Routing ignores all turn restrictions and road closures

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Postby BrutusNL » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:47 pm

I must say, it happened for the third time in more than one year of Wazing, but this afternoon it happened again that Waze ignored every restriction on the map including:
- turn restriction
- directionality (one way streets)
- road closure (non drivable or no entrance roads)

Just checked Cartouche and everything is fine there. All restrictions are in place.

Any other Wazers out there who have the same experience?
BrutusNL

Re: Routing ignores all turn restrictions and road closures

Postby RallyChris » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:43 pm

All of the items you listed can be used if no superior route can be found.

To over simplify, waze probably uses cost based analysis (like all other mapping software), where it gives a point value to every turn or road segment it tries to use. In this method, Turn restrictions, going against a one way, no entrance, etc. is calculated at a "higher" cost then the following what is known to be valid.

This is needed as otherwise you would never be able to route anywhere unless every road in between you and your destination had good directionality and turn restrictions already in place. Since Waze does not start out with that data, they allow the routing servers to attempt to drive you in ways that potentially might work, but just haven't been seen yet.

Per Dror, locking a road segment will give a higher cost to the turn restrictions in place. So I advise to use lock especially when their are turn restrictions involved.

My personal opinion is that the routing servers should never override a manually put in turn restriction, but may override a "no connectivity" restriction. But that is my two cents.
Portland, OR / USA - Mega Mapper
Wiki: Area Manager | Map Editing | Known Issues List
Official Suggestion Websites (hosted by uservoice):
Waze Client | Waze Website / Editor
RallyChris

Postby BrutusNL » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:00 pm

Thanks for your reply Chris, but I am certain that in this specific case it is a bug rather than some sort of optimization thing, because it is a route I have driven hundreds of times already without any problems. It just ignored everything, including elevation differences of more than 2 levels. I agree that it is always nice if Waze is smart, but it can indeed never ignore manually added restrictions. If I would have followed the instructions I would have taken a 4 lane wide roundabout in the wrong direction 8-)
BrutusNL

Postby waynemcdougall » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:00 pm

I wonder if it is losing connection to the waze routing server and using the routing algorithm in the client? What was the Eta like?
Waze User Manuals, Map Editing guide and support at http://www.waze.com/wiki
Wayne McDougall
Make Friends with me on Facebook and we'll compete against each other on the Scoreboard
http://www.facebook.com/wayne.w.mcdougall
waynemcdougall

Postby BrutusNL » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:02 am

I didn't pay attention to ETA. Will do that next time.
BrutusNL

Postby BrutusNL » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:30 pm

I had it again two times today. It gets really annoying. This time I checked and had super network connectivity and ETA seemed to be accurate. It only didn't obey one-way (manually locked) streets or manual turn restrictions.

**UPDATE** And suddenly it hit me... I recently set Waze to prefer munching! At least that explains some of the weird inefficient routes, but not the stupid mistakes with direction and turns.
BrutusNL

Postby waynemcdougall » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:05 pm

I'd love to look at a route with illegal navigation, whether with the munching option on or off.
Can you provide screen shots, a description of start and end points, a Livemap permalink with the route on it, anything?
Waze User Manuals, Map Editing guide and support at http://www.waze.com/wiki
Wayne McDougall
Make Friends with me on Facebook and we'll compete against each other on the Scoreboard
http://www.facebook.com/wayne.w.mcdougall
waynemcdougall

Postby BrutusNL » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:15 am

Hi Wayne, I'll be able to provide those this afternoon.
BrutusNL

Postby BrutusNL » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:00 am

Imagehere's a screenshot of the illegal route. Will post the rest from my desktop in a couple of minutes.
BrutusNL

Postby BrutusNL » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:05 am

Okay, here it is. If you look at the attached screenshot, you will see the correct route, which was calculated by Livemap. But if you look at the previous post you'll see the problem on the junction.

Permalink of the area

and a permalink, zoomed in to the exact area where the illegal right turn is routed.

Beware that the screenshot in the previous post of the client is not northside-up (my green triangle is facing east) and the screenshot of the correct route below is.
Attachments
CorrectRoute.jpg
CorrectRoute.jpg (175.57 KiB) Viewed 1456 times
BrutusNL

Next

Return to Navigation & Routing