same 31 mile commute for 10 years...waze never uses my route

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

same 31 mile commute for 10 years...waze never uses my route

Postby usa_lrspq831 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:43 pm

I have had the same commute for about 10 years. i have tried every way you can possibly pick to go home, and settled on the best route.

I started using waze about 3 months ago, and the app always routes me through the heart of traffic rather then taking the route it should take. I am not sure if waze is preferring highways vs secondary roads (which my route requires).

When I ignore the waze advice and go my own way, only after I am 10 miles into going the other way will it finally concede and finish the route I have chosen.

Is there a way to train waze to look for a certain route first?
usa_lrspq831

Re: same 31 mile commute for 10 years...waze never uses my r

Postby jm6087 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:27 pm

usa_lrspq831 wrote:Is there a way to train waze to look for a certain route first?

No, there is no way to "train" Waze.

Waze is designed to use current and historical traffic data to determine fastest route.
jm6087
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby mysticcobra » Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:41 am

John,
Did this change at some point? I feel like I had this discussion several years back and the answer was the opposite. I've been using waze for 6 years so I don't know exactly when.
In fact, I've experienced waze learn my route (which includes a toll) and eventually take my route, which is faster than the 3 it suggests. It seems to take about 5-10 trips before it will suggest my preferred route. Also, it seems like it will reset and lose my preferred route a few times per year and have to relearn, which it always does.
Jimmy
Samsung Galaxy S6-Android 7.0, Waze 4.50.1.1
Northern VA
mysticcobra

Postby jm6087 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:23 pm

mysticcobra wrote:John,
Did this change at some point? I feel like I had this discussion several years back and the answer was the opposite. I've been using waze for 6 years so I don't know exactly when.
In fact, I've experienced waze learn my route (which includes a toll) and eventually take my route, which is faster than the 3 it suggests. It seems to take about 5-10 trips before it will suggest my preferred route. Also, it seems like it will reset and lose my preferred route a few times per year and have to relearn, which it always does.

I don't think that the "learning your preferred route" ever worked. There used to be an option in the app for "fastest" and "most direct" (something like that) but that the "most direct" option never actually worked and they removed several years ago because the idea behind the app is to get you to your destination (for the most part) using the route that will save you the most time.

I think the "learning your route" was probably more of people using the app and it taking the new speed data that you and others are providing to determine that a certain route may be quicker.
jm6087
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby turbomkt » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:22 pm

I think the learning your route was more along the lines of when you tend to go certain places (For me it's work in the morning the Y and dojo afternoons).

In this case I'd wonder if there is an issue with road types. Maybe the preferred route is PS and everything else is mH+.

To the OP, can you give a general/approximate start and end to the route?
turbomkt
State Manager
State Manager

Postby NoT_A_CoP_i_SwEaR_ » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:59 pm

Google (which is what waze US based on) got into some serious trouble and endured some bad publicly over routing drivers through locations they shouldn't be using as primary routes. They were directing drivers onto side streets, creating traffic jams, and endangering local residents.

Google decided to quietly remove these roads and directs most traffic onto primary use highways and state routes and only uses residential roads as a last resort. Map editors, like myself, will even go in and identify and categorize certain roads to remove them from navigation, otherwise "AI learning" would send others cutting down a one lane alley to avoid a red light when a few idiots using waze use that route.

Local residents don't want rush hour traffic through their residential neighborhoods, people shouldn't be trying to save 5 minutes of driving time and risking hitting pedestrians and children. Use the primary highways, it's safer for everyone.
NoT_A_CoP_i_SwEaR_

Postby turbomkt » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:39 pm

I'm not sure what you mean by "which is what waze US bsaed on". Waze is owned by Alphabet but operates separately, maintaining its own maps and routing algorithms.

I'm also not sure what your comments have to do with the discussion at hand? Or are you saying the route they were taking has been "removed"?
turbomkt
State Manager
State Manager

Postby russblau » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:57 pm

In fact, the Waze map was already well-established before Google’s holding company bought Waze

And the vast majority of Waze map editors agree that it is up to state and local transportation departments, not us, to decide which if any roads are not suitable for through traffic.
[ img ] [ img ] [ img ] [ img ]
MAR MSM; State Manager: District of Columbia
AM Sussex County, DE/Westchester & Rockland Counties, NY
russblau
State Manager
State Manager

Postby jm6087 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:23 pm

NoT_A_CoP_i_SwEaR_ wrote:Google (which is what waze US based on) got into some serious trouble and endured some bad publicly over routing drivers through locations they shouldn't be using as primary routes. They were directing drivers onto side streets, creating traffic jams, and endangering local residents.

Google decided to quietly remove these roads and directs most traffic onto primary use highways and state routes and only uses residential roads as a last resort. Map editors, like myself, will even go in and identify and categorize certain roads to remove them from navigation, otherwise "AI learning" would send others cutting down a one lane alley to avoid a red light when a few idiots using waze use that route.

Local residents don't want rush hour traffic through their residential neighborhoods, people shouldn't be trying to save 5 minutes of driving time and risking hitting pedestrians and children. Use the primary highways, it's safer for everyone.

Not a single thing you said is accurate. Including "Map editors, like myself"
According to your forum profile, you just joined the forum today and have not made a single edit in the US under this username according to your editor profile.

Compare that to turbomkt with 361,000+ , russblau with over 900,00 and myself with over 500,000 map edits. As russblau states,
And the vast majority of Waze map editors agree that it is up to state and local transportation departments, not us, to decide which if any roads are not suitable for through traffic.

We don't "remove" roads from the map and don't really have any control to "remove them from navigation"

There has been press, but Google, Waze, nor any GPS app/device has gotten into "serious trouble" for routing drivers through locations. It is always the drivers responsibility to obey traffic laws and signs, not the responsibility of ANY GPS DEVICE.
jm6087
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby turbomkt » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:08 pm

I think Not a Cop is a Google Maps editor. Or was?
turbomkt
State Manager
State Manager

Return to Navigation & Routing