Experiencing "Searching for Networks" Problem

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Experiencing "Searching for Networks" Problem

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:29 pm

I also agree that this red prompt is appearing too often, such as switching cell towers, and stays onscreen for a few minutes. Sometimes it recovers. Other times, it stays and I have to shut down/wake up.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby karlminc » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:29 pm

I have also been experiencing this same problem for the past month or so on my Andriod phone. Waze is constantly losing the network connection and I have tried everything from shutting the app down and restarting, restarting my phone to just going into and out of all of the different Waze features to try to get it to connect to the network. Nothing has worked so far, which is very frustrating as this was easily my favorite and most frequently used cell phone app. I don't understand what happened to it all of a sudden as I never used to experience these kinds of constant network connection issues. I just downloaded a GPS app for my phone and will see if that does the trick.
karlminc

Postby ctpoole » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:26 pm

I have experienced the "searching for network" issue many times but I think I have an even more difficult issue. As I drive along a segment of US-84 in Texas were I know the Cell coverage for data is weak, I expect to loose the network, but what I have seen is that after a few disconnect/reconnects that eventually Waze appears to stop really trying to connect even though the "searching for network" error message is displayed. I tried stopping navigation and several other things to try to get things back. What I have discovered is I think is that its a memory related issue. If I force an exit of Waze (I am on an iPhone) and also stop at least one other app, then restart Waze things reconnect and we can continue routing correctly. When I just do the exit of the app and restart it never reconnects.

I haven't tried turning off the radio completely (set Airplane Mode), but I will have another opportunity to experience this tomorrow since I am driving the route that I know causes this issue. I will try the Airplane Mode work around and see what happens.
Area Manager: Austin and Southeast Texas
[ img ]
ctpoole

Postby finzivw » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:52 pm

No one is coming forward from Waze with a solution! It is so frustrating here in the UK. I go to preferred netwok on android and change to or from 3G and 4G often this works. As stated sometimes it comes back other times it seems to lock on searching for network. Someone out there please help!!
finzivw

Postby nick-name » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:19 pm

If remembering and understood correctly from reading other threads and discussions, the network sought for, is not the mobile phone network. It is rather the (network of) Waze servers that can not be connected to. The problem can depend on many things.
Poor coverage of the mobile network at current position of user.
Congested mobile network, even with good reception (ie proper radio quality), there might not be room for everybody's data traffic.
Problems on the way to/at the other end, eg Waze servers having bad time or something else.
[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]

MapRaids: WoWs2 Pakistan, Russia, WoW India (2017 Chhattisgarh, 2018 Uttar Pradesh), MMR-X (Swaziland)
nick-name
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby mikupoiss » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:08 pm

I had it today out of the blue.
Every other app that uses internet had no connection or data problems. But Waze couldn't get anything from its servers... Only the map was being displayed.
mikupoiss
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby finzivw » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:15 pm

nick-name wrote:If remembering and understood correctly from reading other threads and discussions, the network sought for, is not the mobile phone network. It is rather the (network of) Waze servers that can not be connected to. The problem can depend on many things.
Poor coverage of the mobile network at current position of user.
Congested mobile network, even with good reception (ie proper radio quality), there might not be room for everybody's data traffic.
Problems on the way to/at the other end, eg Waze servers having bad time or something else.

Many thanks for the information. So back to Waze to get its act together and sort the problem out. Especially bad today with no buses running in London causing lots of traffic problems.
finzivw

Postby ctpoole » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:20 pm

I just drove the US-84 route that I had reported here about in the past and the issue was much much worse. I understand that it about connectivity to the routing servers, but the way the app behaves when it is having this difficulty makes using it for routing when I really don't know where I am going unacceptable. I actually left the route to go into a convenience store and Waze completely lost the route and would not even display the old route. Eventually about 75 miles along, it finally got a connection to the routing server and presto, the existing route reappeared.

What I would like is: (1) a meaningful error message (2) better behavior when the connection fails (3) reliable reconnections to the server as the data connection changes.
Area Manager: Austin and Southeast Texas
[ img ]
ctpoole

Postby finzivw » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:05 pm

I have moaned before about searching for network. Waze seems to freeze on search but now I find if I turn off wifi and restart mobile making waze use my 3/4G when reconnecting it has so far worked without a problem. Give it a try. ;)
finzivw

Postby martin81cool » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:38 pm

so here ´s the deal...waze might have some server issues on replying to requests from a NAT server on a wireless network or something similar.
Waze was working totally fine on my phone until last week when I realized my wireless operator made some changes on its IP network.
until last week my phone was always getting a public IP address 191.232.x.x and since last saturday I start getting a 10.x.x.x IP address which is a private one.
From knowing someone working at that wireless company, I know that they resently deployed a NAT equipment since they ran out of IPv4 addresses and now they give to its users private IP addresses that are then translated to public ones.
probably is something that WAZE support should approach more seriously.

regards
martin81cool

PreviousNext

Return to Navigation & Routing