Missing prompts

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Missing prompts

Postby waynemcdougall » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:47 pm

deeggo wrote:
waynemcdougall wrote:That's a very good question. It should have worked as it stood. Let's get Waze staff to look at it before the livemap updates. Sorry for trampling on your work @deego

No prob, I'm just not amused that maps that were fine before go wrong now. I think it has happened before the last weeks with other locations in my neighbourhood. I've repaired all that, thinking I must have missed it before or maybe another user or the server had changed things. But of this specific location I'm sure.

Well I can add this. In the last week, Waze has changed the routing instructions. So at a roundabout where it used to be "take the 1st exit", "take the 2nd exit" and "take the 3rd exit" it is now (and correctly) "turn left", "go straight through" and "turn right". What I find particularly interesting is that the "go straight through" is on to a road with a different name. I'm speculating that this change has also meant driving instructions stopped working correctly at this fork - Waze's new algorithm approximates both directions as straight through, and ignores the change in road name. I'm going to email Waze.

While you're listening @Deego, on 21 October you edited this road:
http://world.waze.com/cartouche/?zoom=3 ... 1=89629515

which annoyed me intensely, because it was the focus of attention by Waze support for a routing bug, and I'd asked people not to edit it. :roll: Can you remember what changes you made?

And note that I've made another change to it now for testing purposes - it won't affect routing - please don't edit it in the meantime. Please. It will all be discussed here viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6077

deeggo wrote:
waynemcdougall wrote:As fo editing out of zone. The Eye of Sauron, I mean @Dror has seen this and is displeased and puzzled. I've checked that a baby waxed canfrom New Zealand can edit roads in Canada. I shall do more testing after my xxxxxxx in Berlin, Paris and England. This may be some sort of fault.

I look forward to hearing what´s happening here. Imho, in general, the situation where you would have to have been somewhere to be able to edit there was there for good reasons.

The Nazgul are in pursuit, and it appears to be a fault in my account. I'm sure it will be rectified soon. I don't mind. I can't accurately document using Waze if my account is not normal.
Last edited by waynemcdougall on Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
waynemcdougall

Postby deeggo » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:31 am

waynemcdougall wrote:That's a very good question. It should have worked as it stood. Let's get Waze staff to look at it before the livemap updates. Sorry for trampling on your work @deego

No prob, I'm just not amused that maps that were fine before go wrong now. I think it has happened before the last weeks with other locations in my neighbourhood. I've repaired all that, thinking I must have missed it before or maybe another user or the server had changed things. But of this specific location I'm sure.
waynemcdougall wrote:As fo editing out of zone. The Eye of Sauron, I mean @Dror has seen this and is displeased and puzzled. I've checked that a baby waxed canfrom New Zealand can edit roads in Canada. I shall do more testing after my xxxxxxx in Berlin, Paris and England. This may be some sort of fault.

I look forward to hearing what´s happening here. Imho, in general, the situation where you would have to have been somewhere to be able to edit there was there for good reasons.
deeggo
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby waynemcdougall » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:46 am

deeggo wrote:No, my point is, that the voice instructions were right, before. Both keep right to Breda and keep left to Hilversum. No doubt about that. That's why I'm wondering what changed to make them disappear.

That's a very good question. It should have worked as it stood. Let's get Waze staff to look at it before the livemap updates. Sorry for trampling on your work @deego

As fo editing out of zone. The Eye of Sauron, I mean @Dror has seen this and is displeased and puzzled. I've checked that a baby waxed canfrom New Zealand can edit roads in Canada. I shall do more testing after my xxxxxxx in Berlin, Paris and England. This may be some sort of fault.
waynemcdougall

Postby BrutusNL » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:12 am

Okay, than maybe that's why I never noticed it :)
BrutusNL

Postby deeggo » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:07 am

No, my point is, that the voice instructions were right, before. Both keep right to Breda and keep left to Hilversum. No doubt about that. That's why I'm wondering what changed to make them disappear.
deeggo
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby BrutusNL » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:02 am

deeggo wrote:I'm 100% sure it was OK before!
Cartouche was fine indeed. I never noticed it before, but on the suggestion of on of our fellow Wazers I checked that specific spot and though routing is correct, the instructions were not. If you drive from A12 south to A27 (ri Breda), you should get two instructions to keep right. However you would only get the last of the two, but since they are so close that the 2nd instruction comes before the first split, it looks like it is correct. That's not your fault, but has to do with geometry. The y-split is not wide/sharp enough for Waze to think you have to keep right, but rather just follow the road. What Wayne did is fake a wide/sharper y-split.
BrutusNL

Postby deeggo » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:46 am

waynemcdougall wrote:You did ask me this and I did tell you before. But to repeat myself

Waze staff posted that anyone can edit a base map.
I wrote it up on the wiki in help for dealing with a grid of unnamed roads.

@Brutusnl that was an interesting case. Waze would not direct a turn if you routed either way. So something to work around when there is a fork where the roads very gently curve away.

I hope it works and look forward to the feedback.

I tried some things out. I cannot edit streets in Paris nor Berlin nor London. How is the Netherlands different from France, Germany and England, that you can edit here, but I cannot edit there? England has no basemap yet, but Germany and France have...

On topic: the junction and highways concerned were made by me some time ago. I have passed this point many times and always got the right instructions. Did Waze's algorithm change in a way that even a simple split goes wrong? I'm 100% sure it was OK before!
deeggo
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby waynemcdougall » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:07 pm

BrutusNL wrote:
waynemcdougall wrote:Waze would not direct a turn if you routed either way. So something to work around when there is a fork where the roads very gently curve away.
How can you see the instructions in Livemap?

Oh dear, I didn't mean to lead you astray. No, you can't see route instructions on the Livemap. I just used the client and create two routes that went either way through the fork. Then looked at the direction list on the client. Neither routes offered any turn directions at the fork - neither keep left nor keep right.

I consider this a bug in the routing software, but since the routing (IMO) otherwise works brilliantly, and (I believe) it can be easily fixed with a tweak on the map, I don't intend to holler about it.
waynemcdougall

Postby BrutusNL » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:01 am

waynemcdougall wrote:Waze would not direct a turn if you routed either way. So something to work around when there is a fork where the roads very gently curve away.
How can you see the instructions in Livemap? I can see the route in purple and some sort of summary, but not the instructions themselves. I checked both Chrome and Firefox, but both only show what's in the attached screenshot.
Attachments
RoutingInstructions.jpg
(74.27 KiB) Downloaded 1479 times
BrutusNL

Postby waynemcdougall » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:33 am

You did ask me this and I did tell you before. But to repeat myself

Waze staff posted that anyone can edit a base map.
I wrote it up on the wiki in help for dealing with a grid of unnamed roads.

@Brutusnl that was an interesting case. Waze would not direct a turn if you routed either way. So something to work around when there is a fork where the roads very gently curve away.

I hope it works and look forward to the feedback.
waynemcdougall

PreviousNext

Return to Navigation & Routing