Unable to route from North Carolina to Massachusetts  Topic is solved

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Unable to route from North Carolina to Massachusetts

Postby Riamus » Thu May 16, 2013 10:24 am

My guess is that it will relate to which roads it wants to route over, so it may or may not work depending on starting point. If you were to get somewhere that overlaps the suggested route from Allentown, PA to Springfield, MA, can you route it? That is if you're not too far away to do so, of course. I think it will fail if you are at a point that would use the same route that I'm trying to use. I'm just not sure. I really need to route there in a couple of weeks and this is going to be a problem. I would rather use Waze than Google on the trip.

Just to get a more specific routing than an entire state, you can use Greensboro, NC to Springfield, MA. I prefer not posting exact addresses or cities where I am at online, but routing between those two locations will use the same route I'd be using. That may offer a better testing experience than using the enter state as the starting point. I also tried other places in MA that route through CT, such as Boston, Worcester, and Salem. They all fail to find a route.

I'm not sure if this is a routing engine problem or a problem with the roads, but I can route all over as long as I avoid SW Connecticut. For example, I can route to northern Michigan, which is a longer route. I can also route to NW Massachusetts, which bypasses CT. That said, it does appear that there is still a limit on how far you can route. I can route somewhat over 1000 miles (Oklahoma City, OK or Houston, TX), but I can't route all the way to CA or even to CO.
ImageImage
Area Manager: Michigan - Northern LP.
Waze running on Samsung Galaxy S3.
Riamus

Postby Riamus » Thu May 16, 2013 6:32 pm

Could you explain what you mean regarding road type long distance routing? What is different between that and counting the mileage from point A to point B to determine what is too long? Are there different lengths of roads you can be on based on type? If so, what might those be and why would they be different? I mean, if I have to drive 500 miles on a highway or 500 miles on a secondary road, the routing shouldn't be affected all that much. And if anything, it should be easier to route a long highway trip such as this would be than to route a long trip using secondary roads due to fewer roads involved. I'm just wondering how that works.

Also, that seems a little strange as well because routing from Allentown, PA to Bridgeport, CT also fails. If I can route 1100 miles in almost any direction, why wouldn't I be able to route a couple hundred miles? Are the road types in CT set up to be nothing but Parking Lot Roads and Ramps? I know they aren't; I'm just wondering how the route taken wouldn't work there if I can route further in other directions. It should be interstate almost the entire way, or at least US Routes with maybe a few State Routes thrown in. Almost no side streets except at the beginning and end of the route.
ImageImage
Riamus

Postby Riamus » Thu May 16, 2013 10:19 pm

Ok, thanks for the explanation. That makes sense, though Waze should really be designed to be able to fall back on other road types if there isn't a connection. Oh well, I guess I don't have any options. I was hoping to use the "pick up" option so those I'm visiting can get an ETA.
ImageImage
Riamus

Postby Riamus » Fri May 17, 2013 10:15 am

Thanks. Yeah, I'll probably send it once I get past the problem in CT. But by that time, I am most of the way there. Oh well. It won't be the only time I drive up there. Maybe when I go next year, Waze will find the route. :)
ImageImage
Riamus

Postby Riamus » Fri May 17, 2013 5:01 pm

That was it! I had avoid toll roads marked. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to want to give me any alternate routes... routing server timeout error. So it wants to take me the route I really don't want to go. And it's strange that if I put in a stop in somewhere like Hagerstown, MD (it would keep me from going through DC), it shows the stop as a flag, but the route never changes. Am I doing something wrong, or will I just have to ignore the directions as I drive until it finally changes to the route I want?
ImageImage
Riamus

Previous

Return to Navigation & Routing