Waze thinks we all live in alleys

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Waze thinks we all live in alleys

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:40 am

riveraj23 wrote:Well its been over 10 days and no update... Waze any comments?

What answer are you waiting for which isn't already answered by the FAQ and the House Numbers wiki documentation? Please make sure to read those. (Though I'm also pretty sure the answer is also in this thread.)
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | Oregon Project/To-Do List
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone5 - VZ - iOS 7.0.6 | Waze v3.7.9.992
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Waze thinks we all live in alleys

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:20 pm

jhuddle55 wrote:Spot on riveraj23. One would think a waze "champ" would be more than willing to foster the community rather than attack a noob.

"Attack a noob"?! All I did was ask 'what question was waiting to be answered.' That's it. Then riveraj23 goes on a tirade because I dared to ask for clarification on what the question was. How dare someone ask for clarification before trying to respond.

Address location and how Waze receives/uses that location in routing are known and possible remedies and caveats are well-documented in the FAQ and wiki, and this thread already contained most of the the required information, including a recap from the important part of the FAQ from riveraj23. Until the next post by riveraj23, I wasn't aware there was any outstanding question.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | Oregon Project/To-Do List
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone5 - VZ - iOS 7.0.6 | Waze v3.7.9.992
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AndyPoms » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:29 pm

Riveraj23 - you do realize that you are accusing a "Waze Champ", "Forum Moderator" (and probably an Forum Admin at that), and "USA Country Manager" of being a Troll, right? Alan also has almost 15,000 posts (and zero warnings), is a Level 6 editor, and has hundreds of thousands of edits to his credit. Not cool.

If you actually read the documentation you were pointed to, you would have seen:
House numbers in WME wrote:As of March 31, 2013, the Waze app and website address search mechanism does not use the internal house numbers and relies on external data sources.
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AndyPoms » Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:28 pm

Clearly you still haven't read the FAQ - which was the FIRST response you got (before you got into it with Alan).

It explains how Waze does searches. When searching for an address, Waze passes the address to Bing (in the US), gets the GPS coordinates of where Bing Locates that address and then navigates to that location.

What you're not understanding is that while Bing uses NavTeq and/or TeleAtlas - those data providers do not update their information to their clients (i.e. Bing) in real time - it can take a long time (months or more) for that data to be provided downstream. Waze does not get any data directly from NavTeq or TeleAtlas.

The Waze staff does not (for the most part) monitor the forums - they depend on the "Champs" to bring new issues to them. This is not a new issue, it's not even really an issue, it's just that you didn't understand the information that was provided to you.
USA Country Manager
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AndyPoms » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:11 pm

jhuddle55 wrote:Spot on riveraj23. One would think a waze "champ" would be more than willing to foster the community rather than attack a noob. What makes waze great is the community, by reporting issues on the roads we all benefit. By reporting issues in the app we all benefit. Showing one's "superior" knowledge does not help the community. A champ, and moderator should never respond with anything close to "RTFM". You don't need to inform me there is a manual, more than likely I have already searched for the answer, and not found one, which is why I have turned to the forum. If you don't have the time or desire to answer my question than simply move on and don't respond. Better yet answer it in a polite manor which make me want to sing the praises of this great app and community.

Please refer to the General forum guidelines which clearly state
  1. Almost every question which can be asked about the Waze app and the Waze Map Editor has already been asked, so the answer is likely already covered in the wiki documentation.
  2. Read the FAQ to ensure your questions isn't answered there
  3. Search using the Quick Help tool on the Support page
  4. Search the forums, both internal and using Google site-search
  5. Search the wiki (Newer information, especially when new versions of the editor or app are released, may only be found in the forums initially, but will eventually make it into the wiki.)
and
If you ask a question that is clearly covered in the FAQ, your thread will likely be closed with only a "Please read the FAQ" response.

The senior users (Champs and Non-Champs alike) have much more important things to do (like helping set mapping policy and making sure the maps are up-to-date on those guidelines) than answering the same question over and over and over again - that's why we wrote the FAQ and other documentation. If you were to search the forum for this question, you'll see that this exact question has been explained in great detail several times.

On a side note, do you really think that your post was a good way to introduce yourself to the community?

Before this devolves further into personal attacks, I'm locking this thread.
USA Country Manager
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby bigbear3764 » Sun May 19, 2013 7:09 am

Been doing it in Chicago for as long as I have been here. In the FAQ section, there is an answer of why Waze sends you to the wrong location. Basically it is because Bing (in the US) has the address marker set back on the property so that the pin location is closer to the alley than the street. Waze has a new address marker system in place, just not pulling address searches from it yet.

Edit: http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Map_ ... ocation.3F

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AM Chicagoland Area
CM North America
ILL Wiki
ILL To-Do
bigbear3764
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor

Postby goimir » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:35 am

OMG this, so much this! I first learned of the problem when I drove down a blind alley with a nasty 90 degree turn in a bucket truck. Took me 10 minutes to get out of there, and I ended up using someone's driveway. My phone almost went out the window that day.
goimir

Postby jasonh300 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:03 am

If nobody parks in the alley or uses the rear entrance, it probably doesn't need to be on the map. We had some local garbage alleys, used only by garbage trucks and utility workers and they generated a lot of URs. I removed all of them a year and a half ago and haven't seen a problem since. YMMV.

Via my iPhone 4S.
New Orleans, Louisiana
Regional Coordinator, South-Central Region
Waze FAQ ... Best Map Editing Practice ... Waze chat on IRC.
jasonh300
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby jasonh300 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:19 am

Updating through the third party websites isn't a good option for two reasons. First, you'd have to update hundreds of address pins for the fix to be effective. Second, there's a review process for each update, which may not happen for months, and if moving the pins are only beneficial for Waze purposes, but not for the other subscribers, it's never going to happen.

Yes, it's a good idea to update the internal Waze addresses, but as of now, those addresses aren't even referenced. It should work sometime in the distant future though.

The only real option right now is to remove the alleys, but only if routing to them is undesirable 100% of the time, like the example I posted above.

Via my iPhone 4S.
New Orleans, Louisiana
jasonh300
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby jasonh300 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:03 pm

I believe I gave all the possible options in this post: viewtopic.php?p=455354#p455354
New Orleans, Louisiana
jasonh300
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Next

Return to Navigation & Routing