Strange nav error: dirt road to farm *behind* destination!

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Strange nav error: dirt road to farm *behind* destinatio

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:20 pm

http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/FAQ# ... ocation.3F

When it comes to getting you to the closest spot on the segment closest to the lat/lon of the destination, turn restrictions, dirt roads, etc. do not matter. That's the only way to get you to the proper location on the map. Either the map or the address needs to be fixed.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | Oregon Project/To-Do List
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone5 - VZ - iOS 7.0.6 | Waze v3.7.9.992
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:35 am

DonRadlauer wrote:IMO this is a bug: there should be a strong preference for taking me to the closest point to the destination address on the destination address's road, rather than to some other road that is nearby. (This is especially the case if the alternate road is not a "normal" one.

I can understand why you think it a bug. But Waze has not yet any internal addressing lookup mechanisms in most cases and therefore relies 100% on the lat/lon returned. It will always get you rob the closest point on the road closest to that spot regardless of turn restrictions and road types.. That's the current Waze routing server feature. Soon we can adjust the address location directly in Waze.

DonRadlauer wrote:(And in the mean time, Google has disappeared from Waze's search tabs - not good!)

Yes, discussed and reason provided in the "google gone" thread.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:43 pm

DonRadlauer wrote:> ...discussed and reason provided in the "google gone" thread.

Can you provide a link? A spoiler (as in, "Relax - it'll be fixed," or "Sorry - kiss your Google goodbye forever!")?

As a software developer, I'd think you'd figure out how to type google gone in the search box.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby DonRadlauer » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:16 pm

Two days ago, I asked Waze to take from Ra'anana to 37 Adirim St. in Tel Aviv (in the Tzahala neighborhood). My system was set on "avoid dirt roads".

Waze navigated me through the parking lot of the tennis center near HaKfar HaYaroq, then along a *long* series of heavily-rutted dirt farm roads. (I'm used to off-road driving, but in my wife's 4x4 - not my little Hyundai!) Finally Waze announced that I had reached my destination - and I had, in the sense that it was quite nearby. However, the back of my friend's house was behind a high wall, and I had to go a long way out of my way to find a place where I could enter civilization and walk to my friend's house.

The dirt roads do look like they're correctly identified as such on the "live map" on your website. So what happened? Did I do something wrong, or have I discovered a Waze bug?

Thanks in advance for any light you can shed!

-Don Radlauer
DonRadlauer

Postby DonRadlauer » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:30 am

Interesting. So if I'm understanding you correctly, if a house happens to have a dirt road just behind it, Waze may very well direct me to the nearest point to that house along the dirt road, even if I've got dirt roads disabled and the house's address is on a "real" road.

IMO this is a bug: there should be a strong preference for taking me to the closest point to the destination address on the destination address's road, rather than to some other road that is nearby. (This is especially the case if the alternate road is not a "normal" one.) In other words, if I've asked for 123 Main Street, Waze should make every effort to take me to Main Street rather than Maple Street, even if Maple Street runs very close to 123 Main Street. Certainly in my case, Waze served me very poorly for this address!

(And in the mean time, Google has disappeared from Waze's search tabs - not good!)
DonRadlauer

Postby DonRadlauer » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:51 am

> I can understand why you think it a bug.

Well, I should hope so. Anything that makes me take a non-off-road car over a kilometer or two of deeply rutted farm roads and then leaves me on the wrong side of a tall brick wall from my destination is a bug in my book! (I'm a software developer with some 32 years' experience, BTW - I know a bit about bugs, having created and fixed more than a few.)

> ...discussed and reason provided in the "google gone" thread.

Can you provide a link? A spoiler (as in, "Relax - it'll be fixed," or "Sorry - kiss your Google goodbye forever!")?
DonRadlauer

Postby DonRadlauer » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:35 pm

Sorry - didn't initially realize that you meant "Google gone" as a literal thread title. In any case, the thread seems to have petered out inconclusively; have you seen or heard anything further regarding Little Lost Google?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
DonRadlauer

Postby harling » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:38 pm

The solution in situations like this is to map a driveway/Private Road for the destination, at the desired entry point of the property, and make sure it runs closer to the destination coordinates than the incorrect (dirt road, interstate, etc.) does.
Area Manager, Eastern MA & Southern NH. Country Manager, USA.
Help wanted. Drop me a line!
Wiki Resources: Area Manager Wiki | Map Editing | Best Practices | Known Issues List
harling
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Return to Navigation & Routing