Waze thinks we all live in alleys

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:20 pm

jhuddle55 wrote:Spot on riveraj23. One would think a waze "champ" would be more than willing to foster the community rather than attack a noob.

"Attack a noob"?! All I did was ask 'what question was waiting to be answered.' That's it. Then riveraj23 goes on a tirade because I dared to ask for clarification on what the question was. How dare someone ask for clarification before trying to respond.

Address location and how Waze receives/uses that location in routing are known and possible remedies and caveats are well-documented in the FAQ and wiki, and this thread already contained most of the the required information, including a recap from the important part of the FAQ from riveraj23. Until the next post by riveraj23, I wasn't aware there was any outstanding question.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby sangarts » Sun May 19, 2013 4:55 am

A few updates ago, waze suddenly started sending me to the alley behind every residential address I drove to. Example: Say I want to visit a friend at 12345 Sesame Street Lane. Waze has me drive PAST the actual address or turn early to "turn right at alley" and when BEHIND the actual home reports "you have reached your destination". INFURIATING. I drive to a lot of new addresses and this is not something I can fix on the map editor. I've contacted waze and have heard no response. Is anyone else having this problem in Chicago or anyplace else?
sangarts

Re: Waze thinks we all live in alleys

Postby AndyPoms » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:11 pm

jhuddle55 wrote:Spot on riveraj23. One would think a waze "champ" would be more than willing to foster the community rather than attack a noob. What makes waze great is the community, by reporting issues on the roads we all benefit. By reporting issues in the app we all benefit. Showing one's "superior" knowledge does not help the community. A champ, and moderator should never respond with anything close to "RTFM". You don't need to inform me there is a manual, more than likely I have already searched for the answer, and not found one, which is why I have turned to the forum. If you don't have the time or desire to answer my question than simply move on and don't respond. Better yet answer it in a polite manor which make me want to sing the praises of this great app and community.

Please refer to the General forum guidelines which clearly state
  1. Almost every question which can be asked about the Waze app and the Waze Map Editor has already been asked, so the answer is likely already covered in the wiki documentation.
  2. Read the FAQ to ensure your questions isn't answered there
  3. Search using the Quick Help tool on the Support page
  4. Search the forums, both internal and using Google site-search
  5. Search the wiki (Newer information, especially when new versions of the editor or app are released, may only be found in the forums initially, but will eventually make it into the wiki.)
and
If you ask a question that is clearly covered in the FAQ, your thread will likely be closed with only a "Please read the FAQ" response.

The senior users (Champs and Non-Champs alike) have much more important things to do (like helping set mapping policy and making sure the maps are up-to-date on those guidelines) than answering the same question over and over and over again - that's why we wrote the FAQ and other documentation. If you were to search the forum for this question, you'll see that this exact question has been explained in great detail several times.

On a side note, do you really think that your post was a good way to introduce yourself to the community?

Before this devolves further into personal attacks, I'm locking this thread.
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Kuhlkatz » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:56 pm

jhuddle55 wrote:Spot on riveraj23. One would think a waze "champ" would be more than willing to foster the community rather than attack a noob.

jhuddle55, I think you need to actually read the thread before adding your 2c. In my opinion, I'm not 100% sure how Alan's response below can be considered an 'attack'..
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:What answer are you waiting for which isn't already answered by the FAQ and the House Numbers wiki documentation? Please make sure to read those. (Though I'm also pretty sure the answer is also in this thread.)

If you actually did read the thread, you should have noticed that relevant answers were provided in multiple posts, so I'm just wondering aloud here how many times do one actually need to provide an answer before it's considered 'helpful' ?
jhuddle55 wrote:A champ, and moderator should never respond with anything close to "RTFM". You don't need to inform me there is a manual, more than likely I have already searched for the answer, and not found one, which is why I have turned to the forum.

In this case, there are certain accepted 'rules' for editing, which changes based on where you are located, so it's considered your DUTY as an editor to familiarize yourself with said 'manual'.
Besides that, it also acts as a reference to a) make your life easier, and b) to ensure you do not ruin the maps for everyone else by NOT following acceptable standard editing practices.

I thought the idea of the Wiki is to be a reference for all, so instead of reposting the same lengthy answers 100's of times over in the forums, show the users over to the Wiki where they can actually read the stuff themselves, and NOTE it.
You know, teach a man to fish... ? Teach a man to RTFM... ? Same thing as far as editing is concerned.

As far as my own 'expand your horizon' reference : The other quoted announcement on Google Search implementation does also indicate the following :
shirlig wrote:We'll start by enabling it first for 10% of the users in the N.A server and gradually it will be enabled for everyone.
There is no way of telling if he is one of the 10% or not, as it could also be affecting his/her results if he/she is. I can see results for Addresses outside of US that would previously NOT have returned anything, so it could be a wider audience already.

What is the use of people providing relevant links and answers if you STILL have to end up spoonfeeding the 'readers' ?
Who should actually give up in this case - dedicated community members that volunteer their free time to assist by providing answers that are flatly ignored, or the people that do not READ the stuff that is provided ?
Kuhlkatz
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby jhuddle55 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:07 pm

Spot on riveraj23. One would think a waze "champ" would be more than willing to foster the community rather than attack a noob. What makes waze great is the community, by reporting issues on the roads we all benefit. By reporting issues in the app we all benefit. Showing one's "superior" knowledge does not help the community. A champ, and moderator should never respond with anything close to "RTFM". You don't need to inform me there is a manual, more than likely I have already searched for the answer, and not found one, which is why I have turned to the forum. If you don't have the time or desire to answer my question than simply move on and don't respond. Better yet answer it in a polite manor which make me want to sing the praises of this great app and community.
jhuddle55

Postby l0gic23 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:46 pm

Okay... if i didn't understand the info provided to me it does not give an excuse for a champ moderator etc to be a ass. Pointing out what is obvious to you should be done without any extra bit of helpfulness. Expressing that i must not have attempted to weed out the correct answer and refusing to acknowledge that there is out of date info scattered is just immature.

I would not want either of you to represent a company i owned or worked for. I don't question your ability to be correct, but clearly you lack the abilities that a front line minimum wage call center employee in a 3rd world country has...

Thanks for pointing out what I may have missed or misunderstood. I now have the correct answer, and my take away is to care far less about the success of Waze as it is today and to hope that Google shakes things up.

I've learned here... I hope you choose to see that the experience provided was not necessary and if you were employed, you and the other would be reprimanded.
l0gic23

Postby AndyPoms » Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:28 pm

Clearly you still haven't read the FAQ - which was the FIRST response you got (before you got into it with Alan).

It explains how Waze does searches. When searching for an address, Waze passes the address to Bing (in the US), gets the GPS coordinates of where Bing Locates that address and then navigates to that location.

What you're not understanding is that while Bing uses NavTeq and/or TeleAtlas - those data providers do not update their information to their clients (i.e. Bing) in real time - it can take a long time (months or more) for that data to be provided downstream. Waze does not get any data directly from NavTeq or TeleAtlas.

The Waze staff does not (for the most part) monitor the forums - they depend on the "Champs" to bring new issues to them. This is not a new issue, it's not even really an issue, it's just that you didn't understand the information that was provided to you.
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby l0gic23 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:44 pm

@Andypoms: Thanks for a constructive post... well mostly.

I did "actually" read the info provided... there is a lot to take in and unfortunately there are conflicting data sources - likely old ones that were not updated...

I did read the applicable portion but I guess that got lost in the mist. My apologies for not being as awesome as you and others. Why do people here need to indicate that others who clearly have read have not... You could have been humble and said, you must have missed this or found something old, instead you opted to be abrasive... although not as bad as others...

Why should I care about offending him? He didn't care about offending me. I guess I should not have figured this community would somehow be better then others...

As a forum admin, you should maybe consider yourself a form of customer service... if you do, you should look into "soft skills training".

Oh and... a helpful response could have been, thanks for updating the external sources. They probably accepted your updates by now (they did), Waze takes "n" Years|months|etc to download and use the updates from the external sources...

I bet a Waze employee could have come up with that... that's who the post was to... it could have been ignored by everyone else... its not like I really expected a comment from waze anyway...

Amazon should have bought waze... not google... then maybe Customer Service would be provided... we can't all be experts on ever single app/software created. Sorry for presuming that the forms were not just for those who hang hear daily.

Thanks for pointing me back to the applicable point. I hope you take action to influence update to all other Waze wiki/forum threads on the subject such that the next newb does not ask this question and have this experience.
l0gic23

Postby AndyPoms » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:29 pm

Riveraj23 - you do realize that you are accusing a "Waze Champ", "Forum Moderator" (and probably an Forum Admin at that), and "USA Country Manager" of being a Troll, right? Alan also has almost 15,000 posts (and zero warnings), is a Level 6 editor, and has hundreds of thousands of edits to his credit. Not cool.

If you actually read the documentation you were pointed to, you would have seen:
House numbers in WME wrote:As of March 31, 2013, the Waze app and website address search mechanism does not use the internal house numbers and relies on external data sources.
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby l0gic23 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:35 pm

Maybe you should expand your horizon... clearly i presented some artifacts of research though not all... oh and that post was from June 16th... really? How much research should someone have to do over and over as things may change... get a life.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=52347
For address search, we also compare the external provider (Bing and now Google) to Waze geocoding results, to give the most updated entries.

Yes, its my presumption that my updates would be the most updated... but who knows, the ever glowing eye of Google may see more and know more and always be up to date.

I read somewhere else (forum or wiki) that the geo coding map updates and specifically the address placements take 10 days to have effect. Maybe that info was wrong and I should not have trusted some other Waze forum/wiki God with many posts and thanks speaking for a company he likely didn't work for.

Or maybe I simply misunderstood the product of my research.

Maybe this guy is not a troll... maybe he was just having a bad day. either way, his comment was not helpful, provided no substance and at best was snarkey or assholish.

The comment saying... waze does nothing with this info and not providing reference didn't add much to the discussion but still more then others... It seems everyone on this forum knows more then the last guy and makes statements that everyone should believe, until someone else states the opposite... Its the main reason why this type of "support" is not..

maybe waze should lock the tread as the quality of who is posting here is not high caliber and does not serve to expand the community... There was much more constructive ways you guys could have responded but instead... you wanted to flex your muscle... maybe your the community neighborhood watch looking to keep the non-originals outside of your turf...

sigh... I'm done here
l0gic23

Next

Return to Navigation & Routing