Waze only suggests Express/Toll route on I495 DC

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Waze only suggests Express/Toll route on I495 DC

Postby AndyPoms » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:17 am

Waze will automatically select the Fastest/Shortest (depending on your specific menu settings) Route to your destination. If you press the "Routes" button when selecting your destination (or by going Menu->Routes while already navigating), Waze will (should) list alternate routes.
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AndyPoms » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:49 pm

I just traced I-495 from where the express lanes start to where it joins I-95 and didn't see any issues, BUT there are edits that haven't gone live yet (they will with the next update)...
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby CBenson » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:23 pm

AndyPoms wrote:Waze will (should) list alternate routes.

But that's the problem, waze doesn't do this consistently.

However, for the UR its so hard to tell what the problem really is. Waze can give me the choice of the regular lanes there, but this may change depending on the destination.
ExpAlt.jpg
ExpAlt.jpg (24.09 KiB) Viewed 633 times
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Altantic, US
Verizon, Droid Razr Maxx HD, Android 4.1.2, Waze 3.7.9.909
CBenson
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby CBenson » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:54 pm

MysticCobra wrote:Yes, as you said waze SHOULD provide an alternative but it doesn't do this consistently. Often, I will click the Routes button and still only get 1 option. That's what I want to address... the "WHY?"

Waze does seem to make some unnecessary assumptions when it provides alternative routes that causes it not provide available options. For example, if I ask for a route from Georgetown Pike to Van Dorn Rd with my default settings, waze gives the two routes on the Beltway (one via the express lanes and one via the regular lanes). But waze only gives those two choices.
2options.jpg
2options.jpg (22.41 KiB) Viewed 601 times

If I then change my settings to "Avoid major highways" and try again, waze has no problem finding three additional options (albeit with much later ETAs).
addoptions.jpg
addoptions.jpg (30.97 KiB) Viewed 601 times

It would be nice if waze always gave three options.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Altantic, US
Verizon, Droid Razr Maxx HD, Android 4.1.2, Waze 3.7.9.909
CBenson
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Waze only suggests Express/Toll route on I495 DC

Postby MysticCobra » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:05 am

So, I have had this complaint from time to time and I think this user complaint is the same thing....

https://www.waze.com/editor/?lon=-77.19 ... TTTTTTTTFT

Waze on occasion will only suggest one route. I don't think it should matter if it is a toll route or not, I feel like waze should ALWAYS suggest an alternative (whether the primary route is a toll or not). Even if route A is 14 minutes to destination and route B is 28 minutes. I still want a CHOICE!

Why doesn't waze suggest more alternatives? How do we submit a bug fix/request to get more alternate routes EXPECIALLY when 1 route is a TOLL route?
Jimmy
Samsung Galaxy S4-Android 4.3, Waze 3.8.7.0
Northern VA
MysticCobra

Postby MysticCobra » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:07 pm

Yes, as you said waze SHOULD provide an alternative but it doesn't do this consistently. Often, I will click the Routes button and still only get 1 option. That's what I want to address... the "WHY?"

And as for that specific UR, yes I was speculating. There were several URs on the beltway where I couldn't determine exactly what the problem was with the info given but my best guess is that waze had directed the user onto the Toll lanes and the user was actually driving on the regular lanes. Thus, waze gave "wrong directions" to get off. There's really no fix for that. This leads back to my previous suggestion to have waze suggest a toll and no toll route. But the user could still have pushed the wrong button or ignored the route, or something else.
Jimmy
Samsung Galaxy S4-Android 4.3, Waze 3.8.7.0
Northern VA
MysticCobra

Return to Navigation & Routing