Routing options

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Routing options

Postby a4bolek » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:40 pm

Nils-Arvid wrote:Is there any thought on an environmental friendly option in the calculation of a route?
Very often I make a trip to my familyhouse and i have some options to select from how I can make that trip.
I have tested different routes and the route that most navigators selects is the fastest but also the longest with an extention of approx 20 km but it is only 1 minute faster (following the speeding regulations).
On the longer route I have to have a higer speed with an higer fuel consumtion and that hits the environment and my wallet. I make that trip every 2:nd week so it adds up.

You can see the same suggestions using "Trafikplats Tönnebro, , Sweden" as starting point and "Huskasnäs, Sweden" as destination.

Yes, Waze is in dire need of third routing option. Let's call is Economic, Green or Eco-Friendly. Don't get your hopes too high. It is not going to happen anytime soon.
Hardware:
Nexus 5 KK 4.4.2
HTC One KK 4.4.2
Galaxy Tab 7.7 GT-P6800 JB 4.1.2
Nexus 10 KK 4.4.2
Waze 3.7.8.0
a4bolek

Postby CBenson » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:17 pm

So what route does waze give you if you ask for the shortest route rather than the fastest route?
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Altantic, US
Verizon, Droid Razr Maxx HD, Android 4.1.2, Waze 3.7.9.909
CBenson
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby CBenson » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:17 pm

I can't really test those points as I'm in the United States.

I frequently get a different set of routes depending on whether my settings at Menu>Settings>Navigation>Type is set to "Shortest" rather than "Fastest." So I was wondering whether you might get more "environmentally friendly" routes if you had the setting set to "Shortest."
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Altantic, US
Verizon, Droid Razr Maxx HD, Android 4.1.2, Waze 3.7.9.909
CBenson
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby harling » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:03 pm

IMO Waze may have a hard time discerning whether a slightly longer, higher-speed route (e.g., stay on the highway for a couple more miles), or a shorter, lower-speed route (exit the highway early and take back roads), will yield better fuel economy. Beyond some point, fuel economy decreases as speed increases; but having to stop & start a few times also decreases fuel economy--and both of those factors vary from one vehicle to the next.

We had a similar discussion regarding fuel economy a while ago. Until Waze can integrate with OBD (on-board diagnostics) and get actual fuel consumption statistics for your specific vehicle, however, I would expect any attempt at route selection based on fuel economy to be wrong as often as right.
Area Manager, Eastern MA & Southern NH. Country Manager, USA.
Help wanted. Drop me a line!
Wiki Resources: Area Manager Wiki | Map Editing | Best Practices | Known Issues List
harling
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Routing options

Postby Nils-Arvid » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:47 pm

Is there any thought on an environmental friendly option in the calculation of a route?
Very often I make a trip to my familyhouse and i have some options to select from how I can make that trip.
I have tested different routes and the route that most navigators selects is the fastest but also the longest with an extention of approx 20 km but it is only 1 minute faster (following the speeding regulations).
On the longer route I have to have a higer speed with an higer fuel consumtion and that hits the environment and my wallet. I make that trip every 2:nd week so it adds up.

You can see the same suggestions using "Trafikplats Tönnebro, , Sweden" as starting point and "Huskasnäs, Sweden" as destination.
Nils-Arvid

Postby Nils-Arvid » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:57 pm

CBenson wrote:So what route does waze give you if you ask for the shortest route rather than the fastest route?

It doesn't matter, in this case I always got the fastest route (E4/Rv84/Rv83) but IF I select to see other optional routes I could see that a shorter route is available (Rv83).
If you test to create a route inbetween the points I mentioned earlier You can see what I am talking about.
Nils-Arvid

Return to Navigation & Routing