Routing ignores all turn restrictions and road closures

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Postby BrutusNL » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:08 pm

@Wayne: Thanks for you support in this. You have expressed most of my thoughts and reasoning perfectly clear. My main concern is the fact that it is down right erroneous what happens with some junctions. Indeed, I'd rather have Waze say it cannot route or send me on a 100km detour due to incomplete map information than being sent up a route or turn that someone else marked as no-go. I will try to provide support with the promised extra information about the exact date and time so they can check the logs or what needs to be done, but your example should also do the trick.
As for your remark about 'no entrance: fortunately that's exactly how I interpret and use that. The Machinekade is a restricted street that can only be used by people who have to be there. Through traffic is prohibited there.
And when it comes to editing the turns we are also on the same page! I edit the roads and junctions in the exact same way and when checking afterwards all connections and turns are correct.
Hope this gets resolved soon. I thought (and in a way hoped) munching preference was the culprit but now you have found spots where is also happens in the livemap, that's highly unlikely.
BrutusNL

Postby BrutusNL » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:23 pm

[ img ][ img ]Here's two of today's problems. Don't know the exact streetname (was not edited yet) but I had set Waze to a treasurechest in Veldhoven. And since i had already passed the exit had to drive back, which Waze solved in the shown route.
BrutusNL

Postby BrutusNL » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:09 pm

@Robin: of course you are always responsible for your own actions, including breaking traffic (or Darwin's ;-) ) law. My point was and is that Waze was definitely wrong in the two occasions I mentioned. Maybe the turn was messed up, but the ramp was one way, nothing more, nothing less...ergo you can never give directions to drive against traffic. Maybe even more so on ramps or freeways. Again, I am a huge fan of Waze and will always defend it's ideas and community, but that's exactly where this comes from...i am concerned for Waze's future if these basic errors happen to 'the common public'. I don't have the statistics but for every comment I make to point to errors or suggestions there's 10 or more first-timers who won't give Waze a second thought and we will never get the critical mass in Holland. The best way to do that is to make correct and efficient routing the highest priority and cherish the community (who make the maps routable) like a newborn.
I am not a newbie and, though not as much as you, have done my share of editting and I know for a fact that e.g. the left turn at Machinekade was correctly restricted by disabling all turns at the junction except the one I manually allowed and making the road 'no entrance'.
So, to stay in sync with the sunny weather outside, this a serious concern that should get proper investigation. If it was me who did something wrong, I'd be more than happy to know that, if it's the maps I'll me happy to spend more time in checking every single turn and road segment. But since it happened on turns that definitively were restricted I am almost sure something is/was wrong in the routing algorithm or the client (but routing is serverside, right?)
Last edited by BrutusNL on Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BrutusNL

Postby BrutusNL » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:51 am

Robin, I disagree. One if the 'crowd pleasers' is the pacman effect. If I am a newbie and see that I can switch on something to collect more points, it should never disobey the restrictions that apply. Under no circumstance! Specifically when it has been manually restricted. And 'normal' users won't read the wiki, so it's no use to expect this to be sufficient information.
I second Wayne in that I am a huge Waze fan and love the general community idea. However, and it might be the Halloween spirit, I fear that Waze will never really pickup if these basics of a gps navi are not working properly. People give up after two or three of those stupid errors and that leaves us with a community of 50-100 Waze fanatics.
BrutusNL

Postby BrutusNL » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:00 am

[ img ]here's a screenshot of the illegal route. Will post the rest from my desktop in a couple of minutes.
BrutusNL

Postby BrutusNL » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:15 am

Hi Wayne, I'll be able to provide those this afternoon.
BrutusNL

Postby BrutusNL » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:30 pm

I had it again two times today. It gets really annoying. This time I checked and had super network connectivity and ETA seemed to be accurate. It only didn't obey one-way (manually locked) streets or manual turn restrictions.

**UPDATE** And suddenly it hit me... I recently set Waze to prefer munching! At least that explains some of the weird inefficient routes, but not the stupid mistakes with direction and turns.
BrutusNL

Postby BrutusNL » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:02 am

I didn't pay attention to ETA. Will do that next time.
BrutusNL

Postby BrutusNL » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:00 pm

Thanks for your reply Chris, but I am certain that in this specific case it is a bug rather than some sort of optimization thing, because it is a route I have driven hundreds of times already without any problems. It just ignored everything, including elevation differences of more than 2 levels. I agree that it is always nice if Waze is smart, but it can indeed never ignore manually added restrictions. If I would have followed the instructions I would have taken a 4 lane wide roundabout in the wrong direction 8-)
BrutusNL

Postby BrutusNL » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:47 pm

I must say, it happened for the third time in more than one year of Wazing, but this afternoon it happened again that Waze ignored every restriction on the map including:
- turn restriction
- directionality (one way streets)
- road closure (non drivable or no entrance roads)

Just checked Cartouche and everything is fine there. All restrictions are in place.

Any other Wazers out there who have the same experience?
BrutusNL

Next

Return to Navigation & Routing