Question regarding an address across a median in Fairfax VA

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Question regarding an address across a median in Fairfax

Postby orbitc » Wed May 15, 2013 9:51 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
CBenson wrote:Doesn't look like too many to me here. But that is a subjective call.

Now that I've gotten a look at this, I don't think it needs to be split either.

One of my first suggestion was: to put a parking lot road
Regional Coordinator for Northeast (DE, NJ, NY, PA) & New England (CT, ME, MA, NH, RI, VT)
• ßeta Tester
• iOS ßeta: Always the latest version
• WME ßeta

WME | USA | MapRaid!
orbitc
Master Raider
Master Raider

Postby txemt » Wed May 15, 2013 9:58 pm

I understand that the median doesn't fit the rules of the Wiki, but I think there needs to be an exception for these two streets. If Waze is saying "turn left" and the driver can't, cuz of a median, I'm all for splitting it. I looked up and down both roads and think that may be the best option, as opposed to a parking lot road, which will then be a wrong representation of what truly exists.
Just wazeting my time to help you waze your route smoothly.
txemt
Area Manager
Area Manager

Question regarding an address across a median in Fairfax VA

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Wed May 15, 2013 11:56 pm

txemt wrote:I looked up and down both roads and think that may be the best option, as opposed to a parking lot road, which will then be a wrong representation of what truly exists.

How do they turn off the street if there isn't a parking lot? If there is, then the proper way to be routed is from the other direction and that can be easily accomplished with turn restrictions.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.3.2 | Waze v4.7.0.1
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby mysticcobra » Thu May 16, 2013 12:42 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
txemt wrote:I looked up and down both roads and think that may be the best option, as opposed to a parking lot road, which will then be a wrong representation of what truly exists.

How do they turn off the street if there isn't a parking lot? If there is, then the proper way to be routed is from the other direction and that can be easily accomplished with turn restrictions.

I'm confused by your response. There are thousands of businesses on a road with no parking lot road into the parking lot. When you get to the address on the main road, you've arrived. But in this case the business is on the left on the other side of a median.
Turn restrictions are in place at the intersections. Can turn restrictions be placed on a segment of road? Maybe that's why I'm confused.
Waze told me I was there when I was going NE on Lee Hwy and the business was on the left. I would still have to go up to the next intersection and make a U-turn (assuming its allowed) and then come back. In this case it's easy to do but my point is that it affects other areas as well. All of Lee Hwy isn't divided by a median but it is through here.
Jimmy
Samsung Galaxy S4-Android 4.3, Waze 3.8.7.0
Northern VA
mysticcobra

Postby txemt » Thu May 16, 2013 8:10 pm

That's why I was advocating it to be split. On top of that, you were pulling into a gas station, which doesn't need a parking lot road through it, as long as there's a gas station landmark.
Just wazeting my time to help you waze your route smoothly.
txemt
Area Manager
Area Manager

Previous

Return to Navigation & Routing