Navigation does not seem to learn

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Navigation does not seem to learn

Postby Shorty-CM » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:33 pm

Seems rather obvious that this is going to make your routes goofy, don't you think? You are explicitly telling it to prefer roads that nobody has driven on with waze yet. You shouldn't be surprised when it does just that.
Shorty-CM
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Shorty-CM » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:40 am

I've never seen it as default. If you have it set and upgrade to a new version it will still be set, though.
Shorty-CM
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Shorty-CM » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:10 am

Nobody forced you to turn an option on without learning what it does.
Shorty-CM
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Shorty-CM » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:48 am

And there are plenty of people that did learn what it does, so, I don't know what else to tell you.
Shorty-CM
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Shorty-CM » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:51 am

The problem with making it an option alongside those ones would be: How is it supposed to behave when there are none present anywhere near the route you're requesting? That's why it is a toggle on top of your normal route type preference.
Shorty-CM
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Shorty-CM » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:26 pm

That's because the feature should be called 'learn your frequent *destinations*' as it has absolutely nothing to do with routing. Routing is always determined by average segment speeds and current traffic conditions.

edit - The only way to get it to stop routing you that way would be to ignore your better judgement and blindly trust Waze's route, even if that means you're late a bunch of times. Sooner or later Waze will determine that at that time of day the average speed for those segments involved in that route means that the route will be longer, and it will then stop telling you to take that route. But it needs that data in the first place in order to make that determination. Waze is only as good as the data it has available. And if it never gets data telling it that that route is poor at that/those time(s) of day then it will always be routing you that way. It will always give you the route with the least penalty, and until it knows of the penalties involved on any given route/segment then it will just continue using whatever little data it has about those segments/routes. This data is obviously easier to obtain when there are more Waze users around. If you're among a very few Wazers in the area then I'm afraid personal sacrifice is the only way it will get that data. But once it passes the tipping point and gets enough info then it will start helping you the way you want it to.
Shorty-CM
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Shorty-CM » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:10 am

Ah, didn't know that. I don't think it used to be that way, but I could be wrong there too. :) Now, as long as it still handles traffic in that situation. The frequent routes feature used to just figure out what your frequent destinations were, when you would usually go to x, y, or z, and automatically set those destinations for you without any user interaction if you fired up Waze around the typical time for those destinations. So you'd get up for work and head out at around the same time you usually do, and it would route you to work without you hitting anything. Usually go to the park at 3pm on Sunday, well, it'd route you there automatically again when you fire up Waze around 3pm on Sunday.
Shorty-CM
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Shorty-CM » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:33 pm

Despite other users' insistence I've never seen it do that. The only way I've ever understood the feature is that it learns your destinations, not routes. Besides, no matter how much you like your route, if Waze doesn't make you go that way, that way probably isn't very ideal. ;) Once you've gone that way a few times and there is sufficient average speed data it will pick it *if* it makes sense. It may not make sense.
Shorty-CM
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby som1else » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:03 pm

Might your client have "Menu > Settings > Routing > Prefer cookie munching" enabled?

I think that selecting "prefer cookie munching" should give the user a clear warning that this will adversely affect routing. Maybe I'm a bit slow, but I was ready to give up on Waze because it was constantly giving me horrible routes that made no sense to me. It took me awhile to figure out that I had set it to prefer cookie munching when I first selected routing options shortly after installing the app. Once I unchecked this, my routes improved dramatically. I wonder how many newbies have this box selected and don't figure this out and stop using Waze because it seems that it has no idea how to get you from point A to point B.
som1else

Postby som1else » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:51 am

Seems rather obvious that this is going to make your routes goofy, don't you think? You are explicitly telling it to prefer roads that nobody has driven on with waze yet. You shouldn't be surprised when it does just that.

I don't think it's so obvious if you don't know how Waze works and what the cookies are. I'm sure there are many like myself who will download Waze without reading the description carefully and think its just another navigating app that has chatting options and goodies for you to get points. Without really thinking that I was in the routing section when choosing this option, I was making the false assumption that this turned on and off the "pac-man" feature and that if you had it off, the app would be more like a standard navigator and not have the "cutsy" stuff. Of course it all makes perfect sense to me now, but I don't think it would hurt to have a pop up letting the user know that cookie munching is enabled and routes will not be ideal. It should actually be included in the "fastest, shortest" route category rather than by itself since choosing cookie munching should cancel both of those options. This would take almost no effort to implement and would ensure no potential Wazers give it up for such a minor user error before finding out what a great app it is.
som1else

PreviousNext

Return to Navigation & Routing