Waze rerouting mid-journey

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Waze rerouting mid-journey

Postby atrophicshiner » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:10 pm

Hi everyone, picked up a UR recently that suggests that Waze has repeatedly changed the suggested destination, and therefore routing, mid-journey to the Home location. User appears to be using iOS and their explanation is below.

Pete wrote:Hello just to let you know waze in general is good. However it has a fault in that it often changes the desired destination by defaulting to my home address mid journey. Sorry to moan but this is really really annoying. It only becomes apparent that it's done this when I realise it's directing me home and this problem has wasted a significant amount of time. Many thanks Pete.

Pete wrote:This happens after a specific destination is inputted into waze and the 'go now' button is pressed. So after setting off on a journey to a specific destination it then changes this without notification to 'home'. It only becomes apparent after driving a portion of the journey and realising it's not going in the correct direction.

I have previously asked in the UK forum, and we've only experienced Waze to begin routing to a frequent / regular destination while searching for a different location and interrupting / overriding the search. We have never known Waze to either change destination mid-journey while free navigating or while following another route.
- Chris - (Catching up with the Ia[i]ns one Chris at a time)

[ img ]
UK Local Champ would you believe
AM the Middle bit of England
Usability | Simplicity | Retention
atrophicshiner
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Re: Waze rerouting mid-journey

Postby vince1612 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:38 pm

Is he using "Add a stop" where home would be his final destination after going somewhere else?

Does he use the feature that lets Waze auto-suggests destinations on startup?
[ img ]
Wiki & Forum: Wiki CH (D) (FR) | Forum CH (D) (FR) (I)
1+1=3 - The result of bringing talents together goes beyond simply adding them up.
vince1612
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby atrophicshiner » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:34 pm

Having offered direct email contact the response I got is as follows.

this problem isn’t linked to add a stop as its just the destination that is inputed, also I do have the auto suggest feature on. It often asks if home is the desired destination. But the problem i’m encountering isn’t selecting my home address when prompted, its presenting itself after the desired destination has been inputed as a single point of destination with no stops. Then after commencing the journey the app then switches to my home address with no warning.

It only becomes apparent that its sending me somewhere other than the inputed destination, when I realise I’m en route to my own house.

I have provided a link to this thread should they wish to view / contribute.

[ img ]
atrophicshiner
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby vince1612 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:44 pm

The destination auto-suggestion has a timer that lets you either confirm or cancel. I've had an experience where I ignored the prompt and started navigation to a favorite location. Routing started but as soon as the auto-suggestion prompt's timer reached zero, because it had not been cancelled or dismissed by me, it did an override of the current navigation I had started and changed it to home, I might not have realized it until mid-journey if the starting route had not immediately been going in the wrong direction which made me re-check and realize what had happened.

In the 5 years I've been using the app and in all my time reading pretty much everything on these forums, I've never heard of the app changing the destination mid-journey. If that is really what is happening and not simply what I described above, then we cannot really help, only staff can analyze debug logs and maybe figure it out.
They will need the person to reproduce the bug, take note of the exact date and time when it happened and submit debug logs after it, the steps can be found here:
https://support.google.com/waze/answer/6270063?hl=en
[ img ]
Wiki & Forum: Wiki CH (D) (FR) | Forum CH (D) (FR) (I)
1+1=3 - The result of bringing talents together goes beyond simply adding them up.
vince1612
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby atrophicshiner » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:06 pm

Cheers Vince, I was assuming that any investigation would require debug logs.

I'll pass this along to the user.

[ img ]
atrophicshiner
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby Twister-UK » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:20 pm

Today I encountered almost this problem for myself. Driving from home to the town centre (about a 10 minute drive) I had Waze (latest public Android release) running but not navigating. Halfway into the drive, so well after the point at which any initial auto-suggestion timeout ought to have kicked in, Waze suddenly suggested a route back home...

Although this was the only unusual thing I noticed during the drive, on checking the drives history in WME just now, I see that this drive has been logged as two seperate partial drives with a small gap in the middle - the point in the journey where Waze suggested the route home seems to then correspond pretty neatly to the start of the second partial drive log.

Note that the app itself was started up as normal before I set off from home, and it didn't restart during the drive - I'm therefore assuming that the break in the drive log was due to a loss of connectivity, and it was then the reconnection which triggered the app into seeing this as the start of a new drive attempt rather than simply the continuation of the drive already in progress.

Whether this would have happened if I'd been following a route already is another matter, but in all the years I've been using Waze and have seen similar broken drive logs caused by connectivity issues, this is the first time I've ever seen the app treat the connectivity loss/restoration as if it were the start of a new drive, so it appears that *something* in the app has changed with regards to how it handles connectivity problems - it's therefore not much of a stretch of the imagination to assume this change may then also be triggered when a user is already following a route and a connectivity problem occurs.
Chris (not to be confused with Chris or Chris...)
AM SE England & Shetland Islands, UK Local Champ, WME Beta Tester & ScriptMangler
WME/Livemap enhancement scripts @ GreasyFork and Chrome Web Store

[ img ][ img ][ img ]
Twister-UK
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby ranttine » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:28 pm

Feels like a symptom of a fix to the connection problem. AFAIK the reason for connection problem lies behind the way waze talks with the server. When connecting after starting up a connection ID is assigned, which is used to say hello to the server and the ID is used to keep one drive as a single drive history file.

If a network connection drops and enough time goes by without waze being able to re-establish the connection, server does assume that the drive is over and refuses further communication with the same ID. Because of that you have 'network errors' even with a working internet connection: server does reject the client.

Now.. if they have done a fix so that when above scenario happens - waze does initiate completely new connection with new ID and etc - that does cause a new drive log for the same drive.
This might be the reason for the destination change - either waze or server handles the connection as it is fresh restart so if 'allow auto suggestions' is enabled - it kicks in.

DISCLAIMER: I don't KNOW anything of this.. just trying to guess what might have happened.
[ img ][ img ][ img ]
Country Manager: Finland
Waze App and Routing Beta
ranttine
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Return to Navigation & Routing