500ft TTS notification?

Moderator: Unholy

Re: 500ft TTS notification?

Postby jasonh300 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:23 am

When it's counting down tenths of a mile, it makes the announcement for one-tenth of a mile, or 500 ft when the 0.2 turns to 0.1. This seems logical, but as Alan says, it's actually at .19 without that 9 visible. The announcement gets made, and then 10-15 seconds pass and then it starts counting down in feet...starting with 475 ft.

It should be switching from 0.1 to 500 ft (or 530 ft for that matter) and that's when the announcement should be made. Until I saw it happening, I couldn't make any sense of it.

Also, it seems to chopping off the "In" with TTS. Instead of "In 500 ft, turn" I'm only hearing "500 ft, turn". It doesn't seem to happen every time though. The two times I noticed it, I was turning right.
New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
Regional Coordinator, South-Central Region
U.S. Champ, Global Champ
Waze FAQ ... Best Map Editing Practice
Ask me about Louisiana or Mississippi Editors Chat in Google Hangouts!
jasonh300
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby PhantomSoul » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:48 pm

As far as I know, a TTS system that is savvy in imperial distances should probably read out distances of less than a mile as follows:

1 or more miles = # of miles
0.5 = half a mile
0.2-0.3 = quarter of a mile
0.1 or less = # of feet, starting with 500 (0.1 miles = 528 ft; the 28 ft over 500 is really insignificant on the road when approaching a turn) and counting down.

Typically, highways signs, at least here in New Jersey - and this is most evident on construction signs, starting counting down feet at 1500, suggesting that really anything less than a quarter mile should just be measured in feet. I realize 1500 ft is a little more than a quarter mile, but I guess it's more obvious and concise - and probably easier to print - on a sign than a quarter mile.

Something is definitely funky with the distances to roadside alert pins. I don't think it's showing metric figures instead of imperial, because that would make things appear on the Waze map closer than they really are. Rather the effect is opposite; I drive about half a mile and it only counted off a couple hundred feet.
MENTOR, CM: USA, SM: NJ NY, AM: Northern NJ, Upstate NY
Waze Editing Manual | USA Road Types | USA Forum
Verizon iPhone 6 / iOS 9.2.1 / Waze 4.2.0
PhantomSoul
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:51 pm

The TTS and on-screen don't match up at the 500ft mark in the current app beta. When the app shows going from .2 to .1 miles (which is really .19 miles), you get the "in 500ft" notification, which is wrong by 500ft. The notification is really coming at the 1000ft mark.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.3.1 | Waze v4.4.9904
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Previous

Return to Navigation & Routing