Routing chooses service road over main road

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Routing chooses service road over main road

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:46 pm

iainhouse wrote:(Welcome to the OCD world of the obsessive Waze Editor :lol: )

Just remember that the purpose of Waze mapping is NOT to recreate the road network and layout with 100% accuracy lane-by-lane and junction-by-junction, but to make it functionally correct, in as simple a layout as possible, while giving accurate turn-by-turn navigation. Often, this means NOT mapping things the same as they appear in real life. Roads split by a median, for example, are often not split on the Waze map because they introduce unnecessary complexity, especially at junctions, while offering no valuable gain in turn-by-turn.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | Oregon Project/To-Do List
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 8.1.2 | Waze v3.9.3.906
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Routing chooses service road over main road

Postby Dizzleyboy » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:32 am

Heading South here on the A626 wrongly routes (editor view) me onto the short service road to the West. The road is a bit more than a parking area having an entrance to the pub.

!. Why do this routing happen?
2. As an interested newbie, how should I request to get this fixed and what kind of edits will be involved?
~~~~
Dizzley
Dizzleyboy

Postby Dizzleyboy » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:12 am

Thanks for the helpful answer.
I'm more than happy that I can do simple edits so I'd like to try the edit.

~ Dizz
Dizzleyboy

Postby Dizzleyboy » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:31 pm

Got that thanks! :)
Dizzleyboy

Postby EasyRiderHR » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:06 pm

I noticed that this issue of choosing a service road over a main road happens quite often, and I am eagerly waiting for a version where that behavior would be fixed. I would say that adding extra weight to service roads in routing algorithm would solve that problem.
EasyRiderHR
Localizers
Localizers

Postby EasyRiderHR » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:04 pm

Thanks for the info! However, wouldn't it be better to convert existing Service Roads to Private Roads instead, rather than into ordinary Streets? Also, would that inherently solve the routing issue?
EasyRiderHR
Localizers
Localizers

Postby iainhouse » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:18 am

Testing routing on the livemap doesn't use that side road, so it can be hard to tell.

One possibility is that, shortly before you came that way, another driver pulled over at the pub. If they weren't routing to the pub, then the combination of poor phone GPS and Waze thinking they would drive past may have left them "snapped" to the main road. After a minute or two of sitting still with Waze on, the servers probably decided there was traffic on the main road and tried routing you through the side road. :lol:

As an editor, the main thing to check is turn restrictions. Click on each segment in turn and you will see green/red arrows indicating allowed/restricted turns. There aren't any here, so that's not a problem. Shift-Z will show all restricted turns - a quick way to check if there's a problem.

Given that there's nothing preventing proper routing, it's time to try & prevent improper routing. If that service road is as you describe it, then the solution is fairly simply - change the road type to Parking Lot Road. Waze should never try to route you through a PLR segment - so this will solve your original problem. The only time routing will use this segment is if the destination is closest to it. An additional advantage is that, if the GPS fix snaps you to the PLR, no traffic jam will be generated.

You can do this edit yourself, or I will do it for you if you like. There's much more information on the Wiki (link in my signature).
UK Country Administrator
AM: London (DELETED), S Wales
Waze 3.7.3 • iPhone 4S (iOS 6.1.3) • Chrome/XP
Community Champ
ImageImage
UK WikiWaze FAQ
My name is Iain and I'm a Wazaholic. I last edited 1 hour ago.
iainhouse
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby iainhouse » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:31 pm

That's it. :mrgreen:

I have made an additional minor change. Looking at the StreetView image, the PLR does not join the main road at the same point as Bong Road. I know - the chances of anyone ever routing out of the PLR and into Bong road (or vice versa) are pretty remote, but it would be nice if they had correct instructions if they did. (Welcome to the OCD world of the obsessive Waze Editor :lol: )

So I've rejoined the PLR to the main road at a separate junction. Also note that it's arranged to have a 90 degree connection - to ensure you get a proper "turn right" when heading south out of the PLR.
UK Country Administrator
AM: London (DELETED), S Wales
Waze 3.7.3 • iPhone 4S (iOS 6.1.3) • Chrome/XP
Community Champ
ImageImage
UK WikiWaze FAQ
My name is Iain and I'm a Wazaholic. I last edited 1 hour ago.
iainhouse
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby Timbones » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:46 pm

Waze said they will be removing Service Roads completely, and converting existing ones to ordinary Streets because of the confusion they cause. Better to use Private Road or Parking Lot types instead.
Timbones(6) • UK Country Coordinator • Forum Moderator • Routing Expert
Scripts: WME Colour Highlights v1.98 (Dec 2014)WME Route Tester
Timbones
Country Manager
Country Manager

Return to Navigation & Routing