Fastest routing and aversion to Canada

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Fastest routing and aversion to Canada

Postby tgp1994 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:42 pm

Hello everyone,

In taking a road trip from south-west Michigan to the state of New York, I encountered a strange issue (to me at least) where Waze refused to route me through Canada.

When looking at what route I should take the other night, it looked like the sensible thing to do would be to drive through Canada via port Huron. However, Waze refused (even in alternate route listings) to go through Canada at all, up until I changed the routing method from fastest to shortest. I know that there is still the border to cross (twice), but this new route is clearly the fastest and shortest. Waze agreed on that after I changed the routing settings.

Is there any reason Waze did not suggest this optimal route (even as an alternative) until I altered the routing method? I have no avoidances set (unless any large parts of the highway are dirt), and I'm running Waze 3.6.0.0.

Thanks!
Waze is a wonderful app, but your safety and the safety of the drivers around you comes first!
tgp1994

Re: Fastest routing and aversion to Canada

Postby tgp1994 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:05 pm

That all makes sense, I can see how things might get dicey with the borders.
Waze is a wonderful app, but your safety and the safety of the drivers around you comes first!
tgp1994

Postby tgp1994 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:43 pm

jasonh300 wrote:
invented wrote:Do you have toll roads disabled?

You might just have to get to Windsor then fire up Waze from there.

You can also just route to the border crossing, and then route in steps from there. I know that sucks because you can't get an ETA on your final destination, but it's a workaround.

You also can add a stop somewhere along the route in Canada. Pick a place you may want to stop for the night, or for lunch or for gas or something like that.

I'm just passing through the boarder to NY, I'll give that a try on my way back, thanks :)
invented wrote:Do you have toll roads disabled?

You might just have to get to Windsor then fire up Waze from there.

They should be allowed, Waze still suggested routes involving tolls. It is starting to look like I'll have to set a midway point in the future, thanks :)
tgp1994

Postby tgp1994 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:59 am

ncc1701v wrote:You just went through the border? How long did it take? I'm guessing Waze 's aversion to Canada is due to the hours it can take to get back into the USA.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

It honestly didn't take more than 20 minutes from the moment we hit stopped traffic waiting to get through. Waze didn't have any traffic delay reports unless it considers the border a permenant delay :P

Come to think of it, isn't it strange that Waze didn't prompt me to submit a traffic report when I was at a standstill?
tgp1994

Postby tgp1994 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:51 am

I remember crossing at least two bridges either on or almost directly after the point at which I crossed into the US... I'm pretty sure it was north of Niagara, on 405.
tgp1994

Previous

Return to Navigation & Routing