Navigation does not seem to learn

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Navigation does not seem to learn

Postby unwallflower » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:59 pm

dmcconachie wrote:Just a popup when you select "On" or "Always ask" then presumably - would have thought that would be one of the easier fixes required!


Yep, agreed. That's what I suggested as well.
unwallflower
 
Posts: 1564
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 6:43 pm
Location: San Diego, CA
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Navigation does not seem to learn

Postby dmcconachie » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:01 pm

In that case you're spot on! ;)
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ
OnePlus One • Android 6.0.1
UK WikiFB PageForum FAQCurrent status
dmcconachie
 
Posts: 6120
Joined: Sat May 22, 2010 11:44 pm
Location: Edinburgh, UK
Has thanked: 106 times
Been thanked: 308 times

Re: Navigation does not seem to learn

Postby kassx1 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:35 pm

Sorry for the late post.
I have Munching feature off, Learning on.

The route Waze wants me to use to go to work is one that I've learned through years of use can back up at any time of day. And if it does the alternates take way to long, your stuck. It wants me to get on a Fwy N/B close to where I live and connect with a W/B Fwy, I stay on surface streets W/B to N/B and connect with the Fwy there. At certain times of day even when Fwy traffic is at full speed (75 mph) the surface streets take the same amount of time without the risk of being stuck in a four lane wide parking lot. So my point is after over three weeks Waze has not learned my preferred route. As a matter of fact it keeps trying to get me to take the Fwy even if it means backtracking a long way. Any ideas?
kassx1
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:22 am
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: Navigation does not seem to learn

Postby Shorty-CM » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:26 pm

That's because the feature should be called 'learn your frequent *destinations*' as it has absolutely nothing to do with routing. Routing is always determined by average segment speeds and current traffic conditions.

edit - The only way to get it to stop routing you that way would be to ignore your better judgement and blindly trust Waze's route, even if that means you're late a bunch of times. Sooner or later Waze will determine that at that time of day the average speed for those segments involved in that route means that the route will be longer, and it will then stop telling you to take that route. But it needs that data in the first place in order to make that determination. Waze is only as good as the data it has available. And if it never gets data telling it that that route is poor at that/those time(s) of day then it will always be routing you that way. It will always give you the route with the least penalty, and until it knows of the penalties involved on any given route/segment then it will just continue using whatever little data it has about those segments/routes. This data is obviously easier to obtain when there are more Waze users around. If you're among a very few Wazers in the area then I'm afraid personal sacrifice is the only way it will get that data. But once it passes the tipping point and gets enough info then it will start helping you the way you want it to.
Shorty-CM
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
 
Posts: 646
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:56 pm
Location: Parksville, BC, Canada
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: Navigation does not seem to learn

Postby jasonm128 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:52 am

Actually, according to Waze tip video #3, Waze will learn your preferred route but the first route it offers you is always the one it thinks is the fastest. You have to click on the alternate routes button and then your preferred route should always be in the list.
Area Manager : NW Suburbs of Boston, MA
HTC Droid DNA - Android 4.4.2 - Verizon
Image
jasonm128
 
Posts: 304
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:55 am
Location: Woburn, MA, USA
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: Navigation does not seem to learn

Postby Shorty-CM » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:10 am

Ah, didn't know that. I don't think it used to be that way, but I could be wrong there too. :) Now, as long as it still handles traffic in that situation. The frequent routes feature used to just figure out what your frequent destinations were, when you would usually go to x, y, or z, and automatically set those destinations for you without any user interaction if you fired up Waze around the typical time for those destinations. So you'd get up for work and head out at around the same time you usually do, and it would route you to work without you hitting anything. Usually go to the park at 3pm on Sunday, well, it'd route you there automatically again when you fire up Waze around 3pm on Sunday.
Shorty-CM
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
 
Posts: 646
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:56 pm
Location: Parksville, BC, Canada
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: Navigation does not seem to learn

Postby ramik79 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:52 am

jasonm128 wrote:Actually, according to Waze tip video #3, Waze will learn your preferred route but the first route it offers you is always the one it thinks is the fastest. You have to click on the alternate routes button and then your preferred route should always be in the list.


I started doubting this, as at the very end on my commute,waze ALWAYS suggests a route that is 2KM longer, and take 2 extra minutes than the router I choose (according to its estimate, which are correct), and I've been doing MY route since always and still everyday it suggests the other longer one :s
Device: Samsung Galaxy S3 i9300 - Android 4.1.2
ramik79
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:24 pm
Location: Veneto, Italy
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: Navigation does not seem to learn

Postby unwallflower » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:52 pm

ramik79 wrote:
jasonm128 wrote:Actually, according to Waze tip video #3, Waze will learn your preferred route but the first route it offers you is always the one it thinks is the fastest. You have to click on the alternate routes button and then your preferred route should always be in the list.


I started doubting this, as at the very end on my commute,waze ALWAYS suggests a route that is 2KM longer, and take 2 extra minutes than the router I choose (according to its estimate, which are correct), and I've been doing MY route since always and still everyday it suggests the other longer one :s


I can promise that it learns preferred routes. Mine has even learned a weird detour that I take, which is certainly not faster (I carpool, so I leave my car at a park and ride... Waze now even routes me through the parking lot at the park and ride!).
unwallflower
 
Posts: 1564
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 6:43 pm
Location: San Diego, CA
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Navigation does not seem to learn

Postby jasonm128 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:47 pm

ramik79 wrote:I started doubting this, as at the very end on my commute,waze ALWAYS suggests a route that is 2KM longer, and take 2 extra minutes than the router I choose (according to its estimate, which are correct), and I've been doing MY route since always and still everyday it suggests the other longer one :s


I'm not a Waze developer so all I know about this feature is what's in the tip video. :) However, you might want to double-check the turn restrictions on your preferred route, especially near the area where it tells you to take a different path. I have had cases before where Waze stubbornly refused to use a path that I thought should be faster and it usually wound up being a bad turn restriction that prevents Waze from going the faster way. I imagine that a disallowed turn would probably take precedence over your preference.
Area Manager : NW Suburbs of Boston, MA
HTC Droid DNA - Android 4.4.2 - Verizon
Image
jasonm128
 
Posts: 304
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:55 am
Location: Woburn, MA, USA
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: Navigation does not seem to learn

Postby bgodette » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:19 am

jasonm128 wrote:
ramik79 wrote:I started doubting this, as at the very end on my commute,waze ALWAYS suggests a route that is 2KM longer, and take 2 extra minutes than the router I choose (according to its estimate, which are correct), and I've been doing MY route since always and still everyday it suggests the other longer one :s


I'm not a Waze developer so all I know about this feature is what's in the tip video. :) However, you might want to double-check the turn restrictions on your preferred route, especially near the area where it tells you to take a different path. I have had cases before where Waze stubbornly refused to use a path that I thought should be faster and it usually wound up being a bad turn restriction that prevents Waze from going the faster way. I imagine that a disallowed turn would probably take precedence over your preference.
I've had to do the same thing. There's several common routes I take to various places and Waze wouldn't give the logical route until after I've checked *everything* along the route and any changes propagated to the live map. Now that nearly all the realistic route alternatives for my daily commute and common destinations are fixed up, I'm getting useful re-routing from traffic conditions.
ImageImage
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
 
Posts: 3378
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:19 pm
Location: Denver, CO
Has thanked: 101 times
Been thanked: 480 times

PreviousNext

Return to Navigation & Routing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users