Navigation does not seem to learn

Moderator: Unholy

Navigation does not seem to learn

Postby curtwitt » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:06 am

I am having several problems with Waze learning Navigation. First, I drive one way to work and a different way home due to traffic issues. I have had Waze on for two times in each direction. I have asked it to find me a route home and it finds an extremely out of the way third route. When I leave that on and then drive my usual way, it reroutes me each time I diverge from the track but it still tries everything to get me on its originally suggested route including sending me backtracking for a mile to avoid a road I have already travelled with it on.

The other problem is that I have avoided an intersection on the map near my house because it does not actually exist. I have always driven a different way when I have had waze on. I have reported the mistake in the road in question and even received a response that it has been corrected. However, Waze still continues to suggest I use that road on my route home.

There are other issues but those are the highlights. Thanks for any insight.
curtwitt

Re: Navigation does not seem to learn

Postby RallyChris » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:53 am

Waze's mapping model is slightly different from all the other players in the game. Instead of buying the maps (for a hefty price) from the two companies that sell this data. They have taken government data and are augmenting it with data collected from crowd sourcing.

Routing is based off average speeds and directionality of travel based off driving habits of all waze users (plus realtime traffic data from wazers). What you are experiencing is lack of complete data for the route you think is optimal. It takes about 24-48 hours for the Waze servers to analyze our driving tracks and try to match that up to the roads it currently knows about. And that's in a perfect world, where your phone's GPS is perfect, and the map data is also perfect. If our tracks don't match up well... it might take more passes for the gaps to be filled in.

To see how well your Waze is matching up your route, check "My Dashboard" and click on the individual trips in "Your recent routes" (if you don't see any route, then the servers aren't done analyzing them yet). This will launch cartouche (the map editor) and show you your route in hopefully a green line. If you find red, then Waze was not able to match up your tracks to a road. If you are missing segments, then you might have had a network drop out and the tracks were not able to be uploaded to the server. The more green there is, the faster Waze will learn the roads on your route, and potentially use them during routing.

If your GPS is spot on, and you are seeing red, then some of the map might need to be updated to make things match up. That's where one of the benefits of Waze comes in, where we as users can update the maps to make them more accurate.

As far as map edits go, it might take a while for them to actually get down to the phone. The goal there is also 24-48 hours, but due to high popularity, I've been seeing a little longer.

I hope this gives some insight into the workings of waze, and you stay with it long enough to see the end benefits.
Portland, OR / USA - Mega Mapper
Wiki: Area Manager | Map Editing | Known Issues List
Official Suggestion Websites (hosted by uservoice):
Waze Client | Waze Website / Editor
RallyChris

Postby Shorty-CM » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:28 am

It does take some patience to see some meaningful results. I feel your pain. And on top of it, I'm up in Canada so I had to make all the roads around here myself. After that got to a usable point, it started routing me in odd ways. I actually kept driving where it told me to sometimes, and other times I will go the way I think is better or that I usually take. Eventually it started telling me to go the routes I normally took, in most cases. But in other cases it would insist on taking another route over and over. And in some of those cases, it was right, and it was faster. In some cases it eventually changed its mind, too. I think a lot of it depends on how many users there are in your area. If you have a bunch, it can almost not be an issue. If you have few, or even just you, it can take a while for it to start giving you results that will help. I think the "overnight" cleanup process is just too swamped, so it can take a lot longer than we might hope it will to start getting meaningful data. Hopefully you've been hanging in there and Waze is starting to help. It's starting to help around here for me and the wife, though our commutes aren't terribly complicated, either. But it does help, none the less. I can only imagine how much time it can save people in truly big cities with lots of users around.
Shorty-CM
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby dandv » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:29 am

Shorty-CM wrote:It does take some patience to see some meaningful results.

I drove down a specific road at least 4 times in each direction, in different days, and after a week, the road still shows as un-munched.
Waze 1.3.1.0 on Android 1.5 - Android Users Howto Wiki

If God is good, why does a child die every 6 seconds?
dandv

Postby The Fej » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:01 pm

Can you indicate to us where it is so that we can check it ? Use the permalink, please
The Fej
Waze Management
Waze Management

Postby capt996 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:57 am

i have routing options to my house that seem to never change. the route takes me almost a mile past a street to my house and then does a u-turn to get back. i have driven the correct route at least 40 times and it still routes way out of the way for no reason. all it needs to do is make a left turn at one street and it is there, but instead it continues down the main road for a mile and then does the "u"ie.
capt996

Postby Shorty-CM » Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:12 am

Beyond time to check the map to see if there are any errors, in that case.
Shorty-CM
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Fodder » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:06 am

Shorty is right - perhaps the turn is restricted in the map, or not connected. I had a few like that before Shorty showed me the light! ;) there is a link to editing tips Shorty made in my signature.

Post back if you need - maybe with a permalink to the offending intersection
Map editing basic tips videos: http://www.waze.com/user_blog/?p=48 (not mine, all credit to Shorty-CM!)
Waze 1.7 - iPhone 3GS 16GB - 3.1.2
Windows 7 - Chrome
Area manager - New Zealand - great to see more Kiwi Wazers!
Fodder

Postby Hayorti » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:51 am

Yeah... the whole "learn route" feature is just a bunch of crap. I've driven to a specific location using the same route 500000000000 times, yet it still insists on showing me it's own route. At one point, it tells me to turn left, however, my own route is that I continue straight. Once I go straight, it recalculates, and shows the route I want. But, every single time, at that specific point I mentioned, it tells me to turn left (which is a longer route to my house). They either need to say that the learn functionality is BETA and we shouldn't wait for it to work the way it's supposed to, or take it out completely since it's nothing but BS taking up space.
Hayorti

Postby Shorty-CM » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:29 am

There is no "learn route" feature, as you're thinking of it. The feature you see in the client is "learn frequent destinations" and should really be renamed to reflect that.

As for waze telling you to go left, a longer route, have you ever actually done so? Without average speeds for all segments it will always be capable of making mistakes. You actually have to go the wrong way a few times before it figures out that it is indeed a more expensive route to take. But after doing so 2-3 times it will have some average speed data from which to calculate things better. I've learned that the best thing to do in all cases is to trust what waze is telling you to do, even if you know it is wrong. Otherwise once it starts routing you around traffic you will be ignoring it, and you will not be steered around the traffic, but instead be stuck in it.

Do what waze tells you. Eventually it will be right. But it has to gather enough data first. This is where you have to sacrifice a few minutes sometimes, in order to save a lot of minutes later on.
Shorty-CM
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Next

Return to Navigation & Routing