Can't seem to do long distance navigation

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Can't seem to do long distance navigation

Postby Gamersea » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:56 pm

I would like longer distances, just cause it's easier (offcourse you could split the trip into serveral smaller "navigations"). I understand that it cost more server capacity etc, so I put up a suggestion which may meet in the middle for costumer and Waze.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=34208

Waze remains free for those who only need to use it for short drives, and those who want to do longer drives can do so with a small compensation to Waze.
Gamersea

Postby Borgholio » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:49 pm

Sorry for the mini-necro, but here's what I do. When Waze won't calculate a long route, I use Google Nav to plan the route and give me turn by turn, but I also launch Waze and keep it running in the background so I can record the drive and get points.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!

Area Manager - Southern California, Highway 395, Yosemite National Park, Mariposa County and surrounding area.

Image Image
Borgholio
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:24 pm

I set the route in Waze anyway. It's pretty hard to drive 700-1000 miles in a day for most people. 1000 miles @70mph is 14hrs without stopping. You're almost always going to have a start and end point for the entire day of driving within 700 miles, within which Waze is fully capable of routing.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.3.2 | Waze v4.7.0.1
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby OldGnome » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:20 pm

I use pretty much the same approach as Alan. I plan my route with daily stops where they make sense and then use Waze on each segment to guide me to the next stop.
OldGnome

Postby Gamersea » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:43 pm

Well, maybe the problem is not then how long the route is, but how much data the server can handle. Cause when we navigate from The Netherlands to somewhere close in France (lets say 800km away) Waze can't handle it, too much roads with too much junctions probaly. A navigation to Austria which is more then 900 km, and Waze has no problem with finding a route. Untill you search for alternative routes then the routing server crashes.

By the way, if we go on vacation we drive alot of those long rides. Most time with two drivers though, still doing the whole route in one day!
Gamersea

Postby umopapisdn » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:16 am

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:I set the route in Waze anyway. It's pretty hard to drive 700-1000 miles in a day for most people. 1000 miles @70mph is 14hrs without stopping. You're almost always going to have a start and end point for the entire day of driving within 700 miles, within which Waze is fully capable of routing.

i dunno... about 5 years ago a buddy and i drove from indianapolis to seattle without stopping for anything other than fuel. we knew the basic route before we left, but we didn't know where the fuel stops would be. switched drivers every time we filled up, and we made it in 40 hours.

it's not likely that many people would do it that way, but it's not impossible. :)
--
umopapisdn
armchair cartographer
Bloomington, Indiana, USA
Area Manager for most of Southern Indiana, and a few other random locales.
ImageImage
umopapisdn
Area Manager
Area Manager

Previous

Return to Navigation & Routing