Limit to routing distance?

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Limit to routing distance?

Postby ariesboy475 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:02 pm

eg09 wrote:I'm guessing that there isn't a limit to the distance to which you can route directions (ex. 150 miles or whatever)? I ask because this past weekend i tried routing directions to a destination that was 180 miles away. Every time i tried it returned the error 'routing timed out'. Then i tried a destination that was only 80ish miles away and it worked.

I'm guessing it might have been more to do with the roads along my route not being properly set up yet (wrong direction, miss labeled roads, lack of proper connections....).

Anyone else had these issues?

This isn't due to a limit on route, but due to no known routes to the final destination. Somewhere between pt A & pt B, there are roads that have never been driven or edited to connect. Since Waze doesn't have this info, it cannot route it. However if the roads between both pts have been driven multiple times in many main/alternate routes, waze will find the optimum route based on known data.

Waze is best used for daily commutes and in area of high wazer populations. But is very bad for rarely/never used routes, until the complete map is updated and maintained to some high %.
ariesboy475

Postby cobra » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:44 pm

I've seen that, but I thought it was a client or server issue, as the same routes worked at other times.
cobra

Postby cobra » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:11 am

I see the problem in post 1 this morning for local routes. I also see the 'operation failed' message in the data transfer information region shortly after the routing fails. This is for routes I drive on a daily basis, not long distances.
cobra

Postby Dainn » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:28 pm

I've been having this problem in a bad way since I loaded the latest beta (WM 6.1, CF03, Samsung Omnia).

Today on my commute I chose my work location in favorites and it came back as "timed out." Did it again in 10 miles: same result. After doing this a couple more times I went over to Google Maps to get some info and was able to map a route np. Connection was fine, and GPS had 5+ the whole way.

Without the routing I find Waze more trouble than it's worth. I'm not sure what the issue is, but I've been back on Google Maps lately because of this.
Dainn

Postby dandv » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:09 am

I tried to get a route from San Francisco to New York and Waze 1.3.1.0 popped up a message saying that it will not route for distances greater than 200 miles, and that they're working on increasing the limit.

On the server side, longer routes involve more CPU time and memory, so I understand the limitation.
Waze 1.3.1.0 on Android 1.5 - Android Users Howto Wiki

If God is good, why does a child die every 6 seconds?
dandv

Postby jmlehman » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:59 pm

I tried to route from Michigan to New York and I received a notification that a route over 250 miles (I think that was the number) could not be completed yet.
jmlehman

Limit to routing distance?

Postby Lemon » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:04 pm

I'm guessing that there isn't a limit to the distance to which you can route directions (ex. 150 miles or whatever)? I ask because this past weekend i tried routing directions to a destination that was 180 miles away. Every time i tried it returned the error 'routing timed out'. Then i tried a destination that was only 80ish miles away and it worked.

I'm guessing it might have been more to do with the roads along my route not being properly set up yet (wrong direction, miss labeled roads, lack of proper connections....).

Anyone else had these issues?
Attachments
13.jpg
13.jpg (46.33 KiB) Viewed 1708 times
12.jpg
12.jpg (47.01 KiB) Viewed 1708 times
Nexus One | Waze 1.8.99.104 | 2007 Volkswagen GTI | Twin Cities Metro Area Manager | Northeast Iowa Area Manager
Lemon

Postby Lemon » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:15 pm

Makes complete sense now. I figured it might have something to do with explored and unexplored areas. Thanks ;)
Nexus One | Waze 1.8.99.104 | 2007 Volkswagen GTI | Twin Cities Metro Area Manager | Northeast Iowa Area Manager
Lemon

Postby Lemon » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:36 pm

Dainn if you dont mind sharing where are you from?

Someone correct me if im wrong but, it might just be the case that you're in an area where not many waze users have been. Therefore waze doesnt have all the road directions, types, restrictions, intersections, connections, etc down yet. If it cant find a way to route you i think the client might throw an error. If this is the case it's as if you're isolated and stuck until more information is known about your area. Similar to what ariesboy475 was talking about above. It might also be what dandv wrote:
dandv wrote:On the server side, longer routes involve more CPU time and memory, so I understand the limitation.

If you have the time and want to help fix these issues in your local area, become an area manager and see if that might change your routing results ;)
Lemon

Postby Lemon » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:39 am

I did check my route home today. Normally i have no issues. Today i experienced a time out error as well. I know this route and it has worked everyday for the last couple weeks. I solved it by exiting Waze, launching Waze and then re-routing.
Lemon

Next

Return to Navigation & Routing