Navigation does not seem to learn

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Navigation does not seem to learn

Postby unwallflower » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:19 pm

I think there should just be a simple message that appears when you select prefer cookie munching, saying something like "enabling this option may result in longer routes".
unwallflower

Postby unwallflower » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:52 pm

dmcconachie wrote:Can't remember the majority of this thread but that's wrong with 3 options in the settings... "On", "Off", "Always ask"

Nothing wrong with that setting either, except it doesn't solve the problem that some are saying the cookie munching feature is confusing because they enabled it without knowing what it did and then wondered why they weren't routed the shortest way.
unwallflower

Postby unwallflower » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:59 pm

dmcconachie wrote:Just a popup when you select "On" or "Always ask" then presumably - would have thought that would be one of the easier fixes required!

Yep, agreed. That's what I suggested as well.
unwallflower

Postby unwallflower » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:52 pm

ramik79 wrote:
jasonm128 wrote:Actually, according to Waze tip video #3, Waze will learn your preferred route but the first route it offers you is always the one it thinks is the fastest. You have to click on the alternate routes button and then your preferred route should always be in the list.

I started doubting this, as at the very end on my commute,waze ALWAYS suggests a route that is 2KM longer, and take 2 extra minutes than the router I choose (according to its estimate, which are correct), and I've been doing MY route since always and still everyday it suggests the other longer one :s

I can promise that it learns preferred routes. Mine has even learned a weird detour that I take, which is certainly not faster (I carpool, so I leave my car at a park and ride... Waze now even routes me through the parking lot at the park and ride!).
unwallflower

Postby zottel » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:46 pm

In most cases, waze learns well, but I've also seen strange stuff.

First, I don't like that waze prefers longer routes (by time as well as by kilometers) over shorter ones if they have less segments, turns or whatever the criteria exactly are, i.e. highway/Autobahn etc. are preferred even if this means that the trip will take longer. If I say I want the fastest route, the fastest route is what I want, not some route that might or might not be more efficient. This should at least be an option, or alternatives should be shown by default so I could choose what I think is best myself without having to hit the "Alternatives" button each and every time.

Second, there is one street I drive from time to time where in the evening there is ALWAYS a traffic jam. It takes about 15 minutes to make 2 km or so. I've driven down that road four or five times knowing that I'd be stuck, hoping that waze would learn not to take that route in the evening hours. But waze didn't learn. Of course, I've driven alternative routes a lot of times, and I've checked that they are routable, too. (One of them is even shown as an alternative. In reality, it is not two or three minutes slower as waze claims, but about 15 minutes faster.)

If I look at that particular street in Cartouche, there is still no speed shown although I drove it down several times (and others must have done so, too, as it is a major street with a lot of traffic). I don't know if that's true, but my guess is that waze won't record speeds if it deems the current situation a traffic jam. Whenever I drove that street, waze showed a traffic jam there when I finally came out of it. If I'm right with my guess, please change that. Otherwise, a street that is regularly packed with cars at certain times will never get correct averages.
zottel

Previous

Return to Navigation & Routing