Not used to editing but would really like a new route added?

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Not used to editing but would really like a new route ad

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:29 pm

Perhaps the UK forum would be a good place to post?
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | Oregon Project/To-Do List
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone5 - VZ - iOS 7.1 | Waze v3.7.9.925
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Re: Not used to editing but would really like a new route ad

Postby iainhouse » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:59 pm

You can't really add a route to Waze, because it doesn't quite work like that. You can make sure all the roads are there, but Waze will then route you based on what it knows about the speeds that it has "seen" on those roads and according to it's algorithms. It's really designed to get you there rather than viwe the scenery. :lol:

Generally speaking, the roads in that area look pretty complete. Most likely, your problem here is that Waze is programmed to prefer major roads for longer journeys. A little way after Kincardine O'Neil, your preferred route leaves the A & B roads and heads off north along an un-named street type. For a route of this length, Waze is unlikely to use street-type segments unless there is no alternative. Even selecting "shortest route" in the preferences won't override the preference for higher road types.

It is possible that the route is "broken" - a missing section or an invalidly restricted turn, but I suspect that this isn't the problem here. Anyway, we have some fairly good editors in that part of the country. :D

Since it's not a short route, the best person to check it is you - given that you know it. I would have to use 2 screens or keep swapping between the Google & Waze maps to be sure I was on course. Start here in the editor and press shift-Z to show all turn restrictions. Then move along "your" route and see if you can see any red arrows or missing segments that might block the route. You can find more UK-specific information in the UK Wiki (link in my signature) and there are links in there to the main Wiki with information on how to use the editor.

If I can be of more help, please post back to this thread, or start a new topic in the UK Forum. I don't live in Scotland, but I visit there every year. From my point of view, the places I visit in the Highlands are remote enough that I don't have this problem - there's generally only 1 route available. :)
UK Country Administrator • AM: London (DELETED), S Wales
Waze 3.7.2 • iPhone 4S (iOS 6.1.3) • Chrome/XP
Community Champ
ImageImage
UK WikiWaze FAQ
My name is Iain and I'm a Wazaholic. I last edited 1 hour ago.
iainhouse

Not used to editing but would really like a new route added?

Postby lizanneleigh » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:53 pm

I like Waze and use it whenever I'm driving in busier areas or around areas I'm not familiar with but I do find that rural Scotland has often not got the route that I want. This weekend I came across one such situation. I found the route to the person I was visiting on Google (though, strangely, it's now offering the main road one instead!) and I'd really like it added as it avoids major towns and roads and makes a slightly shorter (distance-wise), pleasant cross-country route. I've pasted the Google link - is there anyone who is familiar with editing who could add it for me? I drove it back on Sunday but it doesn't seem to have recorded it at all.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=Auc ... &z=9&via=1
lizanneleigh

Return to Navigation & Routing