Long route problems

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Long route problems

Postby AggieJM » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:29 pm

I'm still battling with Waze not picking the best route for a long drive that I make fairly often.

The route is basically Prosper, TX to Giddings, TX. Waze always wants to select I-35 south all the way to Austin, then east on US-290 to Giddings. This is roughly a 275 mile trip, depending on how you get from I-35 to US-290. The proper route is I-35 south to Waco, then US-77 south to Giddings. This is a 230 mile trip that takes right at 4 hours.

When leaving on that trip heading south, Waze picks I-35/US-290. Once I get south of Dallas, it will usually recalculate and pick up a bypass at Austin (US-130) that saves some time, then a little further down the road it will finally pick the route on US-77 and show the proper arrival time. There is no traffic or any other reports on US-77 that would cause it not to pick that route, and once it does pick that route the ETA is dead on so it doesn't appear to be a road speed data issue. This one isn't so bad since it ends up picking the better route after I've driven a while, but it's frustrating to have an incorrect ETA until after I've been on the road for an hour or so.

Now when I reverse that trip to head north, this is where it really has problems. The only route presented when I start is US-290 west toward Austin to reach I-35N (using the bypasses at Austin). Once again, it takes the 275 mile, 4 hour 20 minute route over the shorter 230 mile, just under 4 hour route. The problem this time is how far I have to drive on my normal route before it finally recalculates to the route I want. When I ran this route on Sunday night, I left Giddings and headed north on US-77 and just let Waze keep recalculating to see how far I would go before it found the right way. I was between Lexington and Rockdale on US-77 and it was still insisting that I turn around and go back to US-290 to head west toward Austin. At that point, it was projecting the route at 300miles and 4h 36min. Finally, it ended up picking a slightly shorter route that used US-79 in Rockdale to head west toward I-35 which it calculated at 262miles and 4h 4min. About 10 minutes up the road it proudly announced that it found a better route and picked my normal path which at that point was 216 miles and 3h 22min.

I've been over US-77 many times looking for turn restrictions or any other problems and I have not been able to find any. But for some reason, Waze is always reluctant to use this path even though it's optimal on time and much better on mileage.

The way it behaves on my northbound trip doesn't give me much confidence in using it for directions in areas I'm not familiar with since it may be sending me on the long way around. Does anyone have any suggestions on what might be causing this issue?
AT&T iPhone 5s iOS 7.0.4
Waze 3.7.7.0 (Crown, AM)
AggieJM

Long route problems

Postby AggieJM » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:05 pm

No one has any ideas?
AT&T iPhone 5s iOS 7.0.4
Waze 3.7.7.0 (Crown, AM)
AggieJM

Re: Long route problems

Postby AggieJM » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:16 pm

Sorry for the long original post, I was trying to get all the details out there for troubleshooting.

I spent a little more time digging into this today, using LiveMap to test routes from various points.

I've narrowed down one area that I'm completely at a loss for why it acts like it does.

Here is the permalink for the area in question:

https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=3&lat ... TTTTTTTTFT

When I start routes from that area, I'm getting widely varied routes.

From this point north of CR-417. 3h34m - 226miles or 3h51m - 237.5miles

From this point south of CR-417. 5h3m - 311miles or 5h30m - 336miles

The points are only 0.5 miles apart and it will find a route directly between them.

I don't see any odd turn restrictions or other problems on that node between CR-417 and US-77. So what would cause a 0.5 mile difference in starting point result in this extreme of a route difference?
AT&T iPhone 5s iOS 7.0.4
Waze 3.7.7.0 (Crown, AM)
AggieJM

Postby AggieJM » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:16 am

Possibly, but what really puzzles me is why the huge difference in routing when you pick two points that are only 0.5 miles apart? I could see that the more miles of Major Highway and Freeway might sway the decision, but would if the routing algorithm will let a 0.5 mile difference in starting point tack on 1.5 hours to a route, that seems like a BIG problem.

I still think there is some hidden issue with that particular area, but I have no idea what it would be.
AT&T iPhone 5s iOS 7.0.4
Waze 3.7.7.0 (Crown, AM)
AggieJM

Postby AggieJM » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:26 am

I'm probably making that trip (heading south) again next Thursday (2/21). I should be on the northbound return on the following Sunday (2/24).

One thing I just realized, I even had this issue when US-77 was a Major Highway. I don't know if it was specifically localized around that intersection, but Waze never wanted to route on US-77 until I was well north of Giddings.

But I'm open for trying anything...
AT&T iPhone 5s iOS 7.0.4
Waze 3.7.7.0 (Crown, AM)
AggieJM

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:15 pm

It's a lot of area to cover, right? (Really long post, too. I didn't read it all.)

May I suggest you and the other Texas-area folks discuss it in the TX forum? May be more relevant there.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | Oregon Project/To-Do List
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone5 - VZ - iOS 7.0.6 | Waze v3.7.9.992
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby txemt » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:55 pm

I've helped try to figure this out, but this is beyond me. I fixed a few things that I saw, but not the root of the problem.
Just wazeting my time to help you waze your route smoothly
AM-S Florida & Texas
US CM
RC-US Territories
"Don't Mess With TxEmt"
Read, Read & Read
txemt
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby txemt » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:40 pm

The ONLY thing I can think of....Waze likes the major highway of 290 over the minor highway of 77.
AM-S Florida & Texas
US CM
RC-US Territories
"Don't Mess With TxEmt"
Read, Read & Read
txemt
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby txemt » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:05 am

I'm not seeing anything, nor are you, so I have NO clue what's going on. I've run giddings to lexington on the live map and it goes straight up 77, so I don't know why it does it from giddings to prosper, except to think maybe Waze likes 290 over 77. When are you taking that trip again? I'm gonna try something.
AM-S Florida & Texas
US CM
RC-US Territories
"Don't Mess With TxEmt"
Read, Read & Read
txemt
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby txemt » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:41 am

You read my mind.