Can't seem to do long distance navigation

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Can't seem to do long distance navigation

Postby umopapisdn » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:16 am

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:I set the route in Waze anyway. It's pretty hard to drive 700-1000 miles in a day for most people. 1000 miles @70mph is 14hrs without stopping. You're almost always going to have a start and end point for the entire day of driving within 700 miles, within which Waze is fully capable of routing.

i dunno... about 5 years ago a buddy and i drove from indianapolis to seattle without stopping for anything other than fuel. we knew the basic route before we left, but we didn't know where the fuel stops would be. switched drivers every time we filled up, and we made it in 40 hours.

it's not likely that many people would do it that way, but it's not impossible. :)
--
umopapisdn
armchair cartographer
Bloomington, Indiana, USA
AM for most of Southern Indiana, and a few other random locales.
umopapisdn

Postby WeeeZer14 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:19 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
invented wrote:Why does it matter how far you want to drive with it?

Impact to routing server infrastructure performance (long routes have exponentially-increasing branches/options), changes required to routing algorithms may be necessary, etc.

Plus from the search side, when someone performs a search chances are very good that they are most interesting in finding things close to them and not across the country. Just because I search for "New York Pizza" doesn't mean I want pizza in the state of NY ;)
iPhone 5s (AT&T) • iOS 7.0.3 • Waze 3.7.6.0
✰ Mega Driver ✰ Mega Mapper ✰ 1M Points ✰
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)
Navigation/Routing ExpertForum Moderator
WeeeZer14
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby WeeeZer14 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:48 am

invented wrote:Right, there are ways to mitigate that. I think with proper coding, you should be able to navigate wherever you want to.

Yes. And they probably can do that now. But as harling mentioned, Waze doesn't WANT to do that to conserve resources on their servers. Even with the most efficient coding in the world it will still take more resources to calculate longer routes. They have picked their focus and it is their right to stick to it.
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)
WeeeZer14
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby WeeeZer14 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:52 pm

invented wrote:
WeeeZer14 wrote:
invented wrote:Right, there are ways to mitigate that. I think with proper coding, you should be able to navigate wherever you want to.

Yes. And they probably can do that now. But as harling mentioned, Waze doesn't WANT to do that to conserve resources on their servers. Even with the most efficient coding in the world it will still take more resources to calculate longer routes. They have picked their focus and it is their right to stick to it.

It doesn't matter what Waze *wants* to do, it matters what they *have* to do to remain competitive. You can set routes pretty much as long as you want in Garmin, TomTom, Apple Maps, Google Navigation. This complacency is what drives companies under.

No, it is still what they want to do. They don't HAVE to remain competitive -- because they have every right to run out of money and go under. We all have expressed our concerns. We've made our suggestions. If they don't listen and fail, well it is all their fault. Will I be sad? Of course. But I know I have done everything I could to create a positive outcome. They aren't entitled to survive and I am not entitled to get what I want. (Crap. Does that mean I support a free market? ;) )
WeeeZer14
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby xtago » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:15 pm

Its probably more a case of not having maps or links over long trips

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2
xtago

Postby xtago » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:37 am

You have base map, its basic, the road might come up but that doesn't mean all state roads ate linked up out there.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2
xtago

Previous

Return to Navigation & Routing