When (how soon) does Waze reroute for construction / traffic

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

When (how soon) does Waze reroute for construction / traffic

Postby davidinohio » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:41 pm

We know of a bad construction area about 6 hours away. We keep hearing of 3 hour delays. On a travel forum, someone said Waze helped pick an alternate route. However, every time I bring up our trip in Waze, it always routes through the construction instead of around it.

So, I'm wondering - does Waze wait until you're XX miles or XX minutes away from a point with heavy traffic / construction delays to choose an alternate route? Does anyone know the exact time or distance of when this happens? I don't want to drive past the point of no return and then get stuck in a big traffic jam.

Thanks!
davidinohio

Re: When (how soon) does Waze reroute for construction / tra

Postby ranttine » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:34 pm

AFAIK it used to be so that router looks at real time traffic information max one hour travel away from the point where you are. That was the situation in 2016. Might be still so.
[ img ][ img ][ img ]
Country Manager: Finland
Waze App and Routing Beta
ranttine
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Re: When (how soon) does Waze reroute for construction / tra

Postby jm6087 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:21 pm

For long routes like that, Waze only looks at Freeways and Major Highways (except at beginning and end of route). Waze is regularly (I believe every few minutes) checking real time speeds for updates but most likely won't reroute until much closer to the delays just in case things change.
jm6087
Country Manager
Country Manager

Return to Navigation & Routing