Navigation does not seem to learn

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Navigation does not seem to learn

Postby som1else » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:16 pm

The problem with making it an option alongside those ones would be: How is it supposed to behave when there are none present anywhere near the route you're requesting? That's why it is a toggle on top of your normal route type preference.

Okay, I see a slight bit of a point there, but I don't see why you seem so adamant that there is no issue with this. I was one route away from deleting Waze because I didn't realize how adversely this option was changing my routes. Luckily I figured out my stupid mistake and become a true fan. Had I given up, I would not have discovered cartouche and my area would not have benefited from the few thousand map edits I've done already in addition to all my driving statistics.

Perhaps it should automatically shut road munching off after each session and not be left as the selected default. Really, who is going to use Waze for cookie munching most of the time? People with plenty of spare time and money for gas I guess, but most users would only want to do this on occasion. Or maybe a warning when you select a route that road munching is enabled to remind you that route is not optimal. Waze has enough issues with map connectivity, directional problems and bogus standstill traffic data. Why add to the problems by having a feature that deliberately gives inefficient routing information without proper explanation.
som1else

Postby stevenhaywood » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:03 pm

Hmm but what if the shorter route was done by someone who broke a law or had a 4x4 and went off road for a bit? Waze would then start instructing "normal "drivers to follow this route.

The best way to fix things like this is to use cartouche to verify the connectivity of all the segments along the shorter route... Some junction somewhere is broken. And if a road is locked with the wrong directionality it will never fix itself...
stevenhaywood

Postby stevenhaywood » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:50 pm

Remember there is a lag between edit and livemap and then another lag between livemap and routing server. I would wait two weeks from edit to see if the routing improves.
stevenhaywood

Postby stiab3 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:49 am

I agree. It should be an option alongside shortest and fastest.

It was a long time between when I got waze and when I could use it for navigation. So by the time I could, I knew what cookies were and chose that option. It didn't seem to make much difference as it's never sent me out of the way for the sake of cookies.

s3
. . . still a long waze to go.
Area Manager - South Lakeland
stiab3

Postby The Fej » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:01 pm

Can you indicate to us where it is so that we can check it ? Use the permalink, please
The Fej
Waze Management
Waze Management

Postby thethiefofalways » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:25 pm

Maybe this is already being discussed, so I apologize ahead of time.

Waze touts that it will learn a route you drive over and over again and you only have to drive a route "several" times for it to learn it. This has yet to happen!

I have driven one route to work on multiple occasions and it has yet to learn it and suggest it as a route. I could understand if this particular route were un-used roads or the like, but that simply is not the case.

It would be nice if Waze did actually have this function (or it worked properly) as it would be nice to see this route as an option to understand time differences in traffic, etc.

It might also be a neat feature to allow route set-up via the map when logged into your account online. You could pick an origin and destination first, get the initial primary routes; and then have the ability, like Google, to select points along any route and move them and then save that as a new route alternative to have available.

Thanks.
thethiefofalways

Postby unwallflower » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:26 pm

This is also why you can edit the map online. Sure, waze learns when you drive with it on... but it learns MUCH faster if you just correct errors online rather than waiting for it to learn by just driving.
unwallflower

Postby unwallflower » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:31 pm

I agree.

I sometimes have a hard time coming to terms with the fact that not everyone is a techno geek like me. Sigh. :cry:
unwallflower

Postby unwallflower » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:52 pm

Shorty-CM wrote:Every single piece of the map that waze has all over the entire world has NO DIRECTIONALITY until someone either drives there or manually fixes the map. If you did not know this before, now you do. One of the biggest reasons for anyone to use waze is that it is possible to make the map reflect reality on your own, without having to rely on some big corporation to fix the map in your area in 5 years time or some other ridiculously long amount of time, or ever.

Complaining that the map is incomplete in a product where it is expected to be incomplete since it starts off totally incomplete is a little weird. Before we got a base map in Canada there were people starting from scratch to map their area. I did 1600 km of Vancouver Island on my own, without even one more wazer for the vast majority of that data, from scratch, editing every single road and intersection to get it working perfectly. Probably most parts of the world had to be done in this fashion, and I recall seeing an insane amount of different parts of Europe getting done in mere weeks from people going crazy at mapping around themselves.

A basemap can be a great shortcut, but isn't even necessary. The fact that the basemap doesn't meet your expectations is perhaps a letdown, but the whole point of this project is that you can make it what it should be on your own. And even people that never load up the map editor can help get that done simply by driving with waze turned on. Sure, that means the directionality of roads and intersections might not reflect reality for some time, but eventually it will. Editing just happens to be a faster way to that goal.

Perhaps waze doesn't do what you think it should right now. But with the help of wazers like yourself, it can, and in some cases in a very short amount of time. Obviously you don't have to use the product. Obviously you don't have to help in any way. But you can, if you choose to do so. Complaining that you would have to because of the current state of the map data is a little strange, though, given the very nature of the product in question. It is *supposed* to be completed by us. If that's not your cup of tea, that's fine. Don't use it then. Nobody's forcing you to. It would be nice if you had some spare time here and there to help, sure. But, really, nobody says you have to do any of it. But that is the nature of this project, and complaining about it makes little sense.

Where's my clapping emoticon when I need it? :)
unwallflower

Postby unwallflower » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:54 pm

Shorty-CM wrote:And there are plenty of people that did learn what it does, so, I don't know what else to tell you.

I do agree with you, and I honestly don't remember ever NOT understanding what the "prefer cookie munching" option does (I'm sure I read about it in the forums or the wiki, I started exploring both resources the same day I installed Waze).

At the same time, if you think about it from the point of view of someone less technologically-inclined (I'm trying to think like, say, my parents), you have to see how it can be confusing. I don't think it's fair to expect every user to browse the forums and the wiki (although it would be nice!). I still don't understand WHY anyone would turn on an option without first figuring out what it does, but it also doesn't seem to harmful to include a warning pop-up that appears when a user turns this option on, informing them that it may adversely affect routing.

I think it's obvious what it does, but apparently not everyone agrees. It seems like that should be kept in mind.
unwallflower

PreviousNext

Return to Navigation & Routing