Missing prompts

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Missing prompts

Postby BrutusNL » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:12 am

Okay, than maybe that's why I never noticed it :)
BrutusNL
 
Posts: 342
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:59 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: Missing prompts

Postby waynemcdougall » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:46 am

deeggo wrote:No, my point is, that the voice instructions were right, before. Both keep right to Breda and keep left to Hilversum. No doubt about that. That's why I'm wondering what changed to make them disappear.


That's a very good question. It should have worked as it stood. Let's get Waze staff to look at it before the livemap updates. Sorry for trampling on your work @deego

As fo editing out of zone. The Eye of Sauron, I mean @Dror has seen this and is displeased and puzzled. I've checked that a baby waxed canfrom New Zealand can edit roads in Canada. I shall do more testing after my xxxxxxx in Berlin, Paris and England. This may be some sort of fault.
Waze User Manuals, Map Editing guide and support at http://www.waze.com/wiki
Wayne McDougall
Make Friends with me on Facebook and we'll compete against each other on the Scoreboard
http://www.facebook.com/wayne.w.mcdougall
waynemcdougall
 
Posts: 517
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:59 am
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Missing prompts

Postby deeggo » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:31 am

waynemcdougall wrote:That's a very good question. It should have worked as it stood. Let's get Waze staff to look at it before the livemap updates. Sorry for trampling on your work @deego

No prob, I'm just not amused that maps that were fine before go wrong now. I think it has happened before the last weeks with other locations in my neighbourhood. I've repaired all that, thinking I must have missed it before or maybe another user or the server had changed things. But of this specific location I'm sure.
waynemcdougall wrote:As fo editing out of zone. The Eye of Sauron, I mean @Dror has seen this and is displeased and puzzled. I've checked that a baby waxed canfrom New Zealand can edit roads in Canada. I shall do more testing after my xxxxxxx in Berlin, Paris and England. This may be some sort of fault.

I look forward to hearing what´s happening here. Imho, in general, the situation where you would have to have been somewhere to be able to edit there was there for good reasons.
Global Champ. Country manager Nederland & België
NL: Wiki: hoe label ik een (snel)weg correct?
HTC One M8 | Follow me on Twitter
Join Dropbox, free online file sync! Register through this link and give you and me 250MB extra for free. Thanks!
deeggo
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
 
Posts: 4069
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:21 pm
Has thanked: 510 times
Been thanked: 531 times

Re: Missing prompts

Postby waynemcdougall » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:47 pm

deeggo wrote:
waynemcdougall wrote:That's a very good question. It should have worked as it stood. Let's get Waze staff to look at it before the livemap updates. Sorry for trampling on your work @deego

No prob, I'm just not amused that maps that were fine before go wrong now. I think it has happened before the last weeks with other locations in my neighbourhood. I've repaired all that, thinking I must have missed it before or maybe another user or the server had changed things. But of this specific location I'm sure.


Well I can add this. In the last week, Waze has changed the routing instructions. So at a roundabout where it used to be "take the 1st exit", "take the 2nd exit" and "take the 3rd exit" it is now (and correctly) "turn left", "go straight through" and "turn right". What I find particularly interesting is that the "go straight through" is on to a road with a different name. I'm speculating that this change has also meant driving instructions stopped working correctly at this fork - Waze's new algorithm approximates both directions as straight through, and ignores the change in road name. I'm going to email Waze.

While you're listening @Deego, on 21 October you edited this road:
http://world.waze.com/cartouche/?zoom=3 ... 1=89629515

which annoyed me intensely, because it was the focus of attention by Waze support for a routing bug, and I'd asked people not to edit it. :roll: Can you remember what changes you made?

And note that I've made another change to it now for testing purposes - it won't affect routing - please don't edit it in the meantime. Please. It will all be discussed here viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6077

deeggo wrote:
waynemcdougall wrote:As fo editing out of zone. The Eye of Sauron, I mean @Dror has seen this and is displeased and puzzled. I've checked that a baby waxed canfrom New Zealand can edit roads in Canada. I shall do more testing after my xxxxxxx in Berlin, Paris and England. This may be some sort of fault.

I look forward to hearing what´s happening here. Imho, in general, the situation where you would have to have been somewhere to be able to edit there was there for good reasons.


The Nazgul are in pursuit, and it appears to be a fault in my account. I'm sure it will be rectified soon. I don't mind. I can't accurately document using Waze if my account is not normal.
Last edited by waynemcdougall on Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waze User Manuals, Map Editing guide and support at http://www.waze.com/wiki
Wayne McDougall
Make Friends with me on Facebook and we'll compete against each other on the Scoreboard
http://www.facebook.com/wayne.w.mcdougall
waynemcdougall
 
Posts: 517
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:59 am
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Missing prompts

Postby waynemcdougall » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:23 pm

Copy of email sent:

Dear Waze

The spoken instructions have recently stopped working at a junction. It is *not* due to a map edit.

This route: http://world.waze.com/livemap/?zoom=7&l ... &to_seg=-1
and this route: http://world.waze.com/livemap/?zoom=7&l ... g=89636330
both pass through the same fork, but neither will give instructions to "keep left" or "keep right" at the junction. In fact there are no instructions at this junction at all: http://world.waze.com/cartouche/?zoom=5 ... 1=96439240

Please note that the map has been edited to try and force spoken instructions *but it used to work*. The Livemap and client phones still show the lack of instructions when going through this fork, so you can check it out before the next Livemap update.

You may wish to note that this change (ie the lack of instructions at this junction) seems to have coincided with Waze changing routing instructions. I have noticed that at a roundabout where it used to be "take the 1st exit", "take the 2nd exit" and "take the 3rd exit" it is now (and correctly) "turn left", "go straight through" and "turn right". What I find particularly interesting is that the "go straight through" is on to a road with a different name. I'm speculating that this change has also meant driving instructions stopped working correctly at this fork - perhaps Waze's new algorithm approximates both directions as straight through, and ignores the change in road name.

I'd suggest that a change in road name should always generate a driving instruction (although perhaps not in the case where there are no alternative directions - where a road simply changes its name).

But this case is important - a major freeway ramp, two alternatives - we shouldn't need magic map editing to force it to work, *especially as it was working before*.

I look forward to your reply.

Regards

Wayne McDougall
Waze User Manuals, Map Editing guide and support at http://www.waze.com/wiki
Wayne McDougall
Make Friends with me on Facebook and we'll compete against each other on the Scoreboard
http://www.facebook.com/wayne.w.mcdougall
waynemcdougall
 
Posts: 517
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:59 am
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Missing prompts

Postby deeggo » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:32 pm

waynemcdougall wrote:Well I can add this. In the last week, Waze has changed the routing instructions. So at a roundabout where it used to be "take the 1st exit", "take the 2nd exit" and "take the 3rd exit" it is now (and correctly) "turn left", "go straight through" and "turn right". What I find particularly interesting is that the "go straight through" is on to a road with a different name. I'm speculating that this change has also meant driving instructions stopped working correctly at this fork - Waze's new algorithm approximates both directions as straight through, and ignores the change in road name. I'm going to email Waze.

That's a bummer! The Netherlands is full of roundabouts, many of them with more than 4 exits. So I was hoping they would change every roundabout to #-th exit.

waynemcdougall wrote:While you're listening @Deego, on 21 October you edited this road:
http://world.waze.com/cartouche/?zoom=3 ... 1=89629515

which annoyed me intensely, because it was the focus of attention by Waze support for a routing bug, and I'd asked people not to edit it. :roll: Can you remember what changes you made?

And note that I've made another change to it now for testing purposes - it won't affect routing - please don't edit it in the meantime. Please. It will all be discussed here viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6077

I didn't know that. I just changed its name, cause the name wasn't in accordance with the signs above the road. I just found that out passing that road and changed it after coming home.
Global Champ. Country manager Nederland & België
NL: Wiki: hoe label ik een (snel)weg correct?
HTC One M8 | Follow me on Twitter
Join Dropbox, free online file sync! Register through this link and give you and me 250MB extra for free. Thanks!
deeggo
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
 
Posts: 4069
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:21 pm
Has thanked: 510 times
Been thanked: 531 times

Re: Missing prompts

Postby waynemcdougall » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:21 pm

deeggo wrote:
waynemcdougall wrote:Well I can add this. In the last week, Waze has changed the routing instructions. So at a roundabout where it used to be "take the 1st exit", "take the 2nd exit" and "take the 3rd exit" it is now (and correctly) "turn left", "go straight through" and "turn right". What I find particularly interesting is that the "go straight through" is on to a road with a different name. I'm speculating that this change has also meant driving instructions stopped working correctly at this fork - Waze's new algorithm approximates both directions as straight through, and ignores the change in road name. I'm going to email Waze.

That's a bummer! The Netherlands is full of roundabouts, many of them with more than 4 exits. So I was hoping they would change every roundabout to #-th exit.


I'm curious to understand you correctly. Because I imagine that roundabouts with more than 4 exits will still use the #-th exit approach (whether they will keep - go straight on when it is, I don't know). Or do you want all roundabouts to be consistent in the prompt approach? So you want all roundabouts to say take the nth exit?

deeggo wrote:
waynemcdougall wrote:While you're listening @Deego, on 21 October you edited this road:
http://world.waze.com/cartouche/?zoom=3 ... 1=89629515

which annoyed me intensely, because it was the focus of attention by Waze support for a routing bug, and I'd asked people not to edit it. :roll: Can you remember what changes you made?

And note that I've made another change to it now for testing purposes - it won't affect routing - please don't edit it in the meantime. Please. It will all be discussed here viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6077

I didn't know that. I just changed its name, cause the name wasn't in accordance with the signs above the road. I just found that out passing that road and changed it after coming home.


An unhappy (for me) coincidence. But good work by you, as usual. So you didn't lock that road segment?
Waze User Manuals, Map Editing guide and support at http://www.waze.com/wiki
Wayne McDougall
Make Friends with me on Facebook and we'll compete against each other on the Scoreboard
http://www.facebook.com/wayne.w.mcdougall
waynemcdougall
 
Posts: 517
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:59 am
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Missing prompts

Postby deeggo » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:21 pm

waynemcdougall wrote:I'm curious to understand you correctly. Because I imagine that roundabouts with more than 4 exits will still use the #-th exit approach (whether they will keep - go straight on when it is, I don't know). Or do you want all roundabouts to be consistent in the prompt approach? So you want all roundabouts to say take the nth exit?


I guess I misunderstood you. I thought you said all roundabouts will now be in the "keep left/right/continue straight" format. I guess you didn't mean that and indeed they're not, as I witnessed today in my car. My personal perference is that all roundabouts would be in "take the #th exit" format. I have been annoyed for a long time by a oval shaped roundabout in my region, that triggers a continue straight for both continuing straight (which is the 2nd exit) and turning left (which is the 3rd exit). Support couldn't get it right either. Imho it is clear that the server cannot always properly tell what is straight and what not. So better not use that then. The number of the exit however is always exact. No interpretation by the server needed.
waynemcdougall wrote:An unhappy (for me) coincidence. But good work by you, as usual. So you didn't lock that road segment?

I'm not sure. I changed its name. It should have been locked before, since I always lock oneway roads. So I had no reason to really check upon its current state of locking. But it's also possible that I checked its locking state as I was in the edit dialogue anyway. Just can't tell for sure.

In general however, a oneway road that has been editted by me, no matter what property changed, ends up locked.
Global Champ. Country manager Nederland & België
NL: Wiki: hoe label ik een (snel)weg correct?
HTC One M8 | Follow me on Twitter
Join Dropbox, free online file sync! Register through this link and give you and me 250MB extra for free. Thanks!
deeggo
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
 
Posts: 4069
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:21 pm
Has thanked: 510 times
Been thanked: 531 times

Re: Missing prompts

Postby waynemcdougall » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:34 am

deeggo wrote:
waynemcdougall wrote:I'm curious to understand you correctly. Because I imagine that roundabouts with more than 4 exits will still use the #-th exit approach (whether they will keep - go straight on when it is, I don't know). Or do you want all roundabouts to be consistent in the prompt approach? So you want all roundabouts to say take the nth exit?


I guess I misunderstood you. I thought you said all roundabouts will now be in the "keep left/right/continue straight" format. I guess you didn't mean that and indeed they're not, as I witnessed today in my car.


Sorry for not being clear. I think most roundabouts replace an intersection where four roads meet, and in these it appears waze is trying very hard for left, straight through and right, as the directions. They seemed to have done very well, although I've met one roundabout and can't see why it doesn't get the same treatment.

deeggo wrote: My personal perference is that all roundabouts would be in "take the #th exit" format.


I think you are in a minority. I've seen lots of forum posts where people have been trying to figure out the magic rules for a go straight through command.

deeggo wrote: I have been annoyed for a long time by a oval shaped roundabout in my region, that triggers a continue straight for both continuing straight (which is the 2nd exit) and turning left (which is the 3rd exit). Support couldn't get it right either. Imho it is clear that the server cannot always properly tell what is straight and what not. So better not use that then. The number of the exit however is always exact. No interpretation by the server needed.


You make a good point. I've never suffered that, but we're not big on roundabouts in my country. I'd really like to look at this one of yours - could you give a permalink, if you don't mind me having a look.
Waze User Manuals, Map Editing guide and support at http://www.waze.com/wiki
Wayne McDougall
Make Friends with me on Facebook and we'll compete against each other on the Scoreboard
http://www.facebook.com/wayne.w.mcdougall
waynemcdougall
 
Posts: 517
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:59 am
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Missing prompts

Postby deeggo » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:41 am

waynemcdougall wrote:
deeggo wrote: I have been annoyed for a long time by a oval shaped roundabout in my region, that triggers a continue straight for both continuing straight (which is the 2nd exit) and turning left (which is the 3rd exit). Support couldn't get it right either. Imho it is clear that the server cannot always properly tell what is straight and what not. So better not use that then. The number of the exit however is always exact. No interpretation by the server needed.


You make a good point. I've never suffered that, but we're not big on roundabouts in my country. I'd really like to look at this one of yours - could you give a permalink, if you don't mind me having a look.

I don't mind. It's a roundabout above a freeway. Here it is. Coming from the east, and turning left (the exit where the purple line points to in the image below) triggers the same 'at the rndbt continue straight' as going straight (where the yellow line points to).

Bilthoven.jpg
Bilthoven.jpg (65.44 KiB) Viewed 1159 times
Global Champ. Country manager Nederland & België
NL: Wiki: hoe label ik een (snel)weg correct?
HTC One M8 | Follow me on Twitter
Join Dropbox, free online file sync! Register through this link and give you and me 250MB extra for free. Thanks!
deeggo
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
 
Posts: 4069
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:21 pm
Has thanked: 510 times
Been thanked: 531 times

PreviousNext

Return to Navigation & Routing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot]