why no left turn at intersection

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: why no left turn at intersection

Postby bz2012 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:32 pm

CBenson wrote:
bz2012 wrote:I don't really think WAZE should EVER route people via a 'U-turn' when there is another way to get there.

Ok, but it seems to me that is an argument for removing the segment as U-turns are its only function.

Yes, but if I remove it, and someone running WAZE uses it, then WAZE will pop up a 'Map Problem' and ask for it to be put in. Someone will come along and put a street there.

THAT is why I prefer to put a 'parking lot road' there.
Then, WAZE will not flag it as a problem when people drive thru it, but it won't route them through it 'unless absolutely necessary.' (like to get to an address on northbound segment.) [at least that is how I understand what would happen. I am pretty sure that NO ONE really KNOWS what WAZE will do, a large portion of the time, because it is rather complex. :) ]
State Manager, Louisiana
bz2012
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby CBenson » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:39 pm

Agreed. Those are the factors to balanced. Although, I don't think waze will route through a parking lot segment to get to an address on the northbound segment. I think waze will just skip the segment and go to the next to make the U-turn. But as you say, we don't really know.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby jemay » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:29 am

I have resolved things like this by rebuilding each junction node (disconnect each segment and create a new junction node (don't drag the old junction back in). After that I never got the u-turn route again...
PLEASE READ: Wiki Resources: FAQ|Map Editor|Best Practices|Editing issues?
Global Champ | Regional Coordinator for US South West - CA,NV,UT,AZ,NM,CO,HI | CM for US

DROID TURBO 2 - Android 6.0 - Verizon - Waze Ver. 4.2.0.1
jemay
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby bz2012 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:43 am

jemay wrote:I have resolved things like this by rebuilding each junction node (disconnect each segment and create a new junction node (don't drag the old junction back in). After that I never got the u-turn route again...

Hmmmm. I'll try that if the problem persists. Thanks for the suggestion!

I have done something similar with junctions that 'have a bad node' that simply refuses to connect.
I use a small temporary segment connected to each segment near the bad node to 'trim off the end' of each segment.
Delete all the cut off ends and temporary segments.
And then connect the 'freshly trimmed ends'.
This has 'fixed' the 'bad node' problem, every time.
State Manager, Louisiana
bz2012
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby CBenson » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:48 am

jemay wrote:I have resolved things like this by rebuilding each junction node (disconnect each segment and create a new junction node (don't drag the old junction back in). After that I never got the u-turn route again...

I suspect you're just destroying the speed data showing the right is significantly faster than the left.
I have one (discussed here) that has been repeatedly torn apart over the past year and put back together by different editors. URs show the intersection will occasionally route right/U again.
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby bz2012 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:05 am

CBenson wrote:

I suspect you're just destroying the speed data showing the right is significantly faster than the left.
I have one (discussed here) that has been repeatedly torn apart over the past year and put back together by different editors. URs show the intersection will occasionally route right/U again.

Interesting discussion.

By the way, the FIRST TIME I clicked on your link it took me to the wrong topic!
viewtopic.php?f=143&t=1702
rather than
viewtopic.php?f=143&t=17026
for some reason! When I tried again, it worked fine.
STRANGE.
State Manager, Louisiana
bz2012
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby CBenson » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:20 am

bz2012 wrote:STRANGE.

Not too strange, it was a cut and paste error that I saw and corrected.
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Levels and ramps and bad routing oh my!

Postby dctdye » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:24 pm

https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=6&lat ... 2,61661253

So the highlighted segments are all set as level -1. I-20/59 is level 1, and Mcfarland is level 0. I'm pretty sure the -1 level is why it told me to go north of the ramp to the little median crossover, turn left and turn left again to get on interstate instead of taking the ramp like any sane person. Before I submit the unlock, I just wanted to confirm that all ramps should be set to level 0 and to see if that should be the routing error.

TIA!
Area Manager- Tuscaloosa/Northport, AL

dctdye

Re: Levels and ramps and bad routing oh my!

Postby CBenson » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:37 pm

I doubt it. There are occasionally reports that changes in things like name or level affect routing and there may be some minor effects. But in general the level should not affect the route.

On the other hand, there have been a large number of reports, many recent, of waze routing straight/U rather than a simple left. I think the issue is that waze knows that there is an average delay to make the left onto the ramp, but as no one passes the ramp to make the u-turn, waze is not accurately guessing how fast the u-turn is.

Waze seems to able to route correctly. So it seems to me to be more likely to be an issue with the speed data than an issue with the levels. However, the levels don't really do much anymore, so I would go ahead and change them and see what happens.
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Re: Levels and ramps and bad routing oh my!

Postby CBenson » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:20 pm

So I happened to refresh the tab with the route open and it gave me the U-turn, when it was giving me the simple left earlier.
MacFarland.jpg
MacFarland.jpg (39.1 KiB) Viewed 2204 times
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Navigation & Routing