why no left turn at intersection

Moderator: Unholy

Re: why no left turn at intersection

Postby sketch » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:42 pm

frf79 wrote:Found another one today. This is a pretty complex intersection. Instead of directing the driver to the 1960 service rd to turn left on to I-45 it directs them under I-45 and uturn them back to I-45. It looks like the issue is at the uturn itself but I am not sure. Let me know what you all think. I cannot edit it due it being lock at rank 5.

https://www.waze.com/editor/?lon=-95.42679&lat=30.02198&zoom=5&layers=TBFTFFTTTTFTTFTTTTTTTTTTT&env=usa

• That U turn should not be allowed. I am disallowing it.
  • Those turn lanes:
    • probably aren't necessary;
    • aren't set properly with respect to type (At-Grade Connectors); and
    • aren't set properly with respect to turn restrictions. Although the allowed right turn in spite of the turn lane from Cypress Creek to North Fwy would indicate that the turn lane is not the problem.
  • It could be that the type of the "Cypress Creek Pkwy" segments is part of the problem. Waze doesn't like using anything lower than Minor Highway in longer routes. It's possible that the routing server is attempting to spend as little time as possible on Primary Streets by sticking to the Minor Highway as much as possible.

Of course, it's always possible that it's simply a question of averages, and that disabling the U turn will solve it.
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
new orleans based • detroit enthusiast • usa country manager
2013 ford focus titanium hatchback 5mt • performance blue
Image Image
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby CBenson » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:55 am

I was routed over three leaves of a clover exchange for the first time in a long time on Tuesday. However, I'm not sure it wasn't the faster route where waze had me do it.

I am seeing a bunch more of the right/Us as well currently. Here is one:
WawaU.png
WawaU.png (318.22 KiB) Viewed 789 times

Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0, Waze 3.9.9.907
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby CBenson » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:25 am

This is different issue, but one that is probably more common. It appears that when waze wants to turn you around (say you've ignored the route and waze recalculates the route, still thinks the old route is better and wants you to go back to it) waze will frequently seek out a dead end to "U-turn" at. I'd restrict the U-turns at the dead end on Hunter Mill (as well as all the other dead ends) as that seems to keep waze from routing like this. There is no really reason to enable the U-turn at a dead end as you never want to route through the U at a dead end unless it is the only option, and waze will route through a turn restriction if there is no other option.
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby CBenson » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:22 pm

These continue to be a problem. Here we have complaints both coming and going.
TradeS.png
TradeS.png (196.47 KiB) Viewed 760 times

TradeN.png
TradeN.png (208.33 KiB) Viewed 759 times
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby sketch » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:18 am

There should probably be something in the routing server to prevent this kind of behavior. I don't know what kind of logic it would have to use to limit it to situations where the left turn is actually legal, though. We can't have the routing server refusing to use any Michigan-style left.
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
new orleans based • detroit enthusiast • usa country manager
2013 ford focus titanium hatchback 5mt • performance blue
Image Image
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby ccdmas » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:08 pm

Here is another slightly different example of what however seems to be the same underlying issue. In this case, Waze wanted me to do a left turn, go straight for a while, do a U-Turn, come back to the very same intersection and do another left.
All that instead of just going straight ahead.

Of course I assumed some editor had disabled the straight "turn" restriction, and checked as soon as I was home a few minutes later, but no. Straight ahead was "green". I also couldn't duplicate the phenomenon on the live map not even 30 Minutes later. I might also add that this was late in the night, where it is rather unlikely that Waze has good reason to have stored a high delay for the straight through at the intersection. Also, there was n ore-routing involved at any point on my whole route, this is what Waze had originally calculated right from the start. And at no time of the day *ever* this suggested route can even remotely be faster than just going straight.

So, either something's going severely wrong at the routing server itself, or something is storing/corrupting invalid speed data for segments or intersections in the waze database. At any rate, waze should seriously look into this ASAP. Such sort of nonsenic misrouting is not helpful to the acceptance of Waze.

Permalink: https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=4&lat ... TTTTFTTTTT

Waze26.jpg
Waze26.jpg (167.79 KiB) Viewed 761 times

CU,
Massimo
ccdmas

Postby CBenson » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:05 pm

CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby mdatcher » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:10 pm

Thanks for mentioning my complaint as well.

Since this issue is causing so many user reports, is there some kind of preferred response to those complaints?
Rank 3 editor
Montgomery County, MD; Washington County, MD; Franklin County, PA
Verizon, Samsung Galaxy S4, Android 4.3, Waze 3.7.7.0
mdatcher
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby CBenson » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:08 pm

Good question. I'm open to suggestions. I've been saying something along the lines of:

It appears that the waze routing algorithm is calculating that on average it is faster to make the right/U than it is to wait for the left turn signal. As this is a routing algorithm issue it can not be changed by the volunteer map editors that review the map update requests. For more information see http://www.waze.com/support.

I also note that I was routed the right/U shown here this again this morning. I took the right/U. It was not faster. There was a long line waiting to make the left, which I entirely bypassed. I made a right on red without delay and made the U with out delay. However, by the time I made it back to the intersection the left turners had the green and I had the red light. All the left turners made it through on that green. Only if you had to wait through more than one light cycle to make the left would the right/U be faster. Either the left turn would have the green when you first approach the intersection or if the left has the red you could make the right/U, but in this instance you hit the red when you get back to the intersection. I don't think waze takes this dynamic into consideration.
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby bz2012 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:22 pm

It amazes me that WAZE is still having these kinds of routing problems, 9 months after this topic was started!

It seriously undermines the trust drivers put in the app.

Someone needs to take a long and serious look at the routing programs and fix this bug.
State Manager, Louisiana
bz2012
Map Raider
Map Raider

PreviousNext

Return to Navigation & Routing