Tunnel issues

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Tunnel issues

Postby CrackedLCD » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:14 am

My area only has a few short tunnels (<1 mile) but if the client knows when it's entering a tunnel, it could calculate average speed by comparing the entry and exit times by using the GPS signal.

Unfortunately our tunnels are too short to really affect routing, so I can't offer any more insight. If there's a wreck or stop in the tunnel, which is very common, people back up out of the tunnels in just a minute or two.
~CrackedLCD
AM for Baldwin-Mobile Cos., AL // Grenada-LeFlore-Carroll Cos., MS // Escambia-Santa Rosa Cos., FL // CM for the USA

HTC Droid DNA (Android 4.2.2) on Verizon Wireless
CrackedLCD

Tunnel issues

Postby fbarrosn » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:29 am

Hi all,

I think there is a large improvement to be done on how Waze treats tunnel routes against other traffic options. Apparently Waze defaults tunnel routes to a fixed speed (maybe because it can't detect the exact speed people are driving in long tunnels, as there is no GPS signal) and that often results in Waze suggesting me to take the tunnel route if the alternative route is slightly jammed (and the tunnel one is much worse). This is a major issue to me as I face the situation in my daily commutting.

It would involve a bit of calculation but would require Waze to track times when Wazers go in and out of a tunnel to calculate the average speed IN the tunnel, and use that information for predicting traffic times instead of some sort of default.
fbarrosn

Re: Tunnel issues

Postby kentsmith9 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:14 pm

True most tunnels don't have cell access and that is the bigger problem for Waze (not the lack of GPS) because the client cannot send the start and end times for the segment as you traverse it. If the client would cache the data and forward it later after the cellular link is re-established you could get more accurate data.

This is based on my assumptions for how Waze is collecting the segment speed and my assumptions could be flawed. I do not travel in tunnels every day, so have no direct knowledge of that process. ;)
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Return to Navigation & Routing