Can't seem to do long distance navigation

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Can't seem to do long distance navigation

Postby harling » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:36 pm

xtago wrote:Its probably more a case of not having maps or links over long trips
What are you talking about, "not having maps or links"?! The Waze map database spans the continent.

We have been told directly by Waze that the reason distances are limited is to reduce the load on the routing server, as explained above. IIRC the limit used to be 200 miles, and evidently they have expanded their capacity since then to allow routes up to ~1000 miles.
Area Manager, Eastern MA & Southern NH. Country Manager, USA.
Help wanted. Drop me a line!
Wiki Resources: Area Manager Wiki | Map Editing | Best Practices | Known Issues List
harling
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby harling » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:25 pm

xtago wrote:You have base map, its basic, the road might come up but that doesn't mean all state roads ate linked up out there.

I'd be willing to bet the Interstate system has been fully "Wazed" (no segments still basemapped), along with the highways within probably 30-50 miles of any major city. Do you have an example to the contrary, that would prevent cross-U.S. routing if not for the 1K mile limit?
Area Manager, Eastern MA & Southern NH. Country Manager, USA.
Help wanted. Drop me a line!
Wiki Resources: Area Manager Wiki | Map Editing | Best Practices | Known Issues List
harling
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby invented » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:17 pm

Why does it matter how far you want to drive with it?
HTC one, GPE, Android 4.4
invented
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby invented » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:28 am

WeeeZer14 wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
invented wrote:Why does it matter how far you want to drive with it?

Impact to routing server infrastructure performance (long routes have exponentially-increasing branches/options), changes required to routing algorithms may be necessary, etc.

Plus from the search side, when someone performs a search chances are very good that they are most interesting in finding things close to them and not across the country. Just because I search for "New York Pizza" doesn't mean I want pizza in the state of NY ;)

Right, there are ways to mitigate that. I think with proper coding, you should be able to navigate wherever you want to.
invented
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby invented » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:34 pm

WeeeZer14 wrote:
invented wrote:Right, there are ways to mitigate that. I think with proper coding, you should be able to navigate wherever you want to.

Yes. And they probably can do that now. But as harling mentioned, Waze doesn't WANT to do that to conserve resources on their servers. Even with the most efficient coding in the world it will still take more resources to calculate longer routes. They have picked their focus and it is their right to stick to it.

It doesn't matter what Waze *wants* to do, it matters what they *have* to do to remain competitive. You can set routes pretty much as long as you want in Garmin, TomTom, Apple Maps, Google Navigation. This complacency is what drives companies under.
invented
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby OldGnome » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:20 pm

I use pretty much the same approach as Alan. I plan my route with daily stops where they make sense and then use Waze on each segment to guide me to the next stop.
OldGnome

Can't seem to do long distance navigation

Postby Thanos6 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:04 am

OK, I live in South Carolina, but I have friends all across the country. I've been considering a road trip out to the west coast to see some of them, but I've had problems getting their locations to pull up in the Waze client (the map editor is fine).

One of them lives in Reno, Nevada. When I search for his street, I get similarly named streets in Georgia, Tennessee, Vermont, and North Carolina, but not Nevada. When I search simply for Reno, Nevada, I get roads in SC that are named Reno Ct or Reno Rd, but not the actual city in Nevada.

Another friend lives in Davis, California. The results are similar; I get similarly named roads or towns in South Carolina, Georgia, or Mississippi, but not California.

Both of the streets exist in the map editor, I just can't get them to pull up in the client. Help?
Thanos6

Postby Thanos6 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:14 am

Really?

Bleh. In that case, I've found my first real gripe with this thing.

(Also, apologies in case this should have gone in Search instead)
Thanos6

Postby Thanos6 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:58 am

bigbear3764 wrote:Can your car go 1000 miles on a tank of fuel? Are you making the trip in one day?

No, but I would like an idea of how long and far the trip will be, so I can plan things out better. I'll have to use some other app or program for that instead.
Thanos6

Postby Thanos6 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:40 am

WeeeZer14 wrote:They have picked their focus and it is their right to stick to it.

And it's my right to be disappointed in that.
Thanos6

PreviousNext

Return to Navigation & Routing