Routing ignores all turn restrictions and road closures

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Routing ignores all turn restrictions and road closures

Postby Atlas85 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:26 pm

Haven’t yet read the complete topic BUT: Waze does this A LOT. I’ve seen more than one (or 20, or 50!) occasions where it either leads me into 1-way roads (locked & unlocked), or makes me turn around on the freeway against the traffic. It is a pretty common error, although easily ignorable. It does make routing and navigating hard and unreliable.

EDIT: waze should never ignore manual-restricted intersections and driving directions, as it may assume they are more correct than a road with a missing segment. It should than just give you a warning "Can't find a route", not leading you to your possible death - although you are of course reliable for your own actions.
Atlas85
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby Atlas85 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:53 am

waynemcdougall wrote:
That is a different type of error, and correctable by map editors, and Waze itself will often learn to correct it.

It happens when the junction is set wrong. If a junction shows a turn is allowed then Waze will take it, regardless of the road type. So if two roads are connected Waze will route along them, even if the second road is no entrance, or one-way (and you're being routed in the wrong direction).

They need to be fixed on the map.

They are fixed on the map. No turns are allowed on a freeway and waze should know that. Because it leads to exactly the same problems as BrutusNL describes and is in fact the same problem. Waze ignores no-turn restrictions pretty often, despite what the map says. If 1 segment on a freeway is broken (wrong driving direction, for instance), it makes you turn around on the freeway because of that. Uhm, where is the logic in that? And that's basically what happened to BrutusNL.
Atlas85
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby Atlas85 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:48 am

I think Wayne doesn't actually understand what I am saying. Not at all. The problem is NOT junctions on ramps nor freeways, the problem is Waze ignoring locked segments & restricted turns, no matter where they end up. This problem is very common, and 1 of the occassions I ran into it, was 1 of the examples that BrutusNL gave himself (A2 near Eindhoven). So please Wayne, try to understand what people actually write, do some of the maths yourself (English is not our mother tongue, for none of us in this thread except you) and see that I am talking and pointing out exactly the same problem as BrutusNL. So please let go of the booze and don't visit forums when your drunk so that we don't end up thinking we have to do with a psychopathic narcissistic.
Atlas85
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby Atlas85 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:54 am

Ow, and please Wayne, try to actually take a look at the pictures. In the example on the A2 on Eindhoven from Brutus, there is NO ramp involved at all. In the other example, the road is wrongly labelled ramp, whereas it just is a freeway (ramps take you on or off the freeway, not from 1 freeway to the other, except for the tight bends in the cloverleaf). We (Dutch wazing community) decided this approx. 2 weeks ago, but has not been carried out in the whole country yet).
Atlas85
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby Atlas85 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:19 am

waynemcdougall wrote:So is "prefer road munching" actually working for anyone? Can you show the different routes from same start to same destination with the option on and off?

Yes it works, but only just...Waze tends to send me around routes that are slightly longer than usual and are unmunched BUT it also sends me through routes which are munched but less driven on.
Atlas85
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby Atlas85 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:32 am

Of course Waze will send you through roads with no entrance and such, but known roads (such as all freeways and ramps) with manually restricted turns and locked segments, must never be ignored. Despite the cookie munching enabled. In urban areas with unknown roads and entrance/drivability, it is a different story.
Atlas85
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby Atlas85 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:44 am

"From my experience (and trust me, it's a lot): Waze will never send you down the wrong direction of a 'locked' road or restricted turn on a node attached to a road. It will abort with an error that it can't find a suitable road (in the client, on the live map it fails silently)."

Indeed - you remember the A50-case with the wrong directionality. If Waze would work with a penalty that is not very high, it would definitely have "ordered" me to go just through it. Instead, it planned me around the error: through the A2 (15km detour) or even through cities (Wijchen, Uden, Veghel), delaying the total route for more than 30 minutes. So it does seem to me that locking the segment disables routing over it all together.
IF Waze would unlock segments automatically, as assumed by Wayne, it would have done there, because something was clearly wrong. It doesn't. Locking is for disabling Waze-interference. If locking is being made undone by Waze, there is no point in locking anything. And I haven't seen any locked segment being unlocked automatically. And you know I'm a regular user ;-)
Atlas85
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby BrutusNL » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:47 pm

I must say, it happened for the third time in more than one year of Wazing, but this afternoon it happened again that Waze ignored every restriction on the map including:
- turn restriction
- directionality (one way streets)
- road closure (non drivable or no entrance roads)

Just checked Cartouche and everything is fine there. All restrictions are in place.

Any other Wazers out there who have the same experience?
BrutusNL
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby BrutusNL » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:00 pm

Thanks for your reply Chris, but I am certain that in this specific case it is a bug rather than some sort of optimization thing, because it is a route I have driven hundreds of times already without any problems. It just ignored everything, including elevation differences of more than 2 levels. I agree that it is always nice if Waze is smart, but it can indeed never ignore manually added restrictions. If I would have followed the instructions I would have taken a 4 lane wide roundabout in the wrong direction 8-)
BrutusNL
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby BrutusNL » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:02 am

I didn't pay attention to ETA. Will do that next time.
BrutusNL
Area Manager
Area Manager

Next

Return to Navigation & Routing