HOV lane navigation

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: HOV lane navigation

Postby CBenson » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:05 pm

MysticCobra wrote:Waze should also notate (just like a toll road) with a little icon in the corner that this is an HOV road. Let the user use their brain (and read the signs) and decide which route they want. We know wazers are smarter than the average driver so this shouldn't be difficult, right? :)
Sure but there are two separate questions. 1) What should waze do to accommodate HOV lanes? 2) In the meantime, how should we map them with the tools that we currently have?
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Altantic, US
Verizon, Droid Razr Maxx HD, Android 4.1.2, Waze 3.7.9.909
CBenson
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby CBenson » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:12 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:I, as a non HOV driver, should not be navigated onto an HOV lane.

I think the question becomes, why not.
First, if you are routed on the HOV lanes, you need only to ask for alternative routes and pick one that does not use the HOV lanes. Thus waze remains useful for non HOV drivers if the HOV lanes are routable. However, if they are not routable, but typically the best choice for HOV drivers, then waze provides very little benefit to the HOV driver.
Second, you are already routed on HOV lanes as a non HOV driver in the DC area. This is because I-66 into/out of Washington, DC is time restricted HOV only for the rushes. The only way to keep you from being routed on the HOV restricted I-66 is to make I-66 entirely non-routable, which hasn't been adopted as the proper course of action.

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:This would typically be the majority of drivers, so currently, majority rules.
I wonder if this actually true for wazers in some areas. If we take a poll and find that a majority of wazers in an area use the HOV lanes, do we change the policy for that area?
CBenson
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby CBenson » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:01 pm

I agree that there's lots to weigh. That's why I think this discussion is useful. I'm not advocating making the VA I-95 HOV lanes routeable. Not only would this cause non-HOV drivers to be routed on the HOV lanes, but they are reversible so drivers going the against the rush may also be routed on the HOV lanes that are closed in that direction. As MysticCobra argues the barricades are quite clear, so no one is at all likely to actually take the lanes the wrong way. However, I'm not convinced that making the lanes routable is the best solution at this point. But it does seem worth discussing.
CBenson
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby CBenson » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:08 am

The appearance of the live map is notoriously unreliable. The updates are unpredictable and vary from zoom level to zoom level.
CBenson
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby CBenson » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:20 pm

Galahad2 wrote:I disagree entirely using Waze on HOT/HOV lanes. The people that can afford the special vehicles/charges or are going to routes where carpools are available don't need Waze to tell them how to get past the traffic--they're zipping by it already.

There are certainly times when the HOV lanes back up. So waze is can certainly help even if you are HOT/HOV compliant.
Galahad2 wrote:Those of us who are toiling in the main lanes need to be routed around traffic blockages, but are being directed to the Interstate exclusively by Waze thinking we will be going HOV, when in reality from my house a better route might be found if HOV consideration is excluded. Once we're at I-95 already, yeah the best way is probably going to be through the bottleneck--but I've driven 5 miles already just to get to that point only to be told to drive down the HOV. If Waze can't comprehend HOV schedules/qualifications, HOV should be excluded. If you're on the HOV and see an open ramp (unidirectional ramps are blocked by gates when the traffic schedule obviates it), there's no reason you can't drive down it without being directed to by Waze.
Correct, if waze can't comprehend HOV schedules/qualification, then HOV should be excluded. However, we are close to the point where waze can comprehend the HOV schedules. Then we will have to see when waze will be able to comprehend HOV qualification.
CBenson
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby crunchyfroggirl » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:38 pm

Ah! So that would be why when heading south, Waze will direct me off the HOV at the exit before or the exit after, but will never direct me to take that one, even though it's obv. the quickest.
crunchyfroggirl

HOV lane navigation

Postby Galahad2 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:23 pm

There needs to be a setting that allows us to avoid HOV. Every time I drive to work, the system sends me down the HOV and then thinks I have taken that route, screwing up directions, estimated drive time and my own reporting for other drivers. If I could drive HOV every day, I wouldn't need Waze.
Galahad2

Postby Galahad2 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:43 pm

The turn is near the intersection of Interstate 95 and Hwy 123 in Woodbridge, Virginia, USA.
http://goo.gl/maps/PaXcI
Galahad2

Postby Galahad2 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:10 pm

I disagree entirely using Waze on HOT/HOV lanes. The people that can afford the special vehicles/charges or are going to routes where carpools are available don't need Waze to tell them how to get past the traffic--they're zipping by it already. Those of us who are toiling in the main lanes need to be routed around traffic blockages, but are being directed to the Interstate exclusively by Waze thinking we will be going HOV, when in reality from my house a better route might be found if HOV consideration is excluded. Once we're at I-95 already, yeah the best way is probably going to be through the bottleneck--but I've driven 5 miles already just to get to that point only to be told to drive down the HOV. If Waze can't comprehend HOV schedules/qualifications, HOV should be excluded. If you're on the HOV and see an open ramp (unidirectional ramps are blocked by gates when the traffic schedule obviates it), there's no reason you can't drive down it without being directed to by Waze.
Galahad2

Postby istpsu2009 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:23 pm

source: http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Carp ... nsit_lanes

Carpool, HOV, Transit lanes
Carpool lanes, High-occupancy Vehicle (HOV) lanes, and Transit lanes are road lanes reserved for cars carrying more than the driver. The number of required passengers in the vehicle can vary depending on the specific road.
Although currently Waze does not support the requirements of routing over these types of lanes, there are plans to add support for them in the future.
As an interim measure, these lanes should be added to the map as separate roads, with the road type as Parking Lot Roads. This means that if you are not currently in one of these lanes the routing will avoid it, but if you choose to get into the lane, the routing will work correctly.
Supporting these lanes is a priority for Waze, and they are aware of the problems caused by such lanes.
A complete solution needs to consider the following factors:
    The driver would need to tell the Waze client app how many passengers are present in the car for that trip. Waze would only offer routes over carpool lanes when there are sufficient passengers to be eligible
    A new road type of "carpool lane" would be added with an entry for how many passengers are required to use it
    The ability to change the direction of the car pool lane automatically based on time of day and day of week. This is also necessary for other roads
    The ability to set the minimum passenger count to zero (meaning the road is open to all drivers) based on time of day and day of week
    As car pool lanes are often adjacent to normal roads, GPS tracking is not sufficient to differentiate the two. For accurate road speeds Waze needs to assume you are using the car pool lane when you have passengers (and/or based on your speed)
    HOV lanes are being merged with Toll lanes (HOT lanes) and the user needs to be able to select if they want to allow toll roads. The map needs the ability to track multiple lane restrictions (HOV and/or Toll) for the same road rather than defining the road as either an HOV or a Toll lane.
source: http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Carp ... nsit_lanes
istpsu2009

PreviousNext

Return to Navigation & Routing