Wrong routing when using stops

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Wrong routing when using stops

Postby Arnoniem » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:22 am

I'm having a similar issue here in the Netherlands, last week.

When I select a gas station exactly on my route from work to home, it sends me 5km around it. Even when I was only 800 meters away, it was still sending me a 5.4 km route to the gas station!

Don't understand why.
CM:The Netherlands CM:U.A.E. CM:Oman
Arnoniem
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby CBenson » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:56 pm

Interesting. Would you mind providing a permalink.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Altantic, US
Verizon, Droid Razr Maxx HD, Android 4.1.2, Waze 3.7.9.909
CBenson
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby CBenson » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:12 pm

Hmm. I see you point. You would think the routes would be the same if given to a stop point or to the ultimate destination. I'm trying to get a similar result on destinations around me, but so far all the routes I've tried have given the same routes regardless of whether the location is the destination or an added stop. I don't know why waze is giving you the longer route when you add your son's work location to the route.
CBenson
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby CBenson » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:34 am

Checked for what? Waze routes fine from A to B along the shorter route.
CBenson
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby crazed_out » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:03 pm

Thought I wrote this already but can't find it so I'll write it again.

As far as I can see Waze loves its routes. So much it will only calculate the shortest possible deviation from the original route when adding a stop. When you pick your destination a calculation happens and the resulting route is the one used for the trip. Adding a stop will not cause a recalculation for the entire trip.

When a stop is far off your route it is more efficient to set the stop as your destination and the set the new destination when you arrive at your stop.

It's kind of counterintuitive, but that's what happens. Adding a stop should trigger a routewide recalculation, and until it does this is what we have to live with.

/Anders
Area Manager in Sweden, parts of Västra Götaland (West Sweden).
Samsung Galaxy Note II GT-N7105 (4.1.2 stock) | Volvo 850 T5 -96 med +25000mil | Nissan Micra -04 10000mil
crazed_out

Postby jwkilgore » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:44 pm

Ok, I'm not the only one. I live in East Brainerd, TN (location H), and work in Chattanooga, TN (location W). I drop off/pick up my kids at my ex-wife's house in Hixson, TN (location X), on the way to/from work. The three locations form a rough triangle, with a major obstacle (TN River) across two of the legs.

If I'm routing from any of the locations to any of the other locations it usually does OK. But if I'm routing to one and add the other as a stop it's not OK. It's like it routes me to the stop, routes me back to the location where I deviated from the original route, then continues to the original destination.

So say I'm leaving W to go to H, and add X as a stop. Waze routes me from work across the TN River to Hixson, then it routes me all the way back to downtown (across the river again) before proceeding home. This about a 50% increase in miles.
Jason Kilgore
Motorola Droid Bionic | Android 4.1.2 | Waze 3.7.3
Area Manager: Mississippi and Tennessee
jwkilgore

Wrong routing when using stops

Postby kuduboet » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:09 am

xteejx wrote:Shorter route checked??

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I am guessing he is questioning is shorter route checked in the settings but looking at it either way, green looks shorter. Doesn't make sense to me either. Strandloper, they may be taking you past a scenic vineyard based on where you are :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just Wazin' through life and loving it!

Area Manager for East Side of Cleveland, Ohio

Wiki Resources: Map Editing | Best Practices | Waze FAQ
kuduboet

Postby RodNav » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:19 pm

I was reading this thread out of interest because with my new phone I can finally use the latest waze instead of the old symbian version :oops: , so I've started exploring the 'Stops' function. When I noticed the name 'strandloper' I thought: "Ah, another South African". Then I looked at the map again and realized that I live almost in the centre of that map, near where the 3 routes converge!

I have found that routing to my house from the Gants area (in the general area of A) it sometimes suggests the red route. If I try again it will sometimes change to a route similar to the green route. I agree that the red route will normally take longer, but since the turn from the N2 onto Victoria St (where Green and Red diverge) sometimes takes a long time, and there are more traffic lights and traffic on the green route, the difference in route times may not be as significant as one might think. Possibly waze still needs to get more speed info from wazers driving those roads to be more accurate.

But all of this does not explain why you get the red route only when selecting a Stop. I have just tested with my phone and can confirm the behaviour you've reported. (I have 'Fastest' selected). I guess it must be the issue mentioned in the link TonyG-UK posted. So I guess you should keep trying the Stops function and see if it comes right again.
Country Manager for South Africa.
Samsung GT-I9300 (Galaxy S3), Android 4.1.2
RodNav
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby sketch » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:40 pm

This has been happening to me as well. Waze gave me a route to a stop on an interstate with 3 mph traffic, with an estimated time to arrival of 18 minutes or so. I started to drive in a way that I knew to be much faster, but it tried over and over to take me on the interstate. After driving away from the interstate for about two miles, I started the route over again, and it gave me the better route with a much shorter ETA (9 minutes instead of the 18 reported before I cancelled the route).

I've had similar things happen over the past few weeks. I use the stop feature somewhat often.
iphone 5 • ios 7.1 • waze 3.7.9.914 • mac os 10.9.2
new orleans based • detroit enthusiast • usa country manager
2013 ford focus titanium hatchback 5mt • performance blue
Image Image
sketch
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby sketch » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:00 pm

Here's an example where it gets it totally and blatantly wrong:

The endpoint is a house at the right edge of the screen. The via point is the airport in the top left.

The route to the airport should have taken me straight down the interstate to the airport.

Instead, the route took me off the interstate, down Causeway, up W Esplanade, back up Clearview, and back to the interstate. That's 10 extra minutes, for no reason whatsoever.

I've highlighted the incorrect route in green, and the correct route in yellow.

I've seen some pretty bad via-point routing, but this is a particularly egregious example.

crazed_out wrote:As far as I can see Waze loves its routes. So much it will only calculate the shortest possible deviation from the original route when adding a stop. When you pick your destination a calculation happens and the resulting route is the one used for the trip. Adding a stop will not cause a recalculation for the entire trip.

When a stop is far off your route it is more efficient to set the stop as your destination and the set the new destination when you arrive at your stop.

I've seen that, to an extent, but Waze is far more forgiving when a stop point is not set. We'd be better off if the two routes should be calculated separately and then added together.
iphone 5 • ios 7.1 • waze 3.7.9.914 • mac os 10.9.2
new orleans based • detroit enthusiast • usa country manager
2013 ford focus titanium hatchback 5mt • performance blue
Image Image
sketch
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Next

Return to Navigation & Routing