Wrong language using voice navigation

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Wrong language using voice navigation

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Mon May 20, 2013 5:15 pm

Take a screenshot and post it. Also, your country controls whether voice commands work, not language selected in Waze.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | Oregon Project/To-Do List
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone5 - VZ - iOS 7.0.6 | Waze v3.7.9.992
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:07 am

IngomarL wrote:Though I set all language settings I can find in the app to English (menues, TTS), voice commands will still ask me in Portuguese (the equivalent of "How can I help you?" etc.) and expects answers in Portuguese as well. TTS etc are all in English, just as I had put it.

Hmmm. That's really odd. I don't use Waze in anything other than English, so... It could be that the other prompts are based on your geographic location. Waze is known to have a preferred language per country.

You may want to visit the Brazil forums area (under Country/Language forums) and ask this question of your local users. When you find out the answer, could you post it back here?
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | Oregon Project/To-Do List
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone5 - VZ - iOS 7.0.6 | Waze v3.7.9.992
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby IngomarL » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:59 pm

Hi there

I think I have a similar problem here in Brazil.

I use a European Samsung with Android 4.1 in German, bought in Vienna/Austria. I am using waze mostly in Brazil.

Though I set all language settings I can find in the app to English (menues, TTS), voice commands will still ask me in Portuguese (the equivalent of "How can I help you?" etc.) and expects answers in Portuguese as well. TTS etc are all in English, just as I had put it.

As a matter of curiosity, and as I do not like to look like an idiot in front of my app, I wonder if anyone can inform me about the possible reason for this strange behaviour. I do use waze outside of Brazil quite a lot as well, but have to acknowledge that I have either not noticed this problem or its possible automatic solution until now.

Thanks
Ingo
IngomarL

Postby IngomarL » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:14 pm

Hi Alan

Well, I came here after I found nothing on the Brazil-related forum pages.

I think you are right with the Preferred language by country. I have tried out a few things, nothing seemed to remedy the problem.

What finally did the job was:
Delete the app totally, erase the /waze subdirectory, fake a GPS-position in Britain, make a clean install, and then make waze believe that you actually are driving around in Britain for a few miles. That, and only that, did it.

When I switched back to my real GPS-position in Brazil, the voice recognition stayed on (British) English.

I have not switched menues, TTS etc back and forth to different languages, mostly for a lack of time, so I have everything set on British English now. And it makes me laugh a lot when my new waze girlfriend from England pronounces the street names in Brazil ;-)

One last thing: I think that deleting the ASR-language file alone would do the job. While trying a few other options, I got the voice recognition to talk to me in German once (I faked a GPS position at the border of Austria with the Czech republic and virtually drove a few meters on Czech territory - and suddenly she spoke to me in a German (not the Austro-Bavarian type of German, but a quite distinctive northern German accent we know from WWII-movies and the like ;-)

And yes, it seems there are a few commands that are not localized. One of them has to do with the mood I have been using a lot, namely Image.

So long, keep Wazeing!
Ingo
IngomarL

Postby IngomarL » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:39 pm

Hi there from Brazil

Well, I cannot really believe that waze would chose the language according to initial GPS-location. That would be just too dumb, thinking of Europe. I have not really looked in the forum, wiki etc. yet to find the explanation, and we could always ask Ron or someone else from the support team to explain the algorithm, but I would only do this after really exhausting the support-FAQs and a few Wikis, especially those in European languages. I just do not have the time to do this now, so if you find something, pls post it here or send me a PM, ok?

Keep wazeing!
Ingo <><!
IngomarL

Postby R0N1S » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:53 am

Pretty much same problem here.
While using Waze in Latvia, voice commands are in Russian (O_o) despite English_UK in Sound settings. I couldn't find any way to change it to English. That makes this feature rather unusable. :(
IMHO tying language to initial gps location is lame. Users must be able to select a language they are comfortable with from available options. I hope it's fixed very soon.
R0N1S

Postby R0N1S » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:24 am

I've read the FAQ thoroughly but still have no clue about how to change voice commands language to English. I've sent an info request to waze support but I'm yet to hear from them. Will keep you posted.
R0N1S

Postby R0N1S » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:31 pm

I've received an answer from support as follows.
"OK, I've checked with the devs, the voice command feature works on the local voice prompts TTS (including street names) so there is no way to change the voice commands to a different language.
I've forwarded this to our product manager to consider to add more languages to the voice commands."

Asked to forward the following text to the devs.
"1. Russian language has nothing to do with Latvian official language. With this kind of approach you could as well choose Japanese, Thai, German or French for Latvia. Unless you have Latvian language, please change the language used for voice commands to English (it's at least considered to be international).
2. The "local approach" to voice commands in general looks rather awkward to me. How am I supposed to report road hazard, accident or police trap driving in other country (f.e. France)? In French? Seriously? What if drive to Italy from there? IMHO this approach ruins the whole idea. Please consider giving people an option to use the fixed voice commands language to preserve usability."

I hope the devs are able to rectify this issue very soon.
R0N1S

Wrong language using voice navigation

Postby VegasAlien » Mon May 20, 2013 5:06 pm

I have English listed as my language but when I tried to use the voice command in navigation a strange script showed up in the query box and I cannot tell what it is trying to do.
VegasAlien

Return to Navigation & Routing