Navigation does not seem to learn

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Navigation does not seem to learn

Postby harling » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:15 pm

mfarman wrote:A couple of people indicated that one has to drive "incorrect" routes a few times in order for Waze to learn. In some cases this is unfeasible. Last weekend I drove a 34 mile, 48 min. trip 6 times. Waze wanted me to drive a 48 mile, 90 min. route. I'm sorry but I don't have the time, or inclination, to go so far out of my way, several times, just to help the program learn...

The data will be gathered eventually... either all in one trip, or by Wazers traversing the various segments separately. Just driving with Waze on, not necessarily even using it to navigate, will help the process along. But if you want Waze to learn more quickly, though, you will have to teach it yourself--by either real-world driving, or editing the map.
Area Manager, Eastern MA & Southern NH. Country Manager, USA.
harling

Navigation does not seem to learn

Postby fvwazing » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:14 am

From what I read, a number of roads in that area should be marked private or 4x4, and some turnrestrictions fixed. Big deal.

Instead we see a case of "management by shouting" here. It takes every kind, I guess.
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
AM for some 25.000 km² around Maastricht, the Netherlands
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1
fvwazing

Postby freddiechopin » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:27 am

Shorty-CM wrote:You are explicitly telling it to prefer roads that nobody has driven on with waze yet. You shouldn't be surprised when it does just that.

I don't know how can you say that "prefer cookie munching" is explicit about anything... I had to search the wiki for a longer while to find the meaning of that option, because it's not described where it should be and it's definitely not obvious what does that mean. Not all people are born with knowledge about Waze's bonus system and what "cookies" are.

4\/3!!
freddiechopin

Postby Fodder » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:06 am

Shorty is right - perhaps the turn is restricted in the map, or not connected. I had a few like that before Shorty showed me the light! ;) there is a link to editing tips Shorty made in my signature.

Post back if you need - maybe with a permalink to the offending intersection
Map editing basic tips videos: http://www.waze.com/user_blog/?p=48 (not mine, all credit to Shorty-CM!)
Waze 1.7 - iPhone 3GS 16GB - 3.1.2
Windows 7 - Chrome
Area manager - New Zealand - great to see more Kiwi Wazers!
Fodder

Postby dmcconachie » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:01 pm

In that case you're spot on! ;)
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ

UK WikiUK FB PageCurrent status
dmcconachie

Postby dmcconachie » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:55 pm

Just a popup when you select "On" or "Always ask" then presumably - would have thought that would be one of the easier fixes required!

dmcconachie

Postby dmcconachie » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:47 pm

Can't remember the majority of this thread but that's wrong with 3 options in the settings... "On", "Off", "Always ask"

dmcconachie

Postby dmcconachie » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:49 am

It learns frequent destinations rather then preferred routes. There are many reasons why it might continuously direct you a route other than what you might expect!

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

dmcconachie

Postby dmcconachie » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:39 pm

A bug is an unintended and unexpected error in the way a program works. What is being described here is exactly the way waze was designed!

It is free because we as users accept the responsibility of building the maps and/or teaching the server! There is no magical way for them to know what is the best route until the alternatives have been traversed! This is the challenge to begin with but once it starts to learn, its power is immense!

I would encourage you to try and demonstrate to us the route it advises as well as the route you, as the experienced party, would take. Between us we can work out why they differ!

dmcconachie

Postby DarkAudit » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:10 am

dmcconachie wrote:It learns frequent destinations rather then preferred routes. There are many reasons why it might continuously direct you a route other than what you might expect!

What it's doing is sending me on a roundabout path to a point in the middle of the route, and from that point it's the same route I usually take. If I hadn't replaced the ramp in the map with a street (which is what it really is), it would be giving me more or less exactly the route I always take. It's just a matter of my corrections finally making their way to the routing server. There's no point in making me go a mile or two out of my way to get to a point I'm just 100yds or so from, or even make a u-turn when I'm within sight of my destination to go back to my starting point. That's what's happens as I wait for the edits to get through.
Area Manager - Morgantown, WV
DarkAudit

PreviousNext

Return to Navigation & Routing