Is there any official confirmation that Waze house numbers will now be used as primary sources for the destination if they exist for the address?

In any case I just tried this route again on my iPad and I can see the chequered balloon showing the destination but the Waze route stops at that intersection. Bug?
[ img ][ img ]
Traveling_Gav
State Manager
State Manager

Postby ehepner1977 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:42 am

Traveling_Gav wrote:Is there any official confirmation that Waze house numbers will now be used as primary sources for the destination if they exist for the address?

In any case I just tried this route again on my iPad and I can see the chequered balloon showing the destination but the Waze route stops at that intersection. Bug?
Confirmation aside from the global champ who said so in the thread? Probably as good as you are going to get.

As for the routing, have you deleted the old searches from Waze? The app stores old searches as lat/lon, so the only way to test is to delete the cached data and start fresh.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
SM: Missouri
ARC: PLN
LC: USA
[ img ][ img ] [ img ][ img ][ img ]
ehepner1977
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby Traveling_Gav » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:34 am

OK I tried deleting the destination but this is what it looks like in the app. You can see the balloon is in the correct spot but the route turns and terminates at the intersection. This is the same as before.

https://imgur.com/a/UTENq
[ img ][ img ]
Traveling_Gav
State Manager
State Manager

Next

Return to Navigation & Routing