No new instruction after ignoring given instruction

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

No new instruction after ignoring given instruction

Postby Ankh-Morpork » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:04 am

I have an issue where waze doesn't give a new instruction after I ignore an instruction.

If I start my commute home, waze wants me to take a route that includes a 20-30 minute traffic jam. When I ignore the exit waze wants me to take (as to avoid this jam), and drive 3 miles further down and then back up the back roads, I'm home before any route suggested.

Things is; at the point where I ignore waze and continue on, waze does not give an instruction on what to do next; e.g: "In 3 miles, exit." It also doesn't say it a bit further down, e.g: "In half a mile, exit." It only says it when the exit is already upon me: "Exit to the left."

Now, I know where I'm going, so for me it's not an issue per se. But for someone who accidentally missed an exit and doesn't know the route, this sudden "Exit to the left" command might be unexpected, they might be in the wrong lane and not able to move over.

So far, this only happens with this particular exit that I ignore. It's not uncommon for me to ignore waze because it sometimes makes a stupid decision, and every time I force a reroute, Kate very kindly tells me what to do next. Except for this exit. Maybe the length of her instruction at this exit has something to do with it, she holds a bit of a monologue: "Exit to the left. Then at the roundabout take the first exit. Then at the roundabout, take the third exit onto so-and-so."

Still, that doesn't explain why she says nothing up until "Exit to the left"... When I ignore her, I immediately hear the rerouting *ping*, so it's not like waze is thinking up new routes for the whole 3 miles, either. It's almost as if Kate is sulking over me ignoring her. -_-

Latest Waze, iPhone, latest iOS.
They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance. - Terry Pratchett, Equal Rites.
[ img ]
Ankh-Morpork
Map Raider
Map Raider

Location: Marmite Central, also known as Burton on Trent, UK.

Re: No new instruction after ignoring given instruction

Postby bobc455 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:00 pm

Is the suggested route parallel to the route you wind up taking? In other words, could Waze think you are still taking the suggested route?

-Bob C.
bobc455
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby Ankh-Morpork » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:36 pm

Hi Bob,

No, the original route would take me off a major road via a ramp and makes a wide 180 degree turn away from the major road. When I ignore waze, I continue straight on said major road.
I've attached a screenie of what waze suggests, and the red arrow indicates the route I continue to take. Excuse my terrible Paint skills... :roll:

a38.PNG
(58.35 KiB) Downloaded 115 times
They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance. - Terry Pratchett, Equal Rites.
[ img ]
Ankh-Morpork
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby bobc455 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:20 pm

Interesting. Obviously the default behaviour is for Waze to recalculate as soon as it recognizes you aren't on the route it wants you to be on (unless it thinks you've reached your destination). The only thing I can suggest is a reinstall, but then again maybe Kate is really just throwing a passive-aggressive temper tantrum...

-BC
bobc455
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby Ankh-Morpork » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:15 pm

Thing is, it does recalculate. I hear the little "pingaling" sound to indicate recalculating. It's just that waze then keeps quiet and doesn't give an update on what to do next until the exit has arrived.

Even if the long instruction for the two roundabouts push the first rerouting instruction off, waze should still tell me what to do a mile or half a mile before the exit.

Oh well, I'll leave it at a temper tantrum :)
[ img ]
Ankh-Morpork
Map Raider
Map Raider

Return to Navigation & Routing