HOV lane navigation

Moderator: Unholy

HOV lane navigation

Postby Galahad2 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:23 pm

There needs to be a setting that allows us to avoid HOV. Every time I drive to work, the system sends me down the HOV and then thinks I have taken that route, screwing up directions, estimated drive time and my own reporting for other drivers. If I could drive HOV every day, I wouldn't need Waze.
Galahad2

HOV lane navigation

Postby Bigbear3764 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:24 pm

Do you have a permalink to the problem area? Probably needs a turn restriction at start to avoid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Image Image
AM Chicagoland Area ILL Functional Class Map
CM North America
ILL Wiki
ILL To-Do
Bigbear3764
Country Manager
Country Manager

Re: HOV lane navigation

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:20 pm

That lane is improperly set up then. Yes, please post the location/highway name, city, state, etc, so an editor can look into it. All HOV lanes are supposed to be set to avoid routing as there is no way for Waze to know better at this time.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.3.1 | Waze v4.4.9904
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Galahad2 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:43 pm

The turn is near the intersection of Interstate 95 and Hwy 123 in Woodbridge, Virginia, USA.
http://goo.gl/maps/PaXcI
Galahad2

Postby CBenson » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:12 pm

I have changed the exit lane in question to a parking lot road. This should solve the problem.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.1.0.1
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby attheyard » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:43 pm

I understand the theory but if it is a parking lot road waze does not understand how to exit when you are in the HOV lane. You need to be able to get OFF the HOV as well as prevent getting on it. A turn restriction would better accomplish this goal.

Also with the parking lot road, how are you to know the HOV is an option if there is a serious accident on the main road? It's impossible. Anyone who lives in that area knows enough to avoid the HOV if it's closed-there's a gate in front of the lane, or if they can't use it-not enough people in the car. If you go another way, waze can handle the re-route. For these reasons I do not agree with making the ramp a parking lot road.
attheyard
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby CBenson » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:55 pm

attheyard wrote:I understand the theory but if it is a parking lot road waze does not understand how to exit when you are in the HOV lane. You need to be able to get OFF the HOV as well as prevent getting on it. A turn restriction would better accomplish this goal.

Hmm, yes that is an issue isn't it. The problem is that many exits are not reversible, so they are simply marked as ramps. This means that waze will not route you off of a reversible entrance/exit marked as a parking lot road. Mike1323 has changed the entire HOV lane to parking lot and has changed the ramp back to ramp type. Presumably in response to this thread. I believe that should work. This also answers the question as to why its better to make the entire road a Parking Lot road rather than just the ramps.

attheyard wrote:Also with the parking lot road, how are you to know the HOV is an option if there is a serious accident on the main road? It's impossible. Anyone who lives in that area knows enough to avoid the HOV if it's closed-there's a gate in front of the lane, or if they can't use it-not enough people in the car. If you go another way, waze can handle the re-route. For these reasons I do not agree with making the ramp a parking lot road.
I don't understand why this has any impact on the parking lot / turn restriction choice.
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby attheyard » Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:07 pm

Had a thought-the 95 HOT lanes project will change these lanes to toll/HOV lanes. They will still be reversible, but as I stated previously, I don't think this is a practical problem. If you can't get on the road, it's obvious. Waze can handle the re-route if you take regular 95 instead of 95 HOV. If the lanes were changed to toll roads now (which they will be in the future anyway) then the user could choose to turn those routes on or off based on toll road settings. In fact, this would be a good feature for HOV's in general-treat them like toll roads within waze. If waze had a separate setting like toll roads for HOV's, the user could turn them on or off as routing options.
attheyard
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby CBenson » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:06 pm

It seems to me that it will be appropriate to mark the HOT lanes as a toll road.
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby attheyard » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:05 am

So do you support changing them now or later?
attheyard
Area Manager
Area Manager

Next

Return to Navigation & Routing