Missing segments

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Missing segments

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:08 pm

jhfrontz wrote:do I really need to reboot the phone or is it sufficient to just terminate the app (truly terminate it, via a double-home and then press-and-hold on the app's icon for an iPhone) then restart?

Also, what's the penalty for always running with debug mode turned on?

No, the device doesn't need to reboot, but it is adviseable to restart the app.

"Penalty" may be more timeouts for operations as Waze is sometimes busy writing to log files instead of paying attention to netcode. Some display movements may be more jerky.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby MisterMooCow » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:01 am

jasonh300 wrote:Jhfrontz, if that happens again, send your logs In along with a note to support. Be sure you're set to Debug mode.

It's been a while since I looked at how to do this-- the wiki page says to do the 2##2 search in navigation and then reboot the phone-- do I really need to reboot the phone or is it sufficient to just terminate the app (truly terminate it, via a double-home and then press-and-hold on the app's icon for an iPhone) then restart?

Also, what's the penalty for always running with debug mode turned on?
MisterMooCow

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:58 pm

You'll want to find the location on the edit map and provide the permalink via that support ticket, too.

We know that updating a segment within a tile forces the rebuild of the tile, but the freeway missing tiles/recalc issue we experienced in December, that had no effect and Waze had to fix something in the background.

There have been things in the past which did require updating a segment, such as getting shields to appear back in the early days when that process was actually running. When we found a segment which would show the name rather than the shield, we had to make a small change to geometry of the road so that Waze would rebuild the tile and assign the right shield.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby KB_Steveo » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:44 pm

:lol: I was just going to edit my post to say that Waze might have actually fixed the problem too - You guys beat me to it.
KB_Steveo
State Manager
State Manager

Postby MisterMooCow » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:11 am

jasonh300 wrote:
Are you saying you're still seeing a failure of segments to load?

Is that the "proceed to highlighted route" and/or spontaneous recalculation of a route while, say, having been continuously on-route and on a freeway for many minutes?

It just happened to me on Saturday night (on a rural freeway).
MisterMooCow

Postby KB_Steveo » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:22 am

I'm pretty sure I have it figured out.

After talking to bigbear3764, the theory is:

(1) Map tiles in the live map have corruption that causes them not to download to the current client version
(2) The current live map tile generation process only generates new tiles when changes have been made.
(3) If you edit the area where the problem is occurring, it will force a rebuild of the affected tiles and fix the problem.
  • edit the geometry of the affected road
  • If the area is locked above your level, (1)draw in a new road. (2) save. (3) delete the road. (4) save again (I waited for the live map to be updated before steps 3 and 4 - others I've talked to did all 4 steps at once)
So far this has worked in all the areas I have had this problem.
KB_Steveo
State Manager
State Manager

Postby KB_Steveo » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:46 am

I'm still having problems with this. Does anyone know what's going on? I have a couple of permalinks of areas that others have submitted UR's at with the same problem if that helps. https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=0&lat ... 4,37695771
https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=2&lat ... 3,62096354
https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=2&lat ... 0,61967791
KB_Steveo
State Manager
State Manager

Postby stevecody » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:17 pm

I did not experience this problem today. I will continue to monitor and see if it seems to be resolved.
stevecody
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby KB_Steveo » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:48 am

I did a wipe, I think (I deleted the waze folder off my phone) and installed 3.5.1.4 and still am having this problem.
It's better now with the update from 3.5, but I still have a problem with small squares that don't show up at the closer zoom levels.
KB_Steveo
State Manager
State Manager

Postby RallyChris » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:03 pm

I had this problem come and go, till I did a fresh install of the release version.

I don't know if the last beta left some junk behind or what, but a complete wipe and reinstall seems to have fixed it for me.
RallyChris

Next

Return to Navigation & Routing