Wrong location (Portland, OR)

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Wrong location (Portland, OR)

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Sun May 12, 2013 10:12 pm

bateau wrote:Related question - can one rearrange search result icons in the app? I often look for business names and have to look on Yelp/Bing/Foursquare tabs.

Nope. When we get proper POI mgmt within Waze we can do a better job all around than the "other guys." :)
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | Oregon Project/To-Do List
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone5 - VZ - iOS 7.0.6 | Waze v3.7.9.992
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AndyPoms » Thu May 09, 2013 10:54 am

Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AndyPoms » Sat May 11, 2013 6:34 pm

bateau wrote:I ran into the same issue by routing to a Yelp result. The address on the POI is correct. If you type that address into Waze, it takes you to the correct location. If you navigate to the POI from Bing it sends you to a different place one mile away. This doesn't look like a GPS coordinate problem since routing to street address works.

Have you checked the Yelp website? If the results came from the Yelp tab, Waze is getting the GPS Coordinates from Yelp, not Bing.

Address lookup comes from Bing, POI lookup comes directly from the individual search providers (GPS Coordinates, not addresses).
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby bateau » Sat May 11, 2013 4:28 pm

I ran into the same issue by routing to a Yelp result. The address on the POI is correct. If you type that address into Waze, it takes you to the correct location. If you navigate to the POI from Bing it sends you to a different place one mile away. This doesn't look like a GPS coordinate problem since routing to street address works.
bateau

Postby bateau » Sun May 12, 2013 1:48 pm

AndyPoms wrote:Have you checked the Yelp website?

Bingo! Yelp has correct address, but wrong map position. If I look at the map on their website the business is in the wrong place. Bing, on the other hand, has both correct address and coordinates.

Related question - can one rearrange search result icons in the app? I often look for business names and have to look on Yelp/Bing/Foursquare tabs.
bateau

Wrong location (Portland, OR)

Postby RadicalDad » Thu May 09, 2013 10:30 am

I don’t think this can be solved by the online map editor.

I entered “Island Cafe, Portland” (Oregon) into Waze. It correctly reports the address as 250 NE Tomahawk Island Drive, Portland, OR. However, when you ask for directions, you are guided to Riverplace Marina in downtown Portland, about 6 miles away from the real location of Island Cafe. Somehow this business has been linked to the wrong location, even though the address Waze shows is correct. Entering the address without the business name results in correct navigation.

Suspicious conspiracy theory or honest mistake? I know of only two restaurants in Portland that that are located on floating docks. Island Cafe is one of them. The faulty directions take you to the OTHER one at Riverplace Marina. That has to be more than just a coincidence.

How is this even possible? Why doesn’t Waze use the address it has for this business?
RadicalDad

Return to Navigation & Routing