Navigation does not seem to learn

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Navigation does not seem to learn

Postby addrian20 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:01 pm

Also if you have to deal with an old basemap and inexisting roads, get the Area Manager (or become one) and detele the wrong roads. The point is not to complain, but to contribute to a better map.
Area Manager for Constanta, Romania
addrian20

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:31 pm

This is a really old thread. I've added the "learning answer" to the FAQ: http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/FAQ# ... _routes.3F
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | Oregon Project/To-Do List
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone5 - VZ - iOS 7.0.6 | Waze v3.7.9.992
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby banished » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:02 am

I drive the same route everyday and Waze continues to try and get me to take a side street when the 4-lane divided highway I am on will get me home much faster. As an A.M., I have completely rebuilt the section of road in question, resolved all map problems, and still Waze insists upon the side street.

If there truly is route auto-learning in Waze, it is broke.

banished
http://www.tinyurl.com/wazebanished
Country Manager & Southeast (Alabama, Florida, Georgia) Regional Coordinator
@WazeNWFL -- I Waze, therefore I am --
banished
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby banished » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:41 pm

If one must transverse the incorrect route to get Waze to figure out the correct route, even after completely rebuilding the roads in question and clearing any map problems, then that is a bug, not a feature. Expanding the hypothesis that the incorrect route must be transversed, then every road in the database would have to be transversed before Waze could figure out correct routing.

For the sake of argument, let's agree that is true. If true, it is unacceptable. I am going to prove or disprove the hypothesis as I have one maddening route where Waze insists upon sending me the wrong way despite my attempts to fix the route in Cartouche. I should know within a week, depending on the speed of the Waze servers.
banished
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby banished » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:54 am

Reference my post on 23-Nov-10, I have confirmed Waze does NOT learn my preferred routes.
banished
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby banished » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:57 pm

What is more curious, is that in the Live Map, it picks the correct route, but in the iPhone client, it sends me off on side streets no matter how many times I drive the same route that Live Map shows, or no matter that the map editor doesn't show any map problems.

For whatever reason, the client wants me to turn right onto a side street, and the only way I can keep that from happening in the client is to disable the right turn in the map editor. After it propagates to the client map in a few days, the client now picks the correct route. Good for me, but bad for anyone whose destination is on the side street!
banished
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby bgodette » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:19 am

jasonm128 wrote:
ramik79 wrote:I started doubting this, as at the very end on my commute,waze ALWAYS suggests a route that is 2KM longer, and take 2 extra minutes than the router I choose (according to its estimate, which are correct), and I've been doing MY route since always and still everyday it suggests the other longer one :s

I'm not a Waze developer so all I know about this feature is what's in the tip video. :) However, you might want to double-check the turn restrictions on your preferred route, especially near the area where it tells you to take a different path. I have had cases before where Waze stubbornly refused to use a path that I thought should be faster and it usually wound up being a bad turn restriction that prevents Waze from going the faster way. I imagine that a disallowed turn would probably take precedence over your preference.
I've had to do the same thing. There's several common routes I take to various places and Waze wouldn't give the logical route until after I've checked *everything* along the route and any changes propagated to the live map. Now that nearly all the realistic route alternatives for my daily commute and common destinations are fixed up, I'm getting useful re-routing from traffic conditions.
ImageImage
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby capt996 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:57 am

i have routing options to my house that seem to never change. the route takes me almost a mile past a street to my house and then does a u-turn to get back. i have driven the correct route at least 40 times and it still routes way out of the way for no reason. all it needs to do is make a left turn at one street and it is there, but instead it continues down the main road for a mile and then does the "u"ie.
capt996

Navigation does not seem to learn

Postby curtwitt » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:06 am

I am having several problems with Waze learning Navigation. First, I drive one way to work and a different way home due to traffic issues. I have had Waze on for two times in each direction. I have asked it to find me a route home and it finds an extremely out of the way third route. When I leave that on and then drive my usual way, it reroutes me each time I diverge from the track but it still tries everything to get me on its originally suggested route including sending me backtracking for a mile to avoid a road I have already travelled with it on.

The other problem is that I have avoided an intersection on the map near my house because it does not actually exist. I have always driven a different way when I have had waze on. I have reported the mistake in the road in question and even received a response that it has been corrected. However, Waze still continues to suggest I use that road on my route home.

There are other issues but those are the highlights. Thanks for any insight.
curtwitt

Postby dandv » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:29 am

Shorty-CM wrote:It does take some patience to see some meaningful results.

I drove down a specific road at least 4 times in each direction, in different days, and after a week, the road still shows as un-munched.
Waze 1.3.1.0 on Android 1.5 - Android Users Howto Wiki

If God is good, why does a child die every 6 seconds?
dandv

Next

Return to Navigation & Routing