App needs ability to display additional alternate routes

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

App needs ability to display additional alternate routes

Postby craven50h » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:52 am

Would it be possible to display maybe top 5 routes or at least a button to request alternate routes? I’m using iPhone version 4.5 of the app. I’m not restricting any routing options. My daily commute is around 41 miles. There are two main routes I can take one is a toll road and one is a free highway with toll express/hov lanes. 90% of the time it suggests the free route using the toll lanes. Clicking show routes will only show the free highway and taking toll express lanes of the same highway. I wish it would show the other purely toll route so I could compare and make the decision. I think most of the time the difference is only a couple of minutes. But the toll route is a nicer experience and provides more options for getting off of it when accidents happen. So if it’s only a couple of minutes longer I prefer the toll route. If it’s significantly different I prefer the free/express route. But I can’t find a way to see both routes to compare. Another solution might be a way to save favorite routes so you always at least get a comparison of those routes.
craven50h

Re: App needs ability to display additional alternate routes

Postby turbomkt » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:30 pm

Can you provide more details on where this happens to you? Maybe an approximate start and end point we can use to test routing and provide suggestions specific to you?
turbomkt
State Manager
State Manager

Postby craven50h » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:38 pm

Not sure if this will help but here it is in google maps and it shows both routes.
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/BioTE®+Medical,+1875+W.+Walnut+Hill+Lane,+%23100,+Irving,+TX+75038/Dalrock+Diner,+6201+Dalrock+Rd,+Rowlett,+TX+75088/@32.9174956,-97.0348688

It's roughly Rowlett, TX. to Irving TX.

The two routes are:

1. I30 to I635 to 190
2. Just taking 190(aka President George Bush Turnpike) all the way.

Waze almost always just displays #1 (as two seperate routes normal lanes or HOV/Express lanes). It won't show 190 unless 635 is absolutely horrible. If you notice on the google map the difference between the routes is only 3 miles or 4 minutes, this is pretty typical. The major difference is once you commit to taking 635 its hard to detour off of it, whereas 190 is much easier in this regard. So fastest route is rarely the best route. Much of this is local traffic issues, I'm just saying I wish Waze would give me more information so I can better make an educated decision. Rather than only really giving me one choice. Put another way I wish I could get the functionality google maps has for displaying/comparing routes along with the user reported data that waze offers.
Last edited by craven50h on Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
craven50h

Postby craven50h » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:57 pm

See attached screenshot of the routes page for reference.
Image-1.jpg
Routes_Screenshot
(108.81 KiB) Downloaded 102 times
craven50h

Postby turbomkt » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:19 pm

I've asked for someone who might be more familiar with the area to take a look at this.
turbomkt
State Manager
State Manager

Postby jm6087 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:27 pm

I have asked one of our state managers from the DFW area to see if he can give some insight to the routes offered.
jm6087
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby dfw_gis » Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:06 am

Hello neighbor! Your route makes up 80% of my route everyday (almost Royse City to DFW). I've had some mornings receiving routes similar to what you mentioned but it's not every morning. Are these two options (635 with Texpress and then 635) the only two you are recommended regularly? Have you ever recalculated the route shortly before getting to I-30 or PGBT ( I agree, way better route ) to see if it changes the offerings?
dfw_gis(5)
[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]

Multi-State-Manager-Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Texas, Oklahoma
Area Manager-Kenai Peninsula Alaska
dfw_gis
State Manager
State Manager

Postby craven50h » Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:48 am

I’ll try getting it to Recalculate next time but by that time back tracking to the other route is rather out of the way. It’s not every time but it’s most of the time. The return trip (Irving to Rowlett) is almost always just the 635 routes also.
craven50h

Postby dfw_gis » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:23 pm

Good stuff. I'll do the same this week and make note of when/where I getting certain results. With my information and yours I can run this issue up the ladder if need be. Stay on the line with us and let me/us know how your nav routes go this week so we can see if there is something else that needs to be looked at.
dfw_gis(5)

dfw_gis
State Manager
State Manager

Postby dfw_gis » Mon May 06, 2019 1:44 am

Hello again craven50h. I've done a few tests this week and will submit them up the chain to have them look into the scenario that isn't offering PGBT initially upon start-up. If you have any additional input that might be helpful certainly please feel free to share on this thread. Thanks again for your help!
dfw_gis(5)

dfw_gis
State Manager
State Manager

Next

Return to Navigation & Routing