"Fastest" road

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: "Fastest" road

Postby aerden21 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:46 pm

I think the route should have to considerate the traffic and the estimated speed of the route, I stay lock in the traffic thi week! :evil:
aerden21

Postby aigarslv » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:18 pm

Well this sometimes is due to Wazes inability to make U turn (as example). Or maybe because Waze thinks that left turn is restricted (map editor error, no node, soft turn), however after you make it, Waze recalculates and baaaam - new ETA.

I am sad that I must use the famous quote here, but: Don't blame Wazer, blame the Waze...
Latvian translation coordinator. Localization, Beta editor, Points, Client and Android expert. Content Creator on http://www.facebook.com/Waze
aigarslv
Beta tester
Beta tester

Re:

Postby CBenson » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:19 pm

PapaChanoli wrote:I'd be happy to clarify or help investigate this in the real world if I can. I will also try to be more clear if for some reason my description of the problem does not make sense.

I'm not at all familiar with the area. However, if I route from Patterson to Modesto with navigation type set to fastest I get the following routes:
Modesto.jpg
Modesto.jpg (25.54 KiB) Viewed 1228 times

If I set navigation type to shortest for the same route I get faster routes:
Modesto2.jpg
Modesto2.jpg (25.88 KiB) Viewed 1228 times

This does seem to be a problem to me.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Altantic, US
Verizon, Droid Razr Maxx HD, Android 4.1.2, Waze 3.7.9.909
CBenson
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby dknight212 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:05 am

Can you post an example of this so someone local can check it out?
David (not Dave!) Knight • Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (CM10.1.3) • Android 4.3 • Waze (whatever is latest)
Area Manager for LondonUK Country Admin
UK links: UK WikiUK ForumWaze UK on FacebookBecome a UK Area ManagerWaze Status
dknight212
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

"Fastest" road

Postby DrunkDrivingMan » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:16 am

Hi wazers! ;)

Looks like Waze is not returning to me the fastest path anymore. I didn't change the settings of course. It seems it is preferring highways like any other competitors gps navigator :roll:

That is no good at all, empirically speaking: if I choose not to follow the path it suggested, but I start following a path which I think is better, it recalculates the new path and it actually has a better ETA!!!

This should not be possible at all... The algorithm has gone worst for some reason. Of course I've done more than one test just to be sure this is not a map issue before posting.

So again... the algorithm has gone worst. Please fix!!
DrunkDrivingMan

Postby DrunkDrivingMan » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:17 pm

dknight212 wrote:Can you post an example of this so someone local can check it out?

I really do not know how to post an example... all I can say is that it happened more than once, in different locations (same city).

The point is: if Waze highlights the "Fastest" path for real, than every other path should have an higher ETA. So if Waze tells you "turn right" and you turn left instead, you should always get a new path with higher ETA. And that is not always happening for some reason I don't know.
DrunkDrivingMan

Re:

Postby DrunkDrivingMan » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:10 pm

aigarslv wrote:Well this sometimes is due to Wazes inability to make U turn (as example). Or maybe because Waze thinks that left turn is restricted (map editor error, no node, soft turn), however after you make it, Waze recalculates and baaaam - new ETA.

I am sad that I must use the famous quote here, but: Don't blame Wazer, blame the Waze...

U turn was not in my case, but maybe there could be something wrong in the map... all I hope is that the algorithm is still keeping in count every road and not only the biggest ones to save computations. ;)

Thanks for answering!
DrunkDrivingMan

Postby PapaChanoli » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:34 am

I'm encountering the same problem in the Central Valley of California. When waze gives me a route it will often give a route 15 to 20 minutes longer than the 30 minute route I normally drive. This appears to be because it prefers freeways, but when I turn off major freeways it seems to still prefer more highly travelled routes, (that part is an assumption.)

It will often take a much longer, less direct route.

As the OP suggested, I will make a turn in my preferred direction, and when it recalculates the ETA will be much shorter.

My working theory is that it is not acknowledging all of the back country roads that don't show GPS points on the ME. This theory may not be valid because many if the more direct roads do have GPS points. I have not encountered this problem in cities.

It should be noted that almost all of these roads have no posted speed limit so they default to 55 mph, the same speed limit as the other less direct roads Waze is directing me to.

One example would be traveling between Patterson, CA and the southwestern portion of Modesto, CA.

It would be nice to see this fixed, if for no other reason than newbies to Waze may encounter this problem and conclude that Waze navigation is very poor.

I'd be happy to clarify or help investigate this in the real world if I can. I will also try to be more clear if for some reason my description of the problem does not make sense.

There is definitely a demand for a Waze functionality companion app for walkers, joggers and bicyclists.
I manage three deserted parking lots.
PapaChanoli

Postby PapaChanoli » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:11 pm

CBenson wrote:I'm not at all familiar with the area. However, if I route from Patterson to Modesto with navigation type set to fastest I get the following routes:

This does seem to be a problem to me.

On the second picture you posted, the second and third option are more realistic, with the exception that since I travel between more specific destinations I probably have a slightly faster route.

All of the options on the first picture probably give a fair demonstration of what I tried to illustrate. You can imagine how this plays out to someone who is just driving with Waze on, and using routes to help teach it my preferred route. I know the way so I just turn my way and Waze adjusts, adding a much quicker arrival time.

For someone who doesn't know the way well but has another resource to compare to, or someone who is new to Waze, this might lead them to conclude is not a good navigation app. Because I see Waze as an awesome integration of crowd sourcing, I'm going to work through and try to be part of the solution. The more average consumer might compare this route to what Google maps or Apple Nav gives them and be unhappy with Waze. This is not in our best interest as fellow Waze enthusiasts.

So, as a newer Waze Editor, I'm curious about how this might get solved. Waze has some market share, it would be sad to see it lose too much if that.

Do other Wazers agree that the problem is sufficiently illustrated?

Again, I'll do what I can to help, but that is obviously limited.

There is definitely a demand for a Waze functionality companion app for walkers, joggers and bicyclists.
I manage three deserted parking lots.
PapaChanoli

Postby xteejx » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:32 am

We still don't know even what country this is in...
The routing algorithms used depend on how long your trip is. Much of this is documented in the wiki.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
xteejx

Return to Navigation & Routing