Avoid a certain area

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Avoid a certain area

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Fri May 24, 2013 3:26 pm

You're in luck because there is such guidance available! :mrgreen:

There is a new page, still in development, in the wiki, which has a lot of good information and detail about how to treat private neighborhoods, a military or other private installation or campus location:

http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Waze ... tallations
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | Oregon Project/To-Do List
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone5 - VZ - iOS 7.0.6 | Waze v3.7.9.992
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Fri May 24, 2013 11:53 pm

But if there are multiple levels of access allowed within the camp, it's less simple. :)
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | Oregon Project/To-Do List
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone5 - VZ - iOS 7.0.6 | Waze v3.7.9.992
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AndyPoms » Fri May 24, 2013 11:37 pm

Simple answer: mark all the roads that are on-base (i.e. restricted access) as private.
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Avoid a certain area

Postby shinaco » Fri May 24, 2013 2:58 pm

Hello, I live in Mexico. Recently used waze at rush hour to get to a certain place, that happens to be next to a huge military camp. The military camp is closed to unauthorized persons, but the map data of the streets inside the camp is available in google maps and all GPS software and devices (including Waze). Most applications and devices do not know that area is actually closed, and many times they insist you go through there to get to your destination. So, logically, when the streets around the camp have heavy traffic, waze suggests to drive INSIDE the camp, as there is no traffic there, and gives the ETA as something pretty quick (which is totally untrue since I can't go there). The closed road option is not practical here as the camp has many different entrances. I tried alternate routes but there were none. I assume that it was because the only way to avoid traffic that waze found was going inside the camp, and other routes were way too slow compared with that, but it would not have been the case if waze knew that I couldn't go through the camp, as it would be forced to compare between routes with heavy traffic instead of comparing with this non existent route.
Is there any quick way to tell waze to avoid the whole military camp? Or I would have to go trough every single entrance the camp has and set it up as a road closure? The option to avoid certain turns along the route (that other GPS devices have) would be also helpful here.
shinaco

Return to Navigation & Routing