Service Road affects routing?

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Service Road affects routing?

Postby jasonh300 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:13 pm

Yup. Ramp or highway type. If it's a long route and it doesn't fall into the first or last 10 km of the trip, Waze will see it as if it's completely disconnected. That's where the Primary Streets and Streets get pruned from the options.
jasonh300

Postby CBenson » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:36 pm

I'd still be inclined to change the one segment between the two ramp segments to ramp type.
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AggieJM » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:19 pm

The frontage roads along that section of I-35 have been set to Primary, but the same issue still exists. Waze will not route from the Dallas North Tollway onto I-35 on a long route since it appears that the Primary street is still being pruned until you get closer to that location.

Any other suggestions on how to resolve this issue?
AggieJM
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby AggieJM » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:11 pm

bgodette wrote:A better question would be: Why are you using "Service Road" for what's called an Urban Collector (eg Primary in Waze) under Functional Classification. Service Roads route exactly like Street and are subject to the same pruning rules.

Wasn't my choice. All of the frontage roads to the major highways in the Dallas area are set as the 'Service Road' type. It's been that way since before I started editing. I just noted the problem it was causing on my trips through the area.
AggieJM
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby bgodette » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:06 pm

A better question would be: Why are you using "Service Road" for what's called an Urban Collector (eg Primary in Waze) under Functional Classification. Service Roads route exactly like Street and are subject to the same pruning rules.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby WeeeZer14 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:30 pm

If it wasn't for the parking lots between the two exiting ramps, I'd say to just extend the off-ramp further east so that it actually connects to the on-ramp. Then ramp to ramp traffic only sees ramp and service road through traffic only sees service roads.

The problems:
- coming off the off-ramp and having a decision between ramp and service road means the on-ramp will probably be the "best continuation" and you will NOT get a stay or exit left. Workaround: make the on-ramp branch off at a 90 degree angle to force a TURN left in all cases.
- if anyone maps those parking lot roads, they will either only connect to the service road or someone will make a huge mess.
- close parallel roads usually scream "mistake!" and someone will think it needs to be fixed.
WeeeZer14

Postby AggieJM » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:07 pm

If we just change that one segment of the service road, will it negatively affect any other routing along that service road? I'll make the change and test the routing after the next update, just wanted to make sure it wouldn't break any routing that uses a longer portion of that service road that includes that one segment.
AggieJM
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby jasonh300 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:17 am

A ramp would probably look not-as-bad-as minor highway.
jasonh300

Postby CBenson » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:00 pm

Would not ramp type also prevent this from happening? The segment is between two ramp segments and it would seem to me to be much less likely to be "corrected" as a ramp segment than as the only minor highway segment within a half mile of that location. Either way, I would be interested to confirm that the long distance routing changes with a change to the road type here.
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby jasonh300 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:12 pm

A service road will route just like a Primary Street, so it likely will be avoided on a very long route. It sounds from what you describe that the section of service road should be set to a highway type...probably a minor highway to prevent this from happening.
jasonh300

PreviousNext

Return to Navigation & Routing