Missing pieces of route

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Missing pieces of route

Postby AggieJM » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:59 pm

I noticed this issue happening quite frequently this weekend on my trip up and down US Hwy 77.

While driving on route, I would notice sections of the map where the road was visible but the purple line showing the route would disappear for short stretches. When I would get into one of these areas, the distance to next turn number would no longer update, although the map would keep scrolling with my current position. As I would get close to the point where the route re-appeared on the map, I would get the spinning Waze icon and the directions would change to "Proceed to highlighted route" with the distance to my next turn listed. Then after driving a short distance into the area where the route reappeared, the directions would change to reflect the correct next turn with the distance.

Showing the multiple "missing" pieces of the route
waze_miss2.PNG
waze_miss2.PNG (86.89 KiB) Viewed 2472 times

As I was nearing the end of the missing section and moving into where the route reappeared
waze_highlighted.PNG
waze_highlighted.PNG (108.63 KiB) Viewed 2470 times

This problem only appeared to happen on US Hwy 77. I didn't have any issues on I-35 or any other roads I drove over the weekend. I thought it might be an issue with cell service that was causing missing map tiles, but I did a refresh of the map in a few areas and it didn't change. I also had full coverage in some areas where the problem was occurring.

I typically use auto-zoom based on speed so that I can see a long distance ahead of me on the map when at highway speed. When I was reaching one of these areas last night, I zoomed the map into a closer level and noticed this at the beginning of a few of these areas.

waze_no_seg.PNG
waze_no_seg.PNG (97.79 KiB) Viewed 2467 times

It appears that there is a missing section of the road that wasn't visible when zoomed out. The missing piece is extremely short (less than 0.1 mile). When I look at the map in the editor, nothing appears to be missing and everything is connected properly. This "missing" segment is also in the middle of a long segment in the editor that doesn't have any intermediate junctions. And since Waze routed across this section with no issues, I don't see how there could be any missing connectivity. But it also seems to be too short to be a tile that wasn't downloaded since I can see detail in the surrounding area.

Any ideas what may be causing these issues?
AT&T iPhone 5s iOS 7.0.4
Waze 3.7.7.0 (Crown, AM)
AggieJM

Re: Missing pieces of route

Postby AggieJM » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:12 pm

Is there a place I need to report these types of issues to see if it's something related to the road data? Or is it just a generic problem that the dev staff is looking into?
AT&T iPhone 5s iOS 7.0.4
Waze 3.7.7.0 (Crown, AM)
AggieJM

Missing pieces of route

Postby AggieJM » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:39 am

Still saw the issue tonight on many segments of US-77 and still consistently in one place on I-35E.

There were a couple of times the map appeared to be missing a tile since the whole area while zoomed in was blank. But other times it was just a small piece missing.

I dropped a bunch of URs so I or someone else can take a closer look at the map in those spots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (blame my phone for any typos)
AT&T iPhone 5s iOS 7.0.4
Waze 3.7.7.0 (Crown, AM)
AggieJM

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:08 pm

We do not yet know what is causing these issues, but they have been reported in several threads over the last few weeks.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | Oregon Project/To-Do List
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone5 - VZ - iOS 7.0.6 | Waze v3.7.9.992
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:25 pm

AggieJM wrote:Is there a place I need to report these types of issues to see if it's something related to the road data? Or is it just a generic problem that the dev staff is looking into?

I would suggest you submit a ticket from the Support page. Include a link to the image from the app, as well as a permalink to the location of the gap in the editor.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Missing pieces of route

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:36 am

This was supposedly fixed on the us server recently.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:58 pm

AggieJM wrote:I dropped a bunch of URs so I or someone else can take a closer look at the map in those spots.

Please open a support ticket with a permalink to the general area showing these URs.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby hern_28 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:55 am

I have seen the same issues on a recent trip of mine. After looking at the map in edit mode it seemed to be occurring where roads cross but do not intersect (i.e overpasses and such) and waze maps has both roads on the same level. Will be testing this when I move closer to an affected area.
hern_28

Postby invented » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:39 am

they're nothing if not consistent. they usually happen to the same batch of segments over and over again.
HTC one, GPE, Android 4.4
invented
Beta tester
Beta tester

Return to Navigation & Routing