Unable to route from North Carolina to Massachusetts  Topic is solved

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Unable to route from North Carolina to Massachusetts

Postby AndyPoms » Thu May 16, 2013 12:54 am

I just checked the CT Highways on the live map & I can cross from NY to RI (I-95), NY to MA (I-84) and NY to MA (I-95 to I-91). I've also routed them in real life several times and they work.
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby CBenson » Wed May 15, 2013 8:00 pm

I can reproduce this problem on the livemap (although it sporadically returns "could not find route" for Norwalk and even Stamford for me, but Bridgeport is a consistent "could not find route" from the generic "North Carolina" as starting point). However, waze is currently giving me a route in the app. I'm not sure why the difference.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Altantic, US
Verizon, Droid Razr Maxx HD, Android 4.1.2, Waze 3.7.9.909
CBenson
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby CBenson » Thu May 16, 2013 12:47 am

I can route from NY city to any of these locations. So it doesn't seem to be a map error. It seems to be a routing algorithm issue. It might be related to road types, but there is a beta livemap that is intended to avoid this problem and it also can't find the same routes.
I can also route from North Carolina to Springfield, MA on my phone.
CBenson
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby CBenson » Thu May 16, 2013 3:49 pm

CBenson wrote:It might be related to road types, but there is a beta livemap that is intended to avoid this problem and it also can't find the same routes.
I can also route from North Carolina to Springfield, MA on my phone.

I was confused as to when I was accessing the beta-router designed to avoid road type routing problems and when I was not. It seems likely to me at this point that this is a road type long distance routing issue.

Riamus wrote:My guess is that it will relate to which roads it wants to route over, so it may or may not work depending on starting point. If you were to get somewhere that overlaps the suggested route from Allentown, PA to Springfield, MA, can you route it? That is if you're not too far away to do so, of course. I think it will fail if you are at a point that would use the same route that I'm trying to use. I'm just not sure. I really need to route there in a couple of weeks and this is going to be a problem. I would rather use Waze than Google on the trip.

Waze is testing solutions for the problem, but it seems unlikely to me that routing will change for you in the next couple of weeks.

Riamus wrote:I'm not sure if this is a routing engine problem or a problem with the roads, but I can route all over as long as I avoid SW Connecticut. For example, I can route to northern Michigan, which is a longer route. I can also route to NW Massachusetts, which bypasses CT.

It is a problem with how the routing engine considers road types in calculating long routes. Thus in theory, it could be solved either by changing the routing engine or by changing how we as editors type the roads. Waze wants to solve the issue by changing the routing engine and thus has asked us not to change the road types to address this issue.

Riamus wrote:That said, it does appear that there is still a limit on how far you can route. I can route somewhat over 1000 miles (Oklahoma City, OK or Houston, TX), but I can't route all the way to CA or even to CO.

I think the limit is 1000 miles as the crow flies between start point and destination. But routes over 1000 miles can be generated.
CBenson
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby CBenson » Thu May 16, 2013 9:00 pm

My understanding is that it would overtax the processing resources to consider every possible route between the start point and the destination. Thus, waze only considers primary roads in the middle of long routes to make the processing time reasonable. What makes a road non-primary resulting in it being culled from consideration in the middle of a long route at this time seems to be the road type designation. At one time waze posted the following regarding routing penalties:
Long Distances:

0-15 km - All road types are allows for routing.
15-20 km - All road types except Streets.
20-30 km - All road types except Streets and Primary streets.
30-200 km - Only Minor, Major, and Freeways.
more than 200 km - only Freeways.

This was never crystal clear and I think there have been changes, but there are certainly issues with waze not being able to route directly from point A to point B, when point A and point B are far apart and not directly connected by roads designated as a freeway on the waze map. A need to traverse primary streets or regular streets in the middle of long routes can cause problems. I agree that the routes you are looking for should be interstate/freeway almost the entire way, but sometimes its only a few non freeway segments that cause the problems. The symptoms of this problem are exactly what you are experiencing, you can route each leg of the trip with waze just fine, but waze won't route the entire trip. In an effort to solve this problem, Waze is working to adjust how they identify primary roads so that the road type is not the only consideration .
CBenson
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby CBenson » Fri May 17, 2013 1:02 am

Riamus wrote:Ok, thanks for the explanation. That makes sense, though Waze should really be designed to be able to fall back on other road types if there isn't a connection.

True. Usually the problem isn't that waze won't return a route at all, but rather that waze routes well out the way to stay on the interstate. I'm not sure why waze can't route to Boston, there has to be interstates from DC to Boston.

Riamus wrote: Oh well, I guess I don't have any options. I was hoping to use the "pick up" option so those I'm visiting can get an ETA.

Note that you can use the send option to share your drive if you don't need to get the destination location from the person that you are providing the ETA.
CBenson
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Re: Unable to route from North Carolina to Massachusetts  Topic is solved

Postby CBenson » Fri May 17, 2013 4:37 pm

I'd like to confirm exactly what's different between the circumstance where a route is returned and where it isn't. Could you confirm that under your navigation settings that "Avoid toll roads" and "Avoid major highways" are not checked and that "Type" is set to fastest (I also have "Dirt roads" set to don't allow, but don't think that should make a difference here)?
CBenson
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Unable to route from North Carolina to Massachusetts

Postby Riamus » Wed May 15, 2013 1:05 pm

Whenever I try to route from North Carolina to Massachusetts using either the Android app or the Live Map, it is unable to find a route from North Carolina to Massachusetts. I saw a post at one point here saying there was a 1000 mile limit (not sure if that's still the case), but this is only about 700 miles. I'm guessing some road somewhere is messed up. Is there any way to easily find where it is failing without checking a bunch of different locations to find where routing stops? If you check on Google's maps, it provides 3 routes and the one I am really interested is goes up I-81 to avoid going through or right around DC as that's often a hassle. It's a longer route, but worth not having to sit in traffic.

If checking routing to a lot of locations along the way until you find where routing stops is the only option, I'll do that. But if there's some faster method, I'd appreciate any help. For now, just a route between the states without worrying about address should be enough as the result is the same no matter what address I enter. Note that I also tried NC to NY and NC to NJ and those failed as well. Thanks.
ImageImage
Area Manager: Michigan - Northern LP.
Waze running on Samsung Galaxy S3.
Riamus

Postby Riamus » Wed May 15, 2013 1:27 pm

After posting, I just felt like testing some more (using the Live Map for ease) and found that I can route as far as around Norwalk, CT. I cannot route to the nearby Fairfield, CT or Bridgeport, CT. Note that I'm just going city to city right now instead of actual addresses, though I tried exact street addresses as well. Further testing to see if it's a distance thing was a test from Allentown, PA to Bridgeport, CT. That also failed. It seems to be some problem in Connecticut. As a note, I *can* route from Norwalk, CT to Bridgeport, CT.

Also, if I bypass Connecticut by choosing a location that wouldn't route through CT, it works. Example: NC to Stockbridge, MA. That seems to definitely indicate a problem somewhere in southwest Connecticut.

If anyone has a way to find the exact problem, let me know. I'll try to narrow this down further, but at this point, it may be difficult to get much closer.
ImageImage
Riamus

Postby Riamus » Wed May 15, 2013 10:10 pm

Hm. I seem to be able to route to Bridgeport on the phone (I hadn't tried the various routing from the phone when I was doing the testing earlier). However, if I enter a place in Massachusetts, such as Springfield, MA, it will not route there on the phone. I think there is still something wrong in Connecticut. Perhaps the Live Map routing and the client routing are slightly different so one will manage to route and the other won't to Bridgeport, but to get into MA, both route through the same problem and so can't get there? Should I ask in the CT forum to see if someone in CT can look over the routing problem?
ImageImage
Riamus

Next

Return to Navigation & Routing