Wrong Driving Directions (London)  Topic is solved

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Wrong Driving Directions (London)

Postby iainhouse » Tue May 07, 2013 12:14 am

I'm not sure there is a fix at the moment. The station is here on the editor map.

The problem is that, although the station entrance is on the A112 High Rd Leyton, the landmark runs directly alongside the A12. Looking at the available search results in the client:
  • Waze results gives "Leyton Underground Station MI". The pin is outside the existing landmark and nearly touching the A12 in the client.
  • Google doesn't have a match
  • Foursquare has a perfect match for the station entrance
  • Bing doesn't have a match

Note that before I looked at this, the station landmark was just marked "Underground Station", so I cannot explain where that Waze result comes from. But since it's closest to the A12, that means that the "route to closest segment" algorithm Waze uses would navigate to the A12.

I've changed the name of the landmark to "Leyton Underground Station" but I don't think that's going to help. Routing to the centre of the landmark will still be closest to the A12. I could change the landmark to be much smaller & closer to the A112, but that would make it invisible on the client and someone is bound to think it's a mistake and change it back.

I recently suggested that Waze landmarks should have a "navigation point" associated with them, to tell Waze which segment to navigate to for that landmark. Apparently Waze once had this sort of functionality, although it didn't work as intended. It's possible that they may try and do this again - without that type of solution, I don't think there's much we can do. :(
UK Country Administrator • AM: London (DELETED), S Wales
Waze 3.7.2 • iPhone 4S (iOS 6.1.3) • Chrome/XP
Community Champ
ImageImage
UK WikiWaze FAQ
My name is Iain and I'm a Wazaholic. I last edited 1 hour ago.
iainhouse

Re: Wrong Driving Directions (London)  Topic is solved

Postby iainhouse » Tue May 07, 2013 1:37 am

rogermota wrote:Couldn't the landmark be "moved" to the "railway road" or its intersection with the High Road?

Well, as I said, I could do that, but someone would come along, notice that the station landmark doesn't cover the station and "fix" it. Also the landmark wouldn't be visible in the client at all if it wasn't big enough to then be closer to the A12.

The problem is exacerbated because Bing (which is the default POI source for the client) doesn't return a result for Leyton Underground Station. I know how to ask them to move a POI, but not how to persuade them to create one. :lol:

There's another relevant discussion going on in the US forums at the moment that makes some very good points about the difference between POIs and Landmarks. Basically, a landmark is something that is visible to a driver and therefore an aid to navigation (e.g. "turn left at the pub", "about half a mile after the Esso Station"). A POI is a point that you navigate to - and right now, Waze really doesn't have any sort of database for POIs.

There are good arguments for using Bing, Google etc for POI search - not least that (a) it's free and (b) let the search giants do the job of keeping things up-to-date. But when they don't provide a decent answer, Waze isn't (yet) geared up to do it properly.

I will try something, though. As I said the station landmark was originally labelled just "Underground Station". I'll rename it as that, and add a second, very small landmark at the entrance named "Leyton Underground Station", lock it and put a note in the description as to why it's there. That way, the original landmark will be visible on the client map, but you might get a better routing.

Give it a few days for the next update and see how the routing works then.
Community Champ
ImageImage
UK WikiWaze FAQ
iainhouse

Postby iainhouse » Tue May 07, 2013 10:48 pm

My mileage is definitely varying!

In the app, if I search for "Leyton Underground", I get a Waze result called "Leyton Underderground Station, MI" but no Bing result at all.

If I search for "Leyton Underground Station", I get the same Waze result and several Bing results, none of which is correct.

If I search on Bing Maps for "Leyton Underground Station" I get no correct hits, but omitting the word station works. :roll: However, the pushpin isn't like a normal POI pushpin and there seems to be no way to correct it. I suspect that this is because Bing has some extra functionality associated with a station POI.

I'm still very curious as to where that Waze match comes from - it's not from the landmark, because that isn't called "Leyton...".

I'll wait until the next update and try some routing with the new landmark in place. If I'm not happy with it, or there are still choices available that don't work, I'll try your service road. Actually, I just looked at Ladbroke Grove and it look like you only just put that fix in. When I've got some charge back into my phone I'll have a look at the routing now and compare both after an update
Community Champ
ImageImage
UK WikiWaze FAQ
iainhouse

Wrong Driving Directions (London)

Postby rogermota » Mon May 06, 2013 11:33 pm

Had my first incidence of Waze providing crazy wrong directions. Wanted to go from someone's place to drop someone else off at Leyton station. I later found out it's a rather straight-forward 1 mile drive (google maps: http://goo.gl/maps/avKRY) and Waze provided a 3.7 mile route that goes under the station and past it on the motorway. (google maps: http://goo.gl/maps/OBCGf)

I have a suspicion it thinks the station is on the A12 motorway itself (it's above it on the High Road flyover).

If you go to the live map driving directions (https://world.waze.com/livemap) and key in
start: 15 primrose road, E10
end: Leyton Underground Station, United Kingdom

You'll see the crazy suggestions.

Didn't get to mark it as wrong on the app as I was too busy swapping out for another app.
(note I was the co-pilot)

Not sure how to fix this for future users.
rogermota

Postby rogermota » Tue May 07, 2013 1:06 am

Couldn't the landmark be "moved" to the "railway road" or its intersection with the High Road?

I'm assuming all landmarks very close to a major motorway would have the same issue? Seems like a pretty big limitation unless these things are very rare unfortunate coincidences.

Thanks for looking into it, much appreciated :)
rogermota

Postby rogermota » Tue May 07, 2013 9:10 pm

Thanks Ian, that sounds like a sensible solution. I don't suspect I'll be going that way any time soon but I'm sure someone at some point will be happy with a smooth routing to the station :)
rogermota

Postby rogermota » Tue May 07, 2013 11:36 pm

iainhouse wrote:In the app, if I search for "Leyton Underground", I get a Waze result called "Leyton Underderground Station, MI"

If it helps any, that's precisely what I searched for and used for routing. Never had a bad result so didn't think to look at the route nor look for better matches. TIL...
rogermota

Postby Timbones » Tue May 07, 2013 10:17 pm

Waze (currently) uses Bing for address searches, and will return a result when asked for "Leyton Underground". The ping on the map is perhaps a little closer to A12 than it is the A112. Three possible fixes:

1. move the marker in Bing closer to the A112 (might not happen / remain)
2. put a small Service Road from the A112 towards the station. Leave it unterminated for optimal instructions.
3. both

:ugeek:

PS: Ladbroke Grove Underground suffers from the same problem.
Timbones(6) • UK Country Admin & Coordinator • Forum Moderator • Beta Editor and Routing Expert
Scripts: WME Colour Highlights v1.8 (Feb 2014)WME Route Tester
Timbones
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Return to Navigation & Routing