Avoid Left Turns onto busy roads

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Avoid Left Turns onto busy roads

Postby davipt » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:29 pm

CBenson wrote:My experience is the opposite. Waze does clearly avoid some left turns. I frequently see URs where wazer indicates a routing problem precisely because waze didn't route through the left turn. I also play along a sit and wait for the gaps to make the turn and waze has learned to avoid the turn when I have done this.

I don't doubt your experience, I'm just curious about real facts and how would the internal algoright know you are turning left or going forward or anything else - the question above - "is there internal values per-node-per-direction-per-segment"?
ImageBruno D. Rodrigues | Global Champ
Coordinator for Portugal | Expert iPhone and others
Forum PT | Wiki PT | Facebook PT | Twitter PT
davipt
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby CBenson » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:30 pm

davipt wrote:
AndyPoms wrote:Waze knows the time to turn at intersections. Adding unnecessary turn lanes overly complicates the map and leads to other routing problems. A CM was recently removed for creating them (among other reasons).

How the heck does Waze know the time to turn? Is there an internal average speed or time value per-node-per-segment-per-direction now? I thought there was only averages per segment... How does it work then?

Yes waze has stated that there is time value per-junction-per-segment-per-direction. Waze has said for quite some time that averages per segment that are available through WME are not the speed values used for the routing calculations.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.1.0.1
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby davipt » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:32 pm

CBenson wrote:Yes waze has stated that there is time value per-junction-per-segment-per-direction. Waze has said for quite some time that averages per segment that are available through WME are not the speed values used for the routing calculations.

Ahhh good to know. Any link at hand for that information? Any idea if it's again something NA only or generic?
ImageBruno D. Rodrigues | Global Champ
Coordinator for Portugal | Expert iPhone and others
Forum PT | Wiki PT | Facebook PT | Twitter PT
davipt
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:43 pm

davipt wrote:How the heck does Waze know the time to turn? Is there an internal average speed or time value per-node-per-segment-per-direction now? I thought there was only averages per segment... How does it work then?

Waze tracks transit time from segment-to-segment (any segment to any segment at any junction) in 10 minute intervals all day long. This infos has been available for quite some time. So, yes, Waze should learn, as long as some people "get stuck" trying to turn a certain way, that it is incredibly slow to do so.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.3.1 | Waze v4.4.9904
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:36 pm

Since this has come up a number of times, I created an entry in the FAQ. If you want to discuss the Wiki entry on this topic please go to this thread in the Wiki forum.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby ChynnaBlue » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:29 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Waze tracks transit time from segment-to-segment (any segment to any segment at any junction) in 10 minute intervals all day long. This infos has been available for quite some time. So, yes, Waze should learn, as long as some people "get stuck" trying to turn a certain way, that it is incredibly slow to do so.

So does that mean we need to get stuck or forced into a dangerous situation in order for it to lean? Isn't there a better way? On my way home from work, Waze wants me to take a route with a stop sign at an unprotected left-hand turn across a busy 4 lane highway with an island between the lanes. I tried it once and ended up turning right and going another way. It could route me another way, but never does.
ChynnaBlue

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:36 pm

In general terms, the answer to your question is "yes." That's how crowdsourced, or any other data-gathering system works. But, you could just restrict the "bad" turn.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.3.1 | Waze v4.4.9904
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby SocalToe » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:18 pm

If in the map editor the allowed turns had some additional functionality....

1. Time restrictions.
2. An indication of turning ease...
A. Allowed but not recommended
B. Normal
C. Best place to turn
Ed
SocalToe

Postby kentsmith9 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:21 am

SocalToe wrote:If in the map editor the allowed turns had some additional functionality....

1. Time restrictions.
2. An indication of turning ease...
A. Allowed but not recommended
B. Normal
C. Best place to turn

Waze is working toward time-based turn restrictions. The other sounds nice, but will be highly subjective to many variables not visible to editors. From prior conversations it is believed that if a turn takes longer than an alternate turn to the same point, Waze will eventually route that faster path. As always drivers need to make best judgment for any maneuver in traffic.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby jonnybignote » Thu May 02, 2013 12:35 am

I have to jump on here and heartily agree that this is sub optimal.

I live in the Los Angeles area - during most times of the day, but most definitely rush hour, it is not possible to make a left turn at a stop sign (no electronic signal) onto, or go straight through a major busy road (think crossing 4 lanes) as Waze constantly has me do.

I can tolerate the idea with a signal, but not where there is no mechanism to stop the traffic I'm trying to turn across.

A quickly accessible option to toggle that on or off (together with highways on or off) would make all the difference.
jonnybignote

PreviousNext

Return to Navigation & Routing