Service Road affects routing?

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Service Road affects routing?

Postby AggieJM » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:21 pm

I've noticed an odd routing behavior, but I'm not sure if I'm seeing the right cause.

If you're on the far north side of Dallas, TX (Frisco) and heading to a destination south of Dallas on I-35E, the fastest route is to take the Dallas North Tollway south to I-35E in downtown. At the end of the DNT, there is a ramp that you leave the DNT that puts you onto the I-35E service road, then a few feet later you take the ramp onto I-35E. Service road segment highlighted in this permalink:

https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=3&lat ... s=49823859

Whenever I route through here, Waze will always suggest DNT to I-635 west, to I-35E south. But as I drive down the tollway and get within a few miles of I-635, the routing will update to skip I-635 and use DNT all the way into downtown.

Is this cause by the longer route opting to not use the Service Road, then as I get further down the DNT, the route is shorter and the Service Road becomes an option? Or is there something else that I should be looking for?
AT&T iPhone 5s iOS 7.0.4
Waze 3.7.7.0 (Crown, AM)
AggieJM

Re: Service Road affects routing?

Postby AggieJM » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:07 pm

If we just change that one segment of the service road, will it negatively affect any other routing along that service road? I'll make the change and test the routing after the next update, just wanted to make sure it wouldn't break any routing that uses a longer portion of that service road that includes that one segment.
AT&T iPhone 5s iOS 7.0.4
Waze 3.7.7.0 (Crown, AM)
AggieJM

Postby AggieJM » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:11 pm

bgodette wrote:A better question would be: Why are you using "Service Road" for what's called an Urban Collector (eg Primary in Waze) under Functional Classification. Service Roads route exactly like Street and are subject to the same pruning rules.

Wasn't my choice. All of the frontage roads to the major highways in the Dallas area are set as the 'Service Road' type. It's been that way since before I started editing. I just noted the problem it was causing on my trips through the area.
AT&T iPhone 5s iOS 7.0.4
Waze 3.7.7.0 (Crown, AM)
AggieJM

Postby AggieJM » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:19 pm

The frontage roads along that section of I-35 have been set to Primary, but the same issue still exists. Waze will not route from the Dallas North Tollway onto I-35 on a long route since it appears that the Primary street is still being pruned until you get closer to that location.

Any other suggestions on how to resolve this issue?
AT&T iPhone 5s iOS 7.0.4
Waze 3.7.7.0 (Crown, AM)
AggieJM

Postby AggieJM » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:15 pm

The two concerns I had with swapping that to ramp:

1) Will it affect routing in that local area where you are using the segments of the frontage road before and after the piece updated to ramp?

2) Keeping other editors from "fixing" that segment to make it line up with the other segments of the frontage.

I can make the change if neither of these are a problem.
AT&T iPhone 5s iOS 7.0.4
Waze 3.7.7.0 (Crown, AM)
AggieJM

Postby AggieJM » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:29 pm

I changed that segment to a ramp. The ramp coming from the DNT and the ramp going to I-35E S have different names, so I don't think this will be an issue. I'll give it a couple of days to update, then I'll check the routing through the client for the trip that usually gives me issues.

If it all looks good, I'll get a Level 5 to lock that segment.
AT&T iPhone 5s iOS 7.0.4
Waze 3.7.7.0 (Crown, AM)
AggieJM

Postby bgodette » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:06 pm

A better question would be: Why are you using "Service Road" for what's called an Urban Collector (eg Primary in Waze) under Functional Classification. Service Roads route exactly like Street and are subject to the same pruning rules.
ImageImage
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby bgodette » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:39 am

jasonh300 wrote:Yup. Ramp or highway type. If it's a long route and it doesn't fall into the first or last 10 km of the trip, Waze will see it as if it's completely disconnected. That's where the Primary Streets and Streets get pruned from the options.
O Rly? The thread. That route wouldn't work if that were the case.
ImageImage
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby CBenson » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:27 pm

I don't know, but think that it is a very plausible theory. I don't have much experience with the routing properties of service roads, but have always been told that they are similar to street segments. I would be very interested to know if the long distance routing changed if that segment were changed to ramp type.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Altantic, US
Verizon, Droid Razr Maxx HD, Android 4.1.2, Waze 3.7.9.909
CBenson
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby CBenson » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:00 pm

Would not ramp type also prevent this from happening? The segment is between two ramp segments and it would seem to me to be much less likely to be "corrected" as a ramp segment than as the only minor highway segment within a half mile of that location. Either way, I would be interested to confirm that the long distance routing changes with a change to the road type here.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Altantic, US
Verizon, Droid Razr Maxx HD, Android 4.1.2, Waze 3.7.9.909
CBenson
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Next

Return to Navigation & Routing