Need code update for 'straight through' movements

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Need code update for 'straight through' movements

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:38 pm

Unless it is some kind of unclear intersection, I never want Waze to tell me to go straight.

Many situations can be "fixed" by adjusting the angle of the departing segment, such as could be done with your 2nd example to give a "keep right" instruction, but it doesn't seem that that would be any more clear than "keep straight." At some point, a driver has to be able to go straight without being told to by a nav system. People still need to actually think to drive, or they end up doing stupid things like driving into a lake because their GPS told them to. (True stories.)
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | Oregon Project/To-Do List
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone5 - VZ - iOS 7.0.6 | Waze v3.7.9.992
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AndyPoms » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:22 am

The only time I would like a continue straight instruction is when I'm going from a surface street to a ramp that is directly ahead of me - basically saying "hey get on the highway". This will also avoid the problem of "Turn Right onto Main St" and then having your next instruction be "Exit Right at Exit 12: State Route 900 / Anytown"
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AndyPoms » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:35 pm

Some pseudo code I think would be a good start for Waze:

Code: Select all
If CurrentSegment.RoadType != Ramp AND NextSegment.RoadType = Ramp THEN Force Announce

And use the following angle designations for turns (same applies to the negative turn as well)
0-10 deg = Continue
10-45 deg = Keep/Exit
45-135 = Turn
135-180 = Turn Sharply
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby CBenson » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:13 pm

I think there are occasionally times when a continue straight instruction would be helpful. If waze would provide a option to trigger such an instruction that would be fine. But I also disagree that the default behavior should be changed to give a continue instruction whenever a road name changes.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Altantic, US
Verizon, Droid Razr Maxx HD, Android 4.1.2, Waze 3.7.9.909
CBenson
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby iahim » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:51 am

AndyPoms wrote:The only time I would like a continue straight instruction is when I'm going from a surface street to a ramp that is directly ahead of me - basically saying "hey get on the highway". This will also avoid the problem of "Turn Right onto Main St" and then having your next instruction be "Exit Right at Exit 12: State Route 900 / Anytown"

I agree. I was in that situation about a week ago in an unfamiliar area, at an intersection with two left turn lanes, one straight into the freeway and one right turn lane. Waze did not say anything so for a few milliseconds I was not sure if I should continue straight on the freeway or turn left, where the road I was on appeared to continue. So if you need to continue straight on a ramp I think Waze should announce it.

Another reason for the instruction to continue straight would be to display the freeway/highway in the directions list. Otherwise the directions show that you will stay on the two lane road for 100 miles. In reality it's one mile on that road and 99 on the freeway.
iahim

Postby OldGnome » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:02 pm

t-bomb wrote:IMHO, if a street changes name, be it a relatively straight or smooth transition, a call out should be made. Any commercial GPS does this.

I disagree with your assertion. Here in Southern Hillsborough County (FL), there are many streets with name designations that change within a few miles or less. My Garmin never calls those out.
OldGnome

Postby PhantomSoul » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:59 pm

Under the principle of simpler is better, there is no announcement or maneuver needed if there is no turn required at a junction or if the only way out of a junction is a slight turn. This curbs those annoying "continue onto..." announcements that all the other systems do when, for example you enter into a highway. I don't need an instruction if I'm not turning.
Wazing the Garden State... one jughandle at a time.
AM: New Jersey, LEVEL 5
AT&T iPhone 5 / iOS 7.1 / Waze 3.7.8
PhantomSoul
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor

Postby t-bomb » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:48 pm

This is a code update request for the client.

During navigation, Waze does not call out a change in street name when the street name changes on a slight turn, curve or straight through movements. I have many examples, here are two:

In this one, when exiting US 422 onto Swedesford Road, my route takes me down Guthrie to North Gulph. Once on the ramp and approaching the intersection of Swedesford and Guthrie and the ramp, no call out is made, but the next turn displayed is a Left on North Gulph. It would be nice to have a call out of 'go straight onto Guthrie Road' at the intersection - in a case where you're not using voice nav and you just glance that there's a turn, it's confusing:
https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=7&lat ... 0,62668130

Same sort of thing here, when on First avenue going toward North Gulph, if you are being directed to I-76 EB, you will get your next turn listed as taking a ramp to I-76 once you're on North Gulph, without any mention of getting onto US 422 EB because it's a straight through:
https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=7&lat ... 8,66791146

The same holds true for streets that don't intersect at a hard 90-degree in many cases. IMHO, if a street changes name, be it a relatively straight or smooth transition, a call out should be made. Any commercial GPS does this.
t-bomb

Postby t-bomb » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:56 pm

Wow, a spirited discussion I did start, but a really good one at that, and many good points.

My specific example is probably not the norm. The one option to add a trigger for it would be a good idea. My specific case is that I have a local road that geometrically aligns with an on-ramp to a limited access highway. In this case, it would be useful for a driver unfamiliar with the area to know that he/she is getting on to US 422 East, as the area is congested and confusing. As of now, a driver only knows that he's eventually going to merge onto I-76.

When it's a local road that just plain changes names, I agree. Stay silent, and call out the next turn, or call out that the road name changes.

Whatever the case, hopefully this gives the development team some stuff to think about. :)
t-bomb

Postby Timbones » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:47 pm

... except at roundabouts.

via mobile
Timbones(6) • UK Country Admin & Coordinator • Forum Moderator • Beta Editor and Routing Expert
Scripts: WME Colour Highlights v1.8 (Feb 2014)WME Route Tester
Timbones
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Return to Navigation & Routing