Navigation does not seem to learn

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Navigation does not seem to learn

Postby lgibert » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:45 pm

Shorty-CM wrote:And there are plenty of people that did learn what it does, so, I don't know what else to tell you.

Well, nothing for me, thank you! My problem is solved since last month(yesss :) )

For the next beginner, there are a lot of thing to do to ehance this option! Yes, there are (hopfully) plenty of people who hadn't this problem, but, the less there will be beginner giving up for this problem, the better it will be. And it's quite easy to make things better:
- write a more *objective* comprehensive description (like for data use/ info traffic)
- write some word in doc/wiki about this option
- and, why not, stop denying there could be a problem with the information about this option ;)

I give devel and averybody else who want to hear, this warning and that's it! Now I'm ready to help to ehance this but if everybody think differently, well, I give up myself. I was thinking that Waze need user and dosn't need to loose some of them stupidly but, ok, I could be false. :shock:
Luc
Country Manager - Local Champ - Area Manager: France - Golfe de Sainte-Maxime/Saint-Tropez + Cantal + Haute-Marne
Waze Android Version 4.0.0.2 / LG G4
Foursquare SuperUser Level 2
lgibert
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby unwallflower » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:54 pm

Shorty-CM wrote:And there are plenty of people that did learn what it does, so, I don't know what else to tell you.

I do agree with you, and I honestly don't remember ever NOT understanding what the "prefer cookie munching" option does (I'm sure I read about it in the forums or the wiki, I started exploring both resources the same day I installed Waze).

At the same time, if you think about it from the point of view of someone less technologically-inclined (I'm trying to think like, say, my parents), you have to see how it can be confusing. I don't think it's fair to expect every user to browse the forums and the wiki (although it would be nice!). I still don't understand WHY anyone would turn on an option without first figuring out what it does, but it also doesn't seem to harmful to include a warning pop-up that appears when a user turns this option on, informing them that it may adversely affect routing.

I think it's obvious what it does, but apparently not everyone agrees. It seems like that should be kept in mind.
unwallflower

Postby som1else » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:51 am

Seems rather obvious that this is going to make your routes goofy, don't you think? You are explicitly telling it to prefer roads that nobody has driven on with waze yet. You shouldn't be surprised when it does just that.

I don't think it's so obvious if you don't know how Waze works and what the cookies are. I'm sure there are many like myself who will download Waze without reading the description carefully and think its just another navigating app that has chatting options and goodies for you to get points. Without really thinking that I was in the routing section when choosing this option, I was making the false assumption that this turned on and off the "pac-man" feature and that if you had it off, the app would be more like a standard navigator and not have the "cutsy" stuff. Of course it all makes perfect sense to me now, but I don't think it would hurt to have a pop up letting the user know that cookie munching is enabled and routes will not be ideal. It should actually be included in the "fastest, shortest" route category rather than by itself since choosing cookie munching should cancel both of those options. This would take almost no effort to implement and would ensure no potential Wazers give it up for such a minor user error before finding out what a great app it is.
som1else

Postby stiab3 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:49 am

I agree. It should be an option alongside shortest and fastest.

It was a long time between when I got waze and when I could use it for navigation. So by the time I could, I knew what cookies were and chose that option. It didn't seem to make much difference as it's never sent me out of the way for the sake of cookies.

s3
. . . still a long waze to go.
Area Manager - South Lakeland
stiab3

Postby Shorty-CM » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:51 am

The problem with making it an option alongside those ones would be: How is it supposed to behave when there are none present anywhere near the route you're requesting? That's why it is a toggle on top of your normal route type preference.
Shorty-CM
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby som1else » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:16 pm

The problem with making it an option alongside those ones would be: How is it supposed to behave when there are none present anywhere near the route you're requesting? That's why it is a toggle on top of your normal route type preference.

Okay, I see a slight bit of a point there, but I don't see why you seem so adamant that there is no issue with this. I was one route away from deleting Waze because I didn't realize how adversely this option was changing my routes. Luckily I figured out my stupid mistake and become a true fan. Had I given up, I would not have discovered cartouche and my area would not have benefited from the few thousand map edits I've done already in addition to all my driving statistics.

Perhaps it should automatically shut road munching off after each session and not be left as the selected default. Really, who is going to use Waze for cookie munching most of the time? People with plenty of spare time and money for gas I guess, but most users would only want to do this on occasion. Or maybe a warning when you select a route that road munching is enabled to remind you that route is not optimal. Waze has enough issues with map connectivity, directional problems and bogus standstill traffic data. Why add to the problems by having a feature that deliberately gives inefficient routing information without proper explanation.
som1else

Postby unwallflower » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:19 pm

I think there should just be a simple message that appears when you select prefer cookie munching, saying something like "enabling this option may result in longer routes".
unwallflower

Postby dmcconachie » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:47 pm

Can't remember the majority of this thread but that's wrong with 3 options in the settings... "On", "Off", "Always ask"
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ
OnePlus One • Android 6.0.1
UK WikiFB PageForum FAQCurrent status
dmcconachie

Postby unwallflower » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:52 pm

dmcconachie wrote:Can't remember the majority of this thread but that's wrong with 3 options in the settings... "On", "Off", "Always ask"

Nothing wrong with that setting either, except it doesn't solve the problem that some are saying the cookie munching feature is confusing because they enabled it without knowing what it did and then wondered why they weren't routed the shortest way.
unwallflower

Postby dmcconachie » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:55 pm

Just a popup when you select "On" or "Always ask" then presumably - would have thought that would be one of the easier fixes required!
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ
OnePlus One • Android 6.0.1
UK WikiFB PageForum FAQCurrent status
dmcconachie

PreviousNext

Return to Navigation & Routing