Service Road affects routing?

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Service Road affects routing?

Postby ncc1701v » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:10 pm

Waze has utilized service roads well for me in Queens NY - they can be noticeably faster than the main freeway - but that's for short trips, only about 10 miles. I have two speculations about the routing algorithm:

(1) It doesn't deal with a fine level of complexity until you get close because it doesn't want to take traffic into consideration for the whole distance. Once you get close it's willing to do so.

(2) It has a rule about using freeways on trips above a certain rule-of-thumb distance; once you get below that distance it is free of that rule.
... and the "v" is for Volvo.
ncc1701v
Beta tester
Beta tester

Re: Service Road affects routing?

Postby WeeeZer14 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:30 pm

If it wasn't for the parking lots between the two exiting ramps, I'd say to just extend the off-ramp further east so that it actually connects to the on-ramp. Then ramp to ramp traffic only sees ramp and service road through traffic only sees service roads.

The problems:
- coming off the off-ramp and having a decision between ramp and service road means the on-ramp will probably be the "best continuation" and you will NOT get a stay or exit left. Workaround: make the on-ramp branch off at a 90 degree angle to force a TURN left in all cases.
- if anyone maps those parking lot roads, they will either only connect to the service road or someone will make a huge mess.
- close parallel roads usually scream "mistake!" and someone will think it needs to be fixed.
iPhone 5s (AT&T) • iOS 7.0.3 • Waze 3.7.6.0
✰ Mega Driver ✰ Mega Mapper ✰ 1M Points ✰
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)
Navigation/Routing ExpertForum Moderator
WeeeZer14
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Previous

Return to Navigation & Routing